Another Max & Carol - Where the wild things are...

RAD

Here is my son and I' in our version of Max and Carol - Where the wild things are...for Halloween 09. First attempt at working with foam and fur! Have to say THANK YOU to RPF members for foam projects I got ideas for assembly from - DUCK thank you!

Started with Head of Carol in foam, used pink insulation foam from lowes and also a large bow and arrow foam target from walmart, glued together and sculpted, then added duct tape, fur and plastic eggs for eyes, painted gesso on foam in exposed areas and adde final paint (Dry brushing), added fur (Hot glue), wife sewed up suits for max and carol adding a cut up hoola hoop for carol, made carol feet out of old shoes and soft foam, used a viking helmet w/ horns as carols horns, tea dyed the stark white fur used on the face and upper body (Never tea dyed before and it's not suppose to really work on acrylic fur but it did enough for our weathered look of Carol, made tail out of fur and wire and rigged up wire system to let it bounce around, made gloves and then max accessories (Crown and septar). The crown is made up of garage sale signs cut and riveted together than painted and the septar is a wooden dowel drilled through a rubber ball and accessories added and painted.

We won our local contest on Halloween and yesterday was invited to do READINGS of book in cotume at elementary school for 4 kindergarten class and one 4th grade class...Had a blast and the kids loved us! Halloween we couldn't get 5 feet without 20 photos going off at a time! Turned out better than we hoped - THANKS TO MY WIFE for doing all the sewing w/o patterns to go by.

Still want to change some things like fabric on the lowere half (Going to use the same as face - just painted and tea dyed like chest)!
100_0082.jpg

100_0081.jpg

100_0088.jpg

Teaser01.jpg

WTWTA_Photos01.jpg

1031nehalloween_w299.jpg

100_0106.jpg

100_0103.jpg

Have to love the little monster in front - laughed when I uploaded photo and didn't realize this kid had done this LOL GOING TO DO SOME MORE READINGS for county libraries, preschools and possible even ymca programs... Best $300 spent on costumes yet...

Last edited:
Oh my god - that is the cutest pic at the end! Look how happy those kids are. you rule for giving them such a grand memory.

no kidding
that is great!!!
this is a book that is magical to me.
it instilled a sense of what books could do when i was little
later to be cemented by the lion the witch and the wardrobe
and i gotta tell you that if any of those characters had shown up in school it would have been something else
my hat is off to you:thumbsup

Thank you all - yes the best part was the reactions by the public and then the classes at the school where we did the book reading/acting out...

Spec-freakin-tacular work on these, the "Carol" head especially. This was one of my most favorite books growing up and I bet it will be for more than a few of these kids now too.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back