Lightsaber Calculator Bubbles NEW DISCOVERY!!!

Indeed Trilan ... sorry for not replying sooner but I'm a little pre-occupied with mom being in hospital and having to take care of my dad too ... so I will try to visit the rpf as much as I can and reply when I have a moment to myself :)

By the way ... don't throw away that greenish circuit board it can be recycled for use under Vader's bubbles strip ;)

Chaim

It arrived-- and it is cool.

here it is with some other bubble strips:
bubbles.jpg

That's it on the far right.

From the left, the others are a Blas-tech MPP clamp bubbles, TCSS Graflex bubbles, TCSS MPP clamp bubbles, board/bubbles I pulled out of a TI earlier in this thread, then the new one. You can see they are big and super clear.

I held it up to my various clamps and it's too long for most of them-- and I am reticent to cut it hence it chips or I get sloppy. It might fit in a Greflex with a bit of shaving of the sides. When my repro from Roman shows up I'll try it.

View attachment 599311

Bubbles and board integrated as one unit. It's either NOS or just new. Electronics supplier from France, $8. They also have a red 4-bubble.
I think it would be cool to display some messages in Aurebesh on that thing... Unfortunately, not all characters map too well to the segment pattern.
You could get D, F,H, I, K, L, Q, R, S, V, W and Z. Maybe A, B, C, and J. Others are almost impossible though, although I suppose you could use W (a box) as O, etc.

Excellent thread as I am dealing with 2 Exactra 20's that each have a different type of bubble strip, same bubbles but one's a frosted base and the other is clear.

Darn it Jim. I should have found this original thread here, Edraven99 *just* pointed it out after I posted a Exactra 20 model comparison under my build thread. He sent me his Exactra which has the clear base for my Luke ANH build and I'm sending him my frosted base version so I thought I had better document it before shipping my Exactra to him.

Link here:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=252507&page=2

Some pictures here, more on the above thread link:
_1cl5468_TopAndBottom_01_2048.jpg_1cl5471_ClearCloseUp_01_2048.jpg_1cl5470_FrostedCloseUp_01_2048.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts. If needed would you like me to re-post my message to this thread?

Cheers,

Chip

---

Last edited:
Hi George L,

I've read your excellent thread and love that you used a brown piece of cloth underneath your Exactras too ... and yes feel free to add your insights to this thread as well :)

Chaim

hmmm can't find the seller... is it done?

Hey NeoRutty, if you're still searching for one of these, it's a Three-five Systems Inc. Type: TSA1605A. The seller's name is "electosurplus"
The description is "8 digit alphanumeric micro LED display - RED 14 segment no Nixie - bubble type".

Took me forever to find it this afternoon, I just 'lit the saber' on two of these after finding this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu2R_YwkKkQ

I'm so gonna try and make mine read "I BELONG TO RIDIRE FIREAN" and maybe some other stuff if I can make sense of how these things work.

I'm a little apprehensive about all the giggly-g ook on the underside of the board, and hope that I can figure out how to fit all of that mess inside a GRAFLEX. Or even better, if ErvPlecter happened to stop by here and say he has an idea as to how to run one of these boards off of the Crystal Focus v8, I'd be stoked!

Looking at the back of my
TI SR-51-II, there's only 20 wires leading in to the led circuit board. How in the world that controls 12 - 14segment leds is beyond me.

I wonder if you couldn't bypass having a (control box?) and just wire a static display off of the back of these?

http://huinink.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/8x8-p.jpg

Guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks! I figure, worst case scenario, I shave 'em down and stuff 'em in the clamp without worrying about the electronics and have a sweet SethS style activation board!!!

After thought... would these fit in a Canon Flash Unit Model X or Y???

I have created what I call a data base for this vintage Exactra fever we all go though, at least at one point.
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=260479

It was recently pointed out to me that this type of thread exist and of course I knew that. I was only trying to create a Data Base with a simple cut-and-paste model to document Exactra calculator types, that is all. If I am off course, please correct me. If tthe maker's wish me to delete the 'data base' thread, then let me know. Was just trying to help out, only in another format.

Sym-Cha, believe you me I could not have learned what I know without your dedication on this thread here.

Cheers,

Chip
---

I wonder what it was that needed to be refurbished ... great looking bubbles ... excellent for Vader ROTJ ... and of course all other lightsaber variants :)

Chaim

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back