Finally - Almost done with my CC Klingon D-7

sapper36

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thought I'd share some pics. I haven't done the silver tape in the grills & on the neck yet - but she's almost there. Any feedback appreciated.

d76.jpg

d75.jpg

d74.jpg

d711.jpg

d710.jpg

d79.jpg

d77.jpg

d78.jpg

d71.jpg

d715.jpg

d716.jpg

d714.jpg

d712.jpg

d713.jpg

d73.jpg

d72.jpg

BTW - Hope you like my table & chairs - Do I have the bestest wifey or what?

That looks fantastic! (I can't wait to start on mine--there's been a lot of D-7 goodness around here lately :) )

Dave

OK - Pimped my D7 - What do you think?

OK - Worked up the guts to apply the chrome tape. Most of my pics came out like crap - but what do you think?

Thanks for all the positive comments guys!

d721.jpg

d717.jpg

d718.jpg

d719.jpg

d720.jpg

Re: OK - Pimped my D7 - What do you think?

Nice!

I like the addition of the recon sensor and the chrome tape.

I am curious what other changes were made. Looks like you moved the bridge back and reposition the running lights(?) under the nacelles.

Today is a good day to apply chrome tape. :sleep

Actually it's hard to tell from photos how it looks. If you think it doesn't look good in person I'd go by that.

But the chrome tape is screen-accurate, right?

Ka-Plaggh!

I'm not sure if I like it - The tape on the boom kicks off some wacky reflections on the forward bulkhead. It's supposed to be screen accurate according to several sources. I think the tape on the boom looks right when I compare it to the starboard side screengrab in the other D7 thread.

Maybe if I hit it with a light dusting of dullcote. I can always retape it if I want it extra shiny.

I'll try & get a few better shots.

Today is a good day to apply chrome tape. :sleep

Actually it's hard to tell from photos how it looks. If you think it doesn't look good in person I'd go by that.

But the chrome tape is screen-accurate, right?

That's a good question Phase--I'm still confused frankly as to which is the "screen accurate" paint scheme. Is it the two tone grey/green or the three tone?

I was under the impression that the filming model, which I understand is the one at the Smithsonian, arrived with the three tone paint scheme but was repainted two-tone (or did it arrive two-tone and end up being repainted three-tone?). The model at the Sci-Fi museum was the one AMT used to create the model kit was always two tone?

I've heard "definitive" opinions from different sources that are contradictory.

In either case I kind of like the three tone scheme myself and was planning to paint mine that way (whenever the time comes).

Dave

Last edited:
Yup - this one's a tough nut to crack. Not much decent refernce - Repaints at various times in its existence. I just repainted the panel on the engine pylon just above the engine cause of erroneous reference. Again I looked at that nice side view screen cap & it was green, not grey! At some point I'll call it done!

I was under the impression that the filming model, which I understand is the one at the Smithsonian, arrived with the three tone paint scheme but was repainted two-tone (or did it arrive two-tone and end up being repainted three-tone?).

According to Scott "Captain Cardboard" Alexandar, when AMT delivered the original miniature(s) to Paramount they were painted a single shade of medium grey. Matt Jefferies added the green prior to filming. The confirmation that the two-tone paint scheme actually went before the cameras came from the late Robert Justman.

1968: Because it was anticipated that both AMT miniatures would eventually go before the camera they were each given identical paint schemes. Alas, only one D-7 was ever shot, and that model was given to Jefferies after the show wrapped. The other identically painted model went to Roddenberry. To this day there is debate over whether there were actually two shades of green used on the model (as opposed to a single shade).

1974 (approx): Matt Jefferies donates his D-7 to NASM.

1976 (approx): Paramount "borrows" the Jefferies D-7 from NASM for use on Phase 2. While at Paramount the model is completely re-painted and disassembled. At some point the determination is made that a larger Klingon miniature is needed, after which time the model winds up with Ed Miarecki for restoration. Unfortunately, Ed didn't have proper reference data of the model's original appearance, hence the inaccurate paint scheme in evidence upon its return to the Smithsonian.

This is by no means the last word on the subject... simply a well-informed account from someone I know pretty well and have found to be consistently reliable.

In addition, here's what Jim Key's Custom Replicas D-7 instruction guide has to say about the D-7 paint scheme…

paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

paint3.jpg

As you can see, there’s a lot of latitude here for individual interpretation.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back