Andrew Probert interview and D-7 stuff

Probert is the man! :thumbsup

Incidentally the other ship discussed (in addition to the TMP Refit Enterprise, which Probert helped design) is the Vulcan Shuttle Surak from TMP

imageuploadimagef.jpg

...the AMT kit of which, Round 2 is re-popping this winter.

The D-7 would be the TOS Klingon Battlecruiser (which is not discussed in the Probert interview)

eotklingond7side.jpg

k

Last edited:
Probert is dead right here where he talks about the Abrams-Enterprise... designed by committee, not "integrated" into a coherent whole... you go, Andy.

(probert comments in bold)

The design of the new movie Enterprise has stirred quite a debate among Star Trek fans. Do you recall a similar reaction to the appearance of the Refit in TMP?

No, because the TMP Enterprise made more sense visually I think... it was designed as a whole with each area relating to the next in a logical manner.

That's a great point. I'm not one who hates the new ship's design but there are a few quirky things about it here and there. This might be a hairy question but what are your feelings about the design of the Enterprise from the new film?

Even though the "new"-alternate Enterprise was designed by committee, it did manage to attain a level of visual continuity up until they got to the saucer which is way too close to the TMP saucer, presumably just stuck on to appease the Trek aficionados. I would have been much happier (since they simply HAD to change it anyway), if they would have extended the same pimping all the way into the saucer, providing a unified look to the whole ship.

I agree that the saucer was the part that was most reminiscent of an earlier version but I thought it took more cues from the Refit. I'm looking at the upper and lower domes and the surface detail and markings. I think if they had stuck to Ryan Church's surface quality and color, the ship may have been received a bit more openly having a skin more like the TOS version.

The exterior? JJ Abrams specifically did not want anyone on the production that was a Star Trek fan. Having said that, I would have been quite happy redesigning his alternate time-line Enterprise but instead it looks like they attempted to appease die-hard Trekkers by plopping a TMP saucer on a VERY different engineering section producing a visually awkward hybrid which just doesn't work.... for me.

In the interview Probert talks about "red stripes" all over the Enterprise, which would have been inspired by stripes which the TOS Enterprise had at the rear of the Saucer Section. This painting by Mike Minor shows an intermediate design of the ship (after the Phase II development but before the TMP design was finalized):

mikeminorstarlog25.jpg

This is an earlier (pre-Probert) Phase II design painted by John Berkey, which I include just because I like it. :lol

berkeytmpteaser.jpg

This image appeared widely in "teaser" advertisements and posters for TMP, notably on the backs of comic books.

k

This is an earlier (pre-Probert) Phase II design painted by John Berkey, which I include just because I like it. :lol

berkeytmpteaser.jpg

This image appeared widely in "teaser" advertisements and posters for TMP, notably on the backs of comic books.

k
I always loved this painting. The Enterprise is very dynamic with a fantastic sense of scale.

Rich

Love those windows. Especially the ones in the undercut around the bottom of the primary hull. I wanna just get one of those rooms and enjoy the view. :lol

Also some great details such as the silvery teardrop shapes on the underside primary hull, at about the locations of the three "dimples" in the old AMT model kit. Who knows what they are, observation blisters, telescope mounts, phaser banks, they just look cool. :D

The lower sensor dome looks like glass too... as do some of the other blisters on the ship. Really nice detail work.

And this is a BIG ship too, if rows of windows indicate deck heights. This beast is probably as big as the Abrams Enterprise. :lol

It's funky and the perspective lines don't line up and it's the old Phase II design with the wonky slablike warp engine pods... but hell I love the girl. :)

Last edited:
Andy rocks! If I can ever get my '90 Pontiac Trans Sport roadworthy again, he said he'd run me up a custom Starfleet decal scheme for it! :)

-Sarge

Good article. It's funny. I've never much liked the lack of detail of the TOS D7, while I LOVE the TMP model. But seeing it in that original purple/green colour scheme REALLY works for me, somehow. It's gone from about a zero on my scale of interest to something I'd actually want to build, albeit with decals and weathering a must. Huh.

k

Man, I haven't seen that advertising painting since way back in the day! I always loved Berkey's style and this vision of the Enterprise looks better than what eventually ended up on the screen :)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back