Color over chrome paint

GBrittelleJr

I've found that for the buck, Rusteolum chrome and Alclad II are the best chrome paints. But I've never tried to neither clear coat them, nor paint a candy coat over them. I've got a prop that requires a reflective (mirrored would be nice, but not necessary) green finish. My question are could I paint the prop chrome then tint futura floor wax, or could I just paint a candy coat over the chrome, then seal that. In my pea-brain, sealing over a candy coat shouldn't dull the chrome paint, right?

Also, with the Rusteolum paint, I noticed I got a better shine when I buffed it. Would super-fine steel wool still be too abbraisive for that paint? Thanks for the help!!

All I can tell you is that I have tried to clear coat "chrome" paints and it never works. I have tried acrylic, wood floor sealant and latex clear coats and nothing works. IF you try it, do a test first.

Brad

Tamiya makes clear acrylic colors that work great over chrome.

Here's a Cutey Honey kit that I painted. The 'pants' area is chrome. The red and yellow areas are Tamiya clear red and yellow over the chrome paint.

cute3.jpg

What chrome paint is that clutch, all the ones i have used have dulled when laquered ...mostly plasticote(which sucks anyway) and even rustoleum and krylon. be good to know what one does work :cool

It is rustoleum. I never sealed it due to that problem. And it is delicate. Even after days of drying, you can mar the finish with fingerprints. The colored areas turned out to be stronger because Tamiya clear paints dry to a nice, glossy finish that is pretty durable.

It is rustoleum. I never sealed it due to that problem. And it is delicate. Even after days of drying, you can mar the finish with fingerprints. The colored areas turned out to be stronger because Tamiya clear paints dry to a nice, glossy finish that is pretty durable.

This may be an idiot question, but have you tried just using standard Tamiya clearcoat over the chrome?

Tamiya makes clear acrylic colors that work great over chrome.

Here's a Cutey Honey kit that I painted. The 'pants' area is chrome. The red and yellow areas are Tamiya clear red and yellow over the chrome paint.

cute3.jpg

Did you mask the pants area when you sprayed on the red, and if so what did you use?

I've found using low tack masking tape and even liquid mask ruin the chrome surface, when it is peeled off.

Clutch, that is exactly what I was looking for. And I already had rusteolum chrome, so I'm double stoked that it should finish like that! WOO!!!:love

But I've had a rather difficult time trying to find Tamiya in a clear green rattle can; just the 10ml bottles for airbrushing. But I have found Testors. Any idea of that works just the same?

Last edited:
thanks clutch , looks great by the way , did you spray it black before adding the chrome finish or was that straight onto primer. Rustoleum does take a little time to dry but plasticote never seems to really dry !

It has been so long since I painted that kit. I basecoated it black before the chrome. I also masked it with masking tape but I would stick the tape to my pant leg several times so that it was still sticky, but wouldn't peel the paint off. You might be able to do the same with frisket paper, but I have yet to try some.

I also airbrushed the colors with an airbrush. I have no experience with Tamiya rattle cans. Sorry.

The Tamiya clear sounds like a very good solution. I don't know why I didn't do that with this kit. If you airbrush it, make sure to get a nice wet coat just short of dripping so that you won't dull the chrome finish.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back