Fibreglass Han Solo in Carbonite

Re: WIP: Han Solo in Carbonite

It's an antique furniture polish that is great for sealing MDF ready for paint...much better than sanding sealer/shellac IMO.

Holy Carbonite!

Neil, that is just beautiful!

I wish mine was at that stage right now. I seem to be stuck in the gate to even get started.

Thanks for posting the pics!

It's an antique furniture polish that is great for sealing MDF ready for paint...much better than sanding sealer/shellac IMO.

never heard of that stuff or indeed using a polish before paint.

will the primer adhere ok to that stuff ?

no chance of it lifting or inhibiting the cure of the paint?

thanks for the tip

-z

The polish soaks into the MDF and creates a hard, sandable surface. It prevents the primer soaking into the MDF. It's a standard practice for sealing MDF ready for paint - just like using a standard shellac/polish . As long as it is allowed to dry and you key it up slightly the primer will bond normally. It is far superior to plain old painter/decorator MDF primer.

never heard of that stuff or indeed using a polish before paint.

will the primer adhere ok to that stuff ?

no chance of it lifting or inhibiting the cure of the paint?

thanks for the tip

-z

Last edited:

Vos
this is very cool mate, I so want to get a bigger house so that I can start making all of these and having a place to display them too

I've decided to go fibreglass with this, so started to mould my Han Carb....

....75kg of clay, 7kg of gelcoat, 20kg of resin, 14m of 450g fibereglass matt, 3 cans of vinyl spray, 1/2kg of chopped strand, 50 latex gloves, 10 mono-cups and 3 days later.....I have a mould jacket that I need to fill with 55-60kg of silicone (once I've cut a pour hole).

But first I need to drill holes for 96 bolts and clean all of the clay from the mould.

Neil

Last edited:

This build is looking awesome!
Just curious what adhesive you used for the front panel.
When I originally did this run of the front panels, I didn't know what folks would use to adhere this to the box.
I still have one of the first casts I saved for myself, but I have yet to build a full one for my prop room.

This build is looking awesome!
Just curious what adhesive you used for the front panel.
When I originally did this run of the front panels, I didn't know what folks would use to adhere this to the box.
I still have one of the first casts I saved for myself, but I have yet to build a full one for my prop room.

Vash,

So your just like the rest of us...too little time and too many props?...:lol

I'm wondering this as well, how best to adhere Vash's Han to the wood.

thanks

brad

I had to screw the panels to the box through the thicker parts of the resin and hide them. The foam backing kept pulling away from the resin. I filled any gaps with resin...this helped to bond it to the board in the thinner, warped areas.

Little update:
I have had a bunch of accurate hero panel grills made. This was the last piece I needed to make to complete my hero panel ( although I still have a hole to fill and a decal to apply )

They have been photo-etched in .3mm stainless steel.

DSC06013.jpg

DSC06019.jpg

DSC06022.jpg

I have 10 left for sale at cost, if anyone is interested. I'll put them in the Junkyard this week. You can PM me before that if you want one though.

They are £6 shipped within the UK, £7.50 worldwide.

What a fantastic job, Neil... your attention to detail is awe-inspiring. I've always wanted a HIC but just been too damn lazy :rolleyes Maybe if I wait long enuff EFX will release one that will only cost £3500 to ship from the States :unsure

....75kg of clay, 7kg of gelcoat, 20kg of resin, 14m of 450g fibereglass matt, 3 cans of vinyl spray, 1/2kg of chopped strand, 50 latex gloves, 10 mono-cups

Hot-damn... that's a LOT of supplies you have there mate.... tho' you forgot to list the button polish! :lol

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
John

I've always wanted one of these without having to do loads of work building the box.

Great work!

Keith.

Looking great! Just starting on mine - thanks for some fantastic inspiration :)

Thanks guys.

I cleaned the mould jacket out today.

Silicone goes in next Sunday. I need to drill air release holes and a nice big pour hole first though.

DSC06023A.jpg

DSC06024A.jpg

Exciting times ahead. Good show!

Thanks guys.

I cleaned the mould jacket out today.

Silicone goes in next Sunday. I need to drill air release holes and a nice big pour hole first though.

Boring update, but I've almost got the rubber into the mould. I ran out at 66kgs I've got more coming on Tuesday. I think I need about another 5-6kg, but I ordered more just to be safe. What a ball-ache.

DSC06028.jpg

Hopefully I can start to use the mould on Thursday.

Must have been very frustrating running out of silicone.

Can't wait to see a casting!

Keith.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back