Studio Scale 1933 King Kong Stop Motion Puppet Replica

Just now stumbled on this thread... :eek

What a terrific project. Looking forward to following your progress, and more than interested in participating should you offer these. :love

Hi there, wow that looks soo good ...hope you ship finished model next week to me ...LOL !!!!
just kidding take your time as this is pure genius art !!!!
by the way will you offer interchangabel heads for this ???
regards
D.

Well, it's been quite awhile, but I'm finally getting back to working on this. Just getting started with blocking out the body and legs, stay tuned.......

Smoothed out and fine tuned the body proportions, added detail to the chest pecs, next will be to start fine tuning and detailing the face

WOW!!! I just discovered this forum. Can someone Pm me details on purchasing this item. That piece is insane looking.

Sal

Smoothed out and fine tuned the body proportions, added detail to the chest pecs, next will be to start fine tuning and detailing the face

I already have the sideshow armature, so I don't know if I need another Kong. If he's a good as the taun I will probably be tempted to get one!

Facial detail almost done. Keep in mind my little cheapy camera makes the head look bigger than it really is, to the naked eye in person it's proportionate. Also because of the light colored clay I know it's hard to see alot of the detail due to the light bouncing back, when I get the face finished I'll take pics of it in a different location with a little less light.

Hey Everyone (especially you Kong fans),
Due to the success of how well the Tauntaun puppets came out, I'm going to go for a project that I've wanted to tackle for a long time..... To make a SS animation puppet replica of the 1933 Marcel Delgado Kong. Now, at the moment, I'm up to my armpits in Tauntaun fur and will continue working on these critters until I've finished all the ones that have been ordered. In the meantime, I'd like to see what kind of interest this thread generates amongst you Kong fans out there and to find out if a limited run of these would be of any interest as well.

Hey guys i would be interested in this Kong puppet, i have been resurching one for some time now, Looks like this might be the place.
E-mail me with contact info and I'll give you a call.
Thanks and GOD Bless.....

Well, after having the sculpture completed and all walled up ready for plaster, it just didn't look right to me, it seemed a bit too small overall and the head seemed too big. So, the only way to be sure was to get a hold of one of the Sideshow/Bob Burns armatures for comparison. Luckily, a friend of mine (THANK YOU Spankuh!!!!!) let me borrow his and HOLY CRAP, was it ever off! Pretty much 90% of my armature was wrong, the whole thing was just too small, the only part that was right was the head which is why it looked so big.
After the realization set in, I knew I was going to have to scrap the sculpt and tear it apart to get to the armature so I could make the changes to it. Well, after several weeks of tearing down and basically re-doing the whole damned thing, this Phoenix is nearly ready to rise again from the ashes. I've got Kong about 90% back together and NOW he looks the way he should!!! I'll have pics ready to post in a couple of days of the much improved and now definitely 100% studio scale accurate Kong!!

Can't wait to see the new sculpt.

Would you be willing to post the accurate measurements of the armature? I'd love to sculpt a static version one day.

Nick

Okay, it took me a little longer to get Kongs physique and musculature blocked out to where I like it, so here he is, finally looking like he should! You'll have to excuse the marbled look, I really had to pack on the clay so I used up some old clay of a different color I had lying around. Now that I have the backboard up again behind him it's time to start getting the wall up around him for plastering, and as I'm doing that I'll also start doing the finishing work on the detail of the face, chest pecs, fingers and toes!

:eek

I've had experiences when I realized that something I had been working on diligently was not correct, and it took the air out of my sails. I still have projects that I haven't returned to after years because I just haven't been able to recover the enthusiasm. So I really admire the way you were willing to tear apart your hard work, go back to square one, and rebuild him when you recognized that your first version was not correct.

He's gorgeous! :love

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back