Dexter costume

ThinkGeek.com is now selling a "Dexter's Kill Shirt", which I am guessing is just the American Apparel shirt.

d5a9_dexters_kill_shirt.jpg

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/generic/d5a9/

I know this shirt is available on amazon, but thinkgeek almost always has some awesome coupon codes that might make it worth picking up through them:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/thinkgeek.com

At a glance it looks like the American Apparel shirt, but the close-up photo of the weave is slightly different from the one on American Apparel's website. If they are different, I don't think anyone but "stitch Nazis" would notice the difference...or 99% of the rest of the population, for that matter. :p

I just dragged my lazy carcass off the couch and looked at my American Apparel shirt and, once again, Risu's right, it's the same weave. Interesting that ThinkGeek would display a more accurate depiction of the weave on their website than the manufacturer. :unsure

Well, Thinkgeek is selling it for a specific purpose, AA is just selling it as a long sleeved green shirt.

At a glance it looks like the American Apparel shirt, but the close-up photo of the weave is slightly different from the one on American Apparel's website. If they are different, I don't think anyone but "stitch Nazis" would notice the difference...or 99% of the rest of the population, for that matter. :p

I visited AA on Oxford St. last Saturday. There are about 3 versions of the shirt in stock. One has a more visible seam due to the stitching being a different (darker) colour. The other two are different in the weave, one seems coarser. It looked as if it depended on the size.
Been wearing these since I knew they were 'the one', but for some reason only bought one in olive. As for the trousers, if 'close enough' is close enough, try these: http://www.ebrookes.co.uk/p/CMJ209/Craghoppers-Kiwi-Stretch-Trousers.html
They're good quality and a decent price, I've got their Bear Grylls version, love 'em.

Last edited:
Those Doc Martens posted above look pretty good for a close-enough. Has it been determined that the actual boots ARE indeed Docs?

Those Doc Martens posted above look pretty good for a close-enough. Has it been determined that the actual boots ARE indeed Docs?
Risu's right again, the actual boots are not Docs. The actual boots have black lug soles which none of Dr. Martens boots have in that style. I like them as a "close enough" as well, but I haven't seen them in person and my concern would be that they're too red; the actual boots are a medium to darker brown.

In the last few weeks I've looked at hundreds of boots online, and at this point I'd be willing to bet the actual boots are an older style that have been discontinued by the manufacturer. There are plenty of brown work-style boots out there that would also work as "close enough", but the few (and I do mean few) that have that "cap" toe all have a very different sole.

I found the boots!!! At least, I think I have. Brown, cap toe, rivet next to the first eyelet, lug soles (sort of)...I'm almost positive these are the correct boots:

Diesel_Cassidy_boots_mocha_bisque.jpg

Diesel "Cassidy" in "mocha bisque". The down side is, they're $285 U.S. and difficult to find a supplier that a) carries them in brown (mocha bisque), and b) carries more than one or two sizes. Why oh why do these wardrobe departments always seem to select hard-to-find items for the cast???

http://store.diesel.com/item/tskay/3FD17CD7/cod10/44202458CW/rr/1

Last edited:
OK, first I've got to say: Holy crap those ARE the boots! (or at least the same design, it says they're from this season, meaning not the boots in previous seasons of Dexter, but they could be identical to a previous Diesel boot.)

And second: AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! That's got to be the worst boot to dollar ratio I've ever seen!

OK, first I've got to say: Holy crap those ARE the boots! (or at least the same design, it says they're from this season, meaning not the boots in previous seasons of Dexter, but they could be identical to a previous Diesel boot.)
If you think they're the same boots as well, that's good enough for me! All I have to do now is sell a kidney to get a pair...

And second: AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! That's got to be the worst boot to dollar ratio I've ever seen!
Obviously, you've never shopped for Alden 405s; I know they're orthopedic shoes, but sheesh! :confused

I own a pair of Aldens, and they're full of orthopedic awesomeness, these are just expensive because they've got DIESEL stamped on them somewhere. I'm probably lucky they don't have them in an 11.5. But still, it's a real shame. Can we start trying to find out if he wore different boots in the fist season? That would be lovely.

EDIT: Also, based on the price of these boots and just looking at his pants, I'd be willing to bet a necessary part of my body that they'll run over $100 a pair and also be incredibly hard to find.

I suppose it's possible he wore different boots in the earlier seasons, but I've watched seasons 1-3 for the specific purpose of looking at the pants, the boots, the watch, etc., and IMO they're the same boots throughout; these may be a carry-over from a previous Diesel boot.

The pants...yeah, I think that's going to be another tough one. I've looked at hundreds of pants online, and I haven't found any that have the pocket on only one thigh. But you know these designers--they'll do a run or two of any given product, then either discontinue it or change the design completely.

Speaking of which...does it make sense that a serial killer with in-depth knowlege of police procedures would not only use such obscure items but use them repeatedly? I mean, Dexter would know that shoes have a very distinct wear pattern that are unique to the wearer, and that if he were to accidentally leave a footprint in a location the police were investigating it could lead them right to him if he were under suspicion. And the clothes...I know he takes precautions--wears the apron, the cover sleeves, rubber gloves, etc.--but the slightest random drop of blood or tissue could wind up on any exposed part of his "kill clothes" (or in the recesses of the expandable watch band on his wristwatch, for that matter) and, again, link him directly to one of his victims. In a real-world sense, it makes more sense for him to wear readily-available clothing that could not be traced back to any particular distributor, and to destroy the clothing after the "job" is done, including the boots. Which means he'd need a new (and affordable) set of clothing for each kill; I don't think he'd choose such expensive and difficult-to-locate items. I know wardrobe designers are going for a particular look when they compile wardrobe for a particular character/actor, but sheesh!!! Sorry, rant over.

I think the exact same thing, which is why the AA shirt is perfect. It's really cheap for a shirt of that type and usually readily available. That one made perfect sense. These boots and those pants go completely against that way of thinking. I think the season 1 pants were probably less designer and much more common, so I was hoping the show started with that in mind (which would include easier/cheaper boots) and then changed to designer stuff for some (probably financial/sponsorship) reason. Needless to say, with prices and availability like that I don't think I'll ever get closer than close-enough on a Dexter costume.

I agree. American Apparel shirt--reasonably priced and relatively easy to obtain. Pants and boots...not so much. We'll probably never know why those particular items were chosen. I do know those boots are definitely out of my price range as well.

Diesel also makes (or made; they're not listed on their website) a pair of boots called Wormate II that, IMO, would work as a close enough and can be found in the $120 range if you look hard enough and they just happen to carry your size:

Diesel_Wormate_2_deep_mahogany.jpg

I know these are not very SA, but I just went for a pair because they gave me that Dexter vibe while still being a very cool boot on it's own and should turn out pretty nice after I adjust some colors a bit.

_5962656.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back