ZK's ZF-1 research thread

Re: ZK's ZF-1 reasearch/build thread

did the prop makers from TFE raid the Paramount Star Trek art department or what?

Nah. The models were released in '96 and were readily available on retail shelves during pre-production.

Here's what I got done for Dragon Con (note: rear detail awaiting completion...after the halloween rush)

Scope_side.jpg

Nice video, thanks for pointing it out.

Would be nice if they did a whole session on the ZF-1......maybe it could be requested that they do an article on it?

One of the most iconic guns and they just quickly pan over it? It's obvious they really didn't want to show it. There isn't even a whole shot of it. Looks like someone has gutted it of it's top parts too. Not really much help in the quest for parts, i have better screenshots. Some cool other stuff in the vid though. It's kinda of like a thanks for nothing. Not to you Nick but to PSoL.

Cantwell models? whuzzat???

I'm going to do some high-def screen caps to try to match up to the plasma-photos earlier in this thread. Maybe some clarity and detail will bring new discoveries.

Were ALL of those photos taken from the scene where Zorg hands out the pods to the mangalores?

Ok so been brainstorming on how this is going to come together and noticed a few interesting things

First off, theres a second set of fins behind the yellow rocket that I hadn't seen mentioned yet. It seems to me to be the rear fins from the same Bullpup model rocket that the nose cone is from, basically like they shortened the body tube.

Also been doing some ak-74U picture scaling myself and to me it doesn't seem the zf-1's trigger could be anywhere near the real ak trigger. The trigger on AK is within an inch or so of a line drawn from bottom of the barrel, but the zf-1 trigger is easily 2-3 inches below that point. The gun in the picture I included isnt very accurate, but shows off the point I'm making well, you can see the same situation with the movie screencaps.

nice comparison shot, however it is a fan build so might not be exactly correct dimensions.

try it with a screen cap maybe?

found this in my files, its not very big sorry

Last edited:

Um, yea Seabass, throw that right-hand reference pic away - that's my 2004 Dragon Con Effort, and it's off by about 3 inches in length. Also, your AK-74 reference is too small and needs a Polish 30rnd steel mag to replace the Bakalite one.

WOW, very good detective work! Im so impressed...I cant figure out how you guys can find all these part just using refpics.

I might be able to help out with the shell, I own the original mold that was used to produce the pods for the film, plus I have a production used hero shell. Maybe a small run could be made if people here needs one??

Fantastic work!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back