Pink insulation foam experts, I need your help

darthgordon

Sr Member
So, I'm making a pair of platform boots for my friend using pink insulation foam... as I've seen people do a lot with that on here.

From what I've seen I want to go over the foam first with gesso before painting it. My question is... I was thinking of going over it afterward with Plastidip. Does anyone know if that will work? I just want to be sure that the Plastidip wont eat away the gesso.

Or... I have some Krylon H2O primer... would that work on the foam or does it contain solvents that will eat the foam?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Or... I have some Krylon H2O primer... would that work on the foam or does it contain solvents that will eat the foam?

To the best of my knowledge, it's not the paint that melts the foam, it's the propellant in aerosols that does it. I've had good luck with gesso (or really any brush-on paint with a good, solid application) sealing the foam prior to spraying.

As to the plasti-dip, I have no clue. But I'm definitely interested in hearing the results if you try it!

i usually use latex caulking as the sealer over the foam. once it's on and cured, anything goes.

the plasti-dip idea sounds cool... that should make it a lot tougher.

KILZ 2. 3 coats. Sandable primer.
The caulk may work for him, but way too expensive and there's no way to get it smooth. I have tried every adhesive, glue and putty on the stuff. There are glues made for the foam, Construction Adhesive, though works the best, for light duty. Past that there has to be some structure built into it.

You can use BondoGlass, Bondo and Glazing Compound for a Mirror Finish, or Foam Coat for a Rock Hard coating.

Then you can do whatever you want. It is the thinners in the paint that eat the foam. Lacquer thinner in a spray bottle on the stuff makes unbelievable rock.

PM me for specific questions and I'll see if i can answer them.

Laffo.

Last edited:
KILZ 2. 3 coats. Sandable primer.
The caulk may work for him, but way too expensive and there's no way to get it smooth.

I don't know... I've gotten pretty smooth by applying it then brushing it with wet paint brush a few times over. Not mirror finish, but no visible strokes.

I actually use caulking because it's cheap. :)

Kilz is great too... it soaks in nicely and makes it strong. The heads on the battle droids I built for Halloween are coated in it. You'd never know they were foam!

The head is foam with some sintra plates. The shoulders are just straight foam with no plastic coating... just a bunch of primer.

I guess in the end, pretty much anything that's not heavily solvent based should act as a good sealer.

Yep. I've used "oops" Latex from the Paint Counter at Home Depot to seal it.

I'm going to build an entire Santa's Village outta this stuff over the next couple of years.

Laffo.

Last edited:
this is great advice!! i coated some pink foam with plasti dip and when it dried it was like shrink wrap !!! i'll try some coats of kiltz.

What is the best knife to cut the pink foam? any serrated knife? is a hot knife necessary and if so, does anyone have a good source for an affordable one?

thanks
Den

I haven't tried it yet but Harbor Freight sells a hot knife for $15.00. When I did my Wookiee stilts, I used a Drywall Saw based on a recomendation from Duck. The wide spacing of the teeth came in handy.

For cutting pink foam I use a hot wire foam cutter and a drywall saw. I round it out with a rasp and file, then smooth it down with sandpaper before collecting any powder with duct tape and a vacuum cleaner.

I'm looking to seal my stuff soon so this thread is great advice. Can't wait to see pics of your plasti-dip results.

I don't know... I've gotten pretty smooth by applying it then brushing it with wet paint brush a few times over. Not mirror finish, but no visible strokes.

I actually use caulking because it's cheap. :)

Kilz is great too... it soaks in nicely and makes it strong. The heads on the battle droids I built for Halloween are coated in it. You'd never know they were foam!

The head is foam with some sintra plates. The shoulders are just straight foam with no plastic coating... just a bunch of primer.

I guess in the end, pretty much anything that's not heavily solvent based should act as a good sealer.

I like that , I'm looking to do the same thing for my son who loves the battle droids too. Looks like a great project.

OK so I have a question along these lines, what kind of effect do these sealers have on the weight of the foam? Does the amount of paint you have to coat the foam in end up being most of the weight of the piece itself?

Since this thread started I actually made the battle droids a pink-foam-friend:

Pink foam, caulking, PVC and some scrap fabric from other projects!

I use all sorts of things for cutting... drywall saw, sawzall, bandsaw... you name it! Just be careful, the fine pink dust is REALLY bad for you! Wear a good filter!

I don't find the weight of the paint all that significant. It does add a bit of weight, but nothing crazy.

Thanks!

I dug up a shot of him that's not in such dim light...

normal_IMG_6036.JPG

It could have been better, but I had about 8 days to build him, start to finish... Cut corners, we sometimes must!

The only part I didn't build is the saber... that's an MR FX Yoda with a green blade.

I've got progress galleries for both the droids and Yoda:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tk7602/sets/72157621110519838/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tk7602/sets/72157622489729849/

But, I think both of them show that pink foam is an awesome, cheap way to build stuff.

Heck, we even built a landspeeder out of it!
normal_IMG_2565.JPG

I blame Duck for this by the way... I had never used the stuff for anything but insulating til I met him!!

Wear a mask, DO NOT CUT IT WITH A HOT WIRE without a resprirator, and don't use spray adhesive or solvents on it. The paint you use as sealer adds little weight. Other than that, it's fool proof.
Laffo.

Regular latex house paint works great as a sealer, as well. Any acrylic artist paint will work, too, but hardware store paint is the cheapest solution. I use it to prevent spraypaint from melting styrene foam.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back