Lightsaber Calculator Bubbles NEW DISCOVERY!!!

The pic in question is more commonly refered to as the Tunisa pic.
It's the one that shows washers on both transistors, no cap on the handwheel, no wires or screws in the clamp, and a very dark colored grenade and emitter.

Edit: here ya go

obinewscanbh3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks scarf man,

too bad the picture is not sharp enough to determine whether the bubbles are round or flattened :confused

Are those grooves in the grenade body longer then in the grenade in my pictures? :confused

-Chaim

I believe on the Obi Saber the bubbles were clear with the flat edges.

In the pic posted above, the photograph was not of the saber itself, but a cropped section of Obi-Wan.

The image is grainy and hard to see detail because the camera was so far away from the Saber. But there was a lot of sunlight and the Saber is nice and bright.

I believe if you look at the area I circled, you will see the inside of the clamp showing through the clear plastic bubble strip.

I know the frosted one is translucent, not opaque, but I don't think it a photograph like this you would see the inside of the clamp at all. From as far away as the photographer was, all you would see is white-looking plastic.

clampdetail_2-vi.jpg

Hi James,

Thanks for joining in this thread. You could be correct however then your own composite is not accurate either since that's the same Exactra 20 as is mine ... with the round bubbles. Is it an Exactra 20 that you own or just a picture of one for comparison?

-Chaim

OK. I have had contact with him when I mentioned the flattened sides in another thread. He was not aware of them but appreciated the discovery.

So in fact it's going to be rather hard to tell whether or not the people from Bapty used flattened or round bubbles in their lightsaber props aside from the Vader ROTJ MPP which are flattened. IMHO the flattened sides are much more common in most Exactra 19 and 20 and TI 2000 and also most likely not frosted which seems to be generally believed to be the ones that were used most of the time as activation buttons for the screen used lightsabers ... bubble replica's still can be ordered here :

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=67567

-Chaim

Last edited:
Considering they used these Exactra bubble strips on so many saber props, they obviously had easy enough access to them. Isn't there a possibility throughout all the publicity shots, stunt props, hero props, etc. - that along the way they may have lost a bubble strip here and there and had to replace it a few times? There are some publicity shots of Luke in ESB with a broken grip on his saber (by the silver screw).

My point is that they could have used both flattened sides and round sides. Just like us, when they opened the calculators, they didn't know which they would have.

Food for thought...

They're pretty interesting details, the flat vs. round bubbles, and the frosted vs. clear sides... but as to which variations were used on which sabers, I don't think we'll ever know. Just like the nomenclature on Obi-Wan's grenade, or the hot or cold sink knob, the kind of detailed reference photos you'd need just aren't out there (apart from the ESB/ROTJ Vader saber of course). And these new calculator bubble details may be the smallest yet.

Last edited:
Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH Lightsaber :

Exactra 20 Bubbles preferable round - Check

Graflex 3-Cell Clamp - Check

Tiny screws - Check

2 x Pieces of wire/ Nails - Check

D-Ring - Check

Browning 7.7 mm Booster - Check

Armitage Shanks (Millennia Traditional) Handwheel - :confused
WWI British Rifle Grenade No.3 Mk.1 - :confused :confused
Rolls Royce Derwent 8 Jet Engine Balance Tube - :confused :confused :confused :confused
Motorola Transistors TO-99 x 2 - :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused

:lol

-Chaim

Last edited:
Why all the :confused's? Sounds pretty straightforward to me! :p

Obi-Wan Kenobi ANH Lightsaber :

Exactra 20 Bubbles preferable round - Check

Graflex 3-Cell Clamp - Check

Tiny screw - Check

2 x Pieces of wire/ Nails - Check

Armitage Shanks Millennia Traditional Handwheel - :confused
WWI British Rifle Grenade No.3 Mk.1 - :confused :confused
Browning 7.7 mm Booster - :confused :confused :confused
Rolls Royce Derwent 8 Jet Engine Balance Tube - :confused :confused :confused :confused
Motorola Transistors TO-99 x 2 - :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused

:lol

-Chaim

LOL

When you live in the UK ... where they have all these parts just available ... around the corner !

-Chaim

Last edited:
Unless you've seen an original correct handwheel in a package, I wouldn't attach a name to them like that. Whatever the later ones were called, we simply don't know what the early, correct ones were called. Nor do the people throwing out old sinks with such treasures on them. ;)

Hello again,

Just received my second Exactra 20 with all round bubbles!!!

This is actually the third that I've found on ebay. However
since the second wasn't sold outside the USA I asked our
very own and dear Philip (Rebelscum) to keep an eye out for
it and he nailed it. So perhaps in the near future he could be
persuaded to do a run of them for those who would also like
to have all round replica bubbles in their graflex clamps.

-Chaim

PS Serafino I edited post #30 like you suggested. Also scored
a real Booster in the mean time.

Heej Chaim,

Do you think you can help me getting some accurate grips and a calculator bubble strip from anh? I would really like to finish my luke anh graflex.

-Sjors

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back