Studio Scale 1933 King Kong Stop Motion Puppet Replica

FANTAMATION

Hey Everyone (especially you Kong fans),
Due to the success of how well the Tauntaun puppets came out, I'm going to go for a project that I've wanted to tackle for a long time..... To make a SS animation puppet replica of the 1933 Marcel Delgado Kong. Now, at the moment, I'm up to my armpits in Tauntaun fur and will continue working on these critters until I've finished all the ones that have been ordered. In the meantime, I'd like to see what kind of interest this thread generates amongst you Kong fans out there and to find out if a limited run of these would be of any interest as well.

Wow, that would be a dream prop for me! I suspect the price may be out of my reach . . .

HH

I'm going to approach this project pretty much the same way I did the Tauntauns, with keeping affordability a priority as much as possible. Now since we're talking about a puppet that is much bigger (approx. 18" tall) compared to the approx. 11" tall Tauntaun there's obviously going to be more materials being consumed. On the other hand, the Tauntauns had all the saddle gear, straps, rigging, plus the Luke rider figure that I had to deal with which takes alot of time to produce and as we all know TIME is the biggest cost factor! I won't be able to come up with an exact figure until I'm a little deeper into the project and I can more accurately figure out costs, but I can say right now that I will try my best to keep the cost around the same as the Tauntauns and hopefully I can find ways as I go to make it even cheaper.

I just wanted to throw in a couple of pics of a commissioned sculpture I did of the Kong log roll scene, it was done so the guy could paint it and dress it himself. The Kong figure here is approx. 10.5" tall.

I already have the sideshow armature, so I don't know if I need another Kong. If he's a good as the taun I will probably be tempted to get one!

Mike

I already have the sideshow armature, so I don't know if I need another Kong. If he's a good as the taun I will probably be tempted to get one!

Mike

Funny you should mention the sideshow armature because I was going to ask everyone out there who has one if there might be one person who would be willing to let me borrow the skull and lowerjaw so I could mold it and be able to cast a resin duplicate to use on my armature, which I'm having Tom Brierton build for me. I could sculpt my own skull but it would be SOOOOO much easier if I could just mold the sideshow one, plus the fact that it would be 100% accurate. I would of course pay for shipping both ways and I would do it immediately upon receiving it so I could return it right away. So anybody out there who would be willing to help me out with this I would GREATLY appreciate it!

uh-uh, man, recasting licensees is a no-no around here.

I didn't think that would be an issue since the cast skull would be used inside the puppet. Oh well, then maybe somebody out there could take some dimension measurements for me at least and I'll just sculpt my own.

I’m not sure, but is this the original 1933 Kong ?

kong.jpg

I took the picture back in 1995, at the Museum of the Moving Image in London.

I think that's Mighty Joe Young. IIRC, though, it was a reused Kong armature. Completely new flesh and sculpt, though.

That is indeed Mr. Joseph Young, although the Kong armatures were not used in the making of the Joe puppets, Joe's armatures were completely machined from scratch. There were 6 Joe puppets built for the film, one 5" one 10" and four 15" tall.

I never can’t tell the difference between the Kong and the Joe puppets, they al look the same to me.
Joe doesn’t look that bad for a 46 year old monkey :D

It's been awhile and I just wanted to update my thread here, I'm hoping to have the finished armature in my hands within a couple of weeks. As soon as I have it I will post pics and then this project will start rolling! Carson, thanks for your interest bud! I can't wait to get this thing started!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back