Public Enemies dual holsters

Ghostsoldier

Sr Member
I decided to go with a 30's gangster look this year for Halloween, ala Public Enemies, and I figured I whip out a set of dual shoulder holsters for my prop blank-firing 1911's, based on the ones used by Johnny 'Depp' Dillinger.

I used sintra as the main material (Tandy Leather being too damn far away on last-minute notice), and some brown upholstery vinyl for the leather straps. They didn't turn out too bad, and I made them in about 2 hours total. I'll be replicating them again in 9 oz. leather (I also do 1930's reenacting), so I created a pattern in AutoCad that can be used again.

S6304871.jpg

S6304873.jpg

S6304872.jpg

S6304884.jpg

S6304882.jpg

S6304881.jpg

Finished product...
S6304885.jpg

In use....
S6304892.jpg

They worked fine, except next time I'll add a little more curvature to the shoulder strap patterns, as these tended to slip off like a woman's bra strap, and I had to keep adjusting them...:rolleyes

I also made a couple sets of custom spats from grey canvas duck, while I was at it (for that snazzy gangster look, you know...)...pics of those to follow later...
Rob

Frak me running, I missed this Rob! :eek

I've been thinkin' about dual holsters myself, and they're likewise for 1911's. I want these now! :love

Do you still have the templates? And what 1911's did you use?

No problem, guys...mi templates, su templates! :thumbsup I'm glad to share whatever I make and have! I'll upload them to my MediaFire site and you guys can download them to your hearts content; I'll put them up as a Autocad dwg file, and as a pdf format, and post the link here ASAP!

Jodo...no frets, by good friend...this site is huge, and I don't always catch the threads that come along! :cool As far as the prop 1911's go, I've got 4 of them...2 are Bruni 9mm blank pistols (the one's in the holster tutorial photos above--they weigh a ton!), 1 Marushin gas blowback I bought 20+ years ago made of zinc and ABS plastic, and a cheapo plastic airsoft springer I bought from Kapowwe for 20 bucks. The last 2 are the ones I ended up carrying in the photo, as the Bruni's are heavy, and although the sintra holsters held them fine, I had to be walking around for several hours in 86-degree weather, so I chose to pack light! :cool You should have seen the faces of the people in the local BBQ restaurant after the Halloween festivities; I made a couple of trips to the john (in the rear of the restaurant), and without my coat on...folks thought I was some kind of hit man! It was priceless! :lol

Oh, yeah...here's the canvas spats I made...almost forgot to post 'em...
S6304954.jpg

No wonder I can't get my Joker, Snape or Pennywise done....I keep getting sidetracked! :lol
Rob

That's awsome, I'll have to download 'em ASAP! :D Thanks a ton man!

:lol Halloween time is always fun. :lol I still get "Oh man, there he is...The Joker!" when I see people I went to school with. (Or people I messed with during Halloween events, LOL.) It's pretty much my standard greeting now, I say "Hey" and then someone refrences the Joker. :lol

And to keep your thread off topic, :)lol) I love havin' projects goin'! I've got my Joker 2.0 suit (Interogation look my Free Comic Book Day!), the Mad Hatter for this next Halloween, and then I'd realy realy realy like to have "deserted island" Jack Sparrow for the next Halloween after that for POTC 4. But with all the dress clothing and big coats at the Goodwill this year, I can't pass on doing a Dillinger-esq. bank robber. :lol

EDIT - Well honestly, I bet a John Dillinger costume would cost $20 at most for just the clothing at Goodwill. Now the Thompson....The Thompson is something else. :wacko :confused

Last edited:
Hey, that's the one I want too, but evrywhere is sold out of 'em!

(I'd actualy prefer that real one though! :lol My dad used to own one way back when actualy, not anymore though. :( ) Nice costumes by the way!

Ghost, you ever consider whipping up a pair of those shoulder holsters for the Thompsons that he had? If I recall correctly, they were similar to those, but somehow attached to the gun itself from where the stock had been cut off. That would be a mighty fine addition there.

And I am in complete and utter awe at your M1928A1 Thompson. So envious. That is my dream gun. Now, is that the modern replica being made by Kahr Arms, or is it a legitimate Auto-Ordnance version? If so, where did you find it?

It was realy a lanyard type deal on the movie Thompsons. If/When I get mine I'd love to be able to have the option of removing the stock to attach something like that. :D

Yeah, that's a custom swivel/lanyard deal he's got on those '28's (made to look like '21's). I'd like to get some close-up shots of how they are built; it looks like they are attached to the buttstock slides in some manner....you can see them a bit better in the scene where Red is wielding both....I have never seen them as an accessory (not currently, that is--maybe in 1934 they were available).

Peanuts....my M1A1 is a new-built Kahr model (c. 2001) semi-auto, that I modded to look G.I., circa WW2. I bought it online from Sarco, Inc for about 700 clams--plus the 200 clams for the ATF SBR stamp)....the '28 is an airsoft springer....:cool
Rob

Though a full-auto, genuine Auto-Ordnance would have been astounding, the Kahr relaunch is still very impressive. i commend you on your mods. I would never have guessed it was the modern version. I ask because the Thompson is, as I mentioned earlier, my dream gun. I've taught myself the working of it, and relish the opportunity to handle one.

As for the swivel, I managed to find at least one good picture of the apparatus used. Sadly, it isn't that high-quality, seeing as I pulled it from IMFDB. Hope it helps anyways. http://www.imfdb.org/images/8/8c/PE28.jpg

Hope that helps a bit. I'll post more pictures if I find them.

Thanks for the pics, pf...after some research in my archives, it looks to be a separate piece that slips on and locks to the buttstock slide...you can see it pretty good in a couple of these picks; it might be a fairly easy mod to construct....

dillinger1047.jpg

addd.jpg

54c78379b952-1.jpg

029ef6d0c03a.jpg

enemies1-1.jpg

candyjohnny-1.jpg

Rob

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back