Attaching Latex to Latex, what glue?

Vandark

Sr Member
Hey there,

I'm struggling with a Halloween project and I was wondering if anybody knows the best method for attaching Latex to Latex?

I tried tacky glue, but it just pulls away with little force.

I've heard about contact adhesive, but it's dangerous and not available in the UK.

Can anybody help???

thanks

Richard

You can glue latex with liquid latex (if you're parts are true latex and are not painted), maybe you can also use neoprene ?

Depends on what you are doing, but you may be able to get away with a regular old bicycle tire patch kit, the glue that comes in them is made for bonding rubber. They are usually about two bucks. Rubber cement, like you can buy in the stationary store ca also be used to glue latex, it contains the solvent that breaks down latex rubber and will bond it, together but takes a little practice.

~Edit~ that being said, the adhesives do disolve rubber to bond it so you have to use just enough, not slather it on heavy. Again, this depends on what you are gluing. Sheet latex and home mixed mask making rubber can be fairly different animals.

Last edited:
For large areas I've had good results with spray carpet tile adhesive. For small areas, rubber cement from a bike shop works fine.

Someone else said it, but you can attach latex to latex with more latex.

Otherwise, I'll also suggest the rubber cement method which primarily is based on Bestene (nasty stuff, hard to find, probably expensive). Nice thing about the rubber cement is that its a viscous enough material that you will have good control over it.

Clean off any paint first.

Thanks for everybodys advice.

I've just tried the Latex method. I sanded off some of the paint and scored the latex with a scalpel.

We shall see if it's worked tomorrow!

If not, back to the drawing board!

thanks again

Vandark

Someone else said it, but you can attach latex to latex with more latex.

Otherwise, I'll also suggest the rubber cement method which primarily is based on Bestene (nasty stuff, hard to find, probably expensive). Nice thing about the rubber cement is that its a viscous enough material that you will have good control over it.

Clean off any paint first.

Copydex is a latex based adhesive that dries quicker than latex itself, I used it to attach various parts of a Bib Fortuna mask and it workd great.

Got it in B&Q!

I second the Ca.

That's how I attached all the parts on an Alien costume.
painted latex on the body suit than glued the detail pieces on.

SDCC2.jpg

D6

If anybody is interested, the liquid latex as glue attempt didn't work very well. This morning, I gave the appliance a bit of a tug and it came away from the mask.

I went to Homebase during my dinner break and got a tube of Contact Adeisive and so far, so good....it's applied like a dream.......awesome stuff.

Just need to see how tough the join is tomorrow!

Might back up the join with some latex for extra support.

Ill let everybody know tomorrow!

Thanks again for all your help!:thumbsup

As far as I know, it was just standard latex I used.

BTW: The Contact glue works almost perfectly, even on painted areas, great stuff! I guess the glued parts could still be pulled away, but it would take a bit of force, but at least they aren't just going to fall off. Might back the joins up with some latex for extra strength!

thanks!

Richard

Thats weird, is that true latex or some kind of rubber ?

That's cool for the contact adhesive !

I realize this is necro-posting, but after researching this, I found the following information for other folks with the same question. I found this at Monster Makers

"Here is a great tip I just learned from mask maker, Jordu Schell. When seaming a mask, if you clean the seam or any defect area with a solution of citric acid, any wet latex you add to the area will stick like glue when dry. Normally, wet latex added to dry latex will have a tendency to delaminate. By cleaning the area with citric acid you open the latex pours and dramatically lower the pH which creates the gluing effect."

Hey that's awesome nemesis! Here it is the night before halloween and I need to make adjustments. I read through this forum to eventually ask myself the same exact question you just asked...then I spent 10 minutes registering just to tell you "holy crap".

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back