Studio Scale 1933 King Kong Stop Motion Puppet Replica

Ok, here's 2 work in progress pics of the fur job. Sorry about the darker front image but he's currently without ankle joints (I'm having them re-worked along with his new hand armatures) so I had to prop him up the best I could without feet, thus not being able to angle him better in the light. The back image however gives you a better idea on the color of the fur. I'll be getting his replacement armature parts back this weekend, so I'll be able to wrap up the fur job very soon!

This is the greatest thing ever made.

All I want is a little Kong on my bedside table to wish me happy dreams every night. Twood be glorious... :)

Nick

Hey guys, just wanna thank everybody for all the kind words and support that you all have thrown my way since I began this project!! I truly do feel honored to be able to share my projects on here along with sooooo many other master craftsmen and artists!!!! The fur is really flying over here, I've just been fine tuning, patching and seaming what I got done in the pics above while waiting for my replacement armature parts, and the big guy is really starting to come to life! I'm at the point now where I'd like to start getting together a customer list, so all you RPFers and Kong lovers out there who are interested in having one of these either pm me for details or contact me through my website at Welcome to Fantamation Studio!

You've done an amazing job capturing Kong's magic.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nick

You've done nice job of capturing Kong's character....not an easy thing to do since his face changes so much throughout the film. Your likeness reminds me a lot of the one David Allen used for the Volkswagon commercial.

It's amazing how much a foam exterior changes the effectiveness of the armature, isn't it? It's always better to over-engineer an armature. No matter how much stress you think it can withstand, it's a whole different ball game once the exterior is added.

I'm in the process of recreating a Mighty Joe Young puppet and I've decided to go the buildup route as Marcel Delgado did rather than cast it. This way I can keep track of the armature's workability as I go.

Great job! Can't wait to see it complete and animated!

You've done nice job of capturing Kong's character....not an easy thing to do since his face changes so much throughout the film. Your likeness reminds me a lot of the one David Allen used for the Volkswagon commercial.

Actually the likeness I'm trying to replicate is the one at the end of the film where he's on top of the Empire State bldg. Also that same puppet with that likeness was used for some of the New York rampage scenes, but when I sculpted the face I strictly went by his face on the Empire State sequence. I have a high def tv on my workbench and I would pause the dvd for the various angles I needed to reference and I would literally try to copy his detail line for line and wrinkle for wrinkle. I've literally seen the entire end sequence of King Kong frame by frame!

It's amazing how much a foam exterior changes the effectiveness of the armature, isn't it? It's always better to over-engineer an armature. No matter how much stress you think it can withstand, it's a whole different ball game once the exterior is added.

I would have liked to over engineer the armature but since I'm making a limited run of these I really have to try and keep the costs down so as to make these puppet replicas as affordable as I can, I have to keep the armatures as simple as possible while at the same time functional and durable.

I'm in the process of recreating a Mighty Joe Young puppet and I've decided to go the buildup route as Marcel Delgado did rather than cast it. This way I can keep track of the armature's workability as I go.

I've seen your Mighty Joe armature through the stop-mo website and let me say what an absolute thing of beauty it is!!! It's literally a work of art by itself!! That's so cool that your doing a Joe using the build-up method, again since I'm doing a limited run of these I have to rely on molds although the cool thing about using silicone is once I have a casting I can cut away sections to free up as much movement as I want and just replace the missing silicone sections with poly-foam.... it's really working out great!

Well, I'm making these as display pieces only, If I was making these to be used for animation I wouldn't be using silicone, I'd use foam latex simply for it's extreme light weight. Now if anyone wants one of these for animation purposes then I would be more than happy to accommodate them!!

I screwed up the above post, that last reply on the bottom was supposed to be included with my other replies inside the quote box..... sorry bout that.

I just visited your thread over at the Stopmo Forum and am totally blown away! Please start a thread of your progress here. Your Mighty Joe Young is a thing of beauty!

Nick

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back