Jawa bandolier help

Hi guys, I posed the question over at the Costume and Prop boards on tfn, but haven't got any response.

The question is this: are there any sources for synthetic leather belts out there? The reason is that I am working on some Jawa bandoliers for a lady and her son. They are very adamant about not using animal products, and wanting to respect that, I could use a point in the right direction.

Thanks, guys!

- Bill

I've never seen anything other than one-off sales of vinyl bandoliers, and those have been only so-so appearance wise. To my knowledge there isn't a supplier of faux-leather bandoliers, probably due to the relative ease in procuring a real, vintage bandolier.

Scott

Thanks Skaught!

I found some pouches that would work, since the regs say that pouches need to be of WWII style or vintage, Russian vinyl Mosen-Nagant pouches should do the trick.... its the belt that the pouches go on that eludes me.

The search continues. Thanks for the help.

- Bill

Thanks Skaught!

I found some pouches that would work, since the regs say that pouches need to be of WWII style or vintage, Russian vinyl Mosen-Nagant pouches should do the trick.... its the belt that the pouches go on that eludes me.

The search continues. Thanks for the help.

- Bill

Maybe check a few army surplus stores, or you could buy a brown leather belt from Target and weather it.

Um, the point is that it can't be real leather, oblagon. :rolleyes

You may just need to get creative make your own belts, Bill. I've done it, in years before I learned to do leather work.

Get a couple yards of brown vinyl and glue the backs of 2 strips together with contact cement, make sure the strips are in a curved shape, don't let the cement cure with them flat. Then you can just take brown Sharpie and color the edges where the backing fabric shows.

You should be able to weather it with some judicious use of sand paper to scuff it up and use paints to weather it.

I'm sure you already know where to get the hardware. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbsup
Um, the point is that it can't be real leather, oblagon. :rolleyes

You may just need to get creative make your own belts, Bill. I've done it, in years before I learned to do leather work.

Get a couple yards of brown vinyl and glue the backs of 2 strips together with contact cement, make sure the strips are in a curved shape, don't let the cement cure with them flat. Then you can just take brown Sharpie and color the edges where the backing fabric shows.

You should be able to weather it with some judicious use of sand paper to scuff it up and use paints to weather it.

I'm sure you already know where to get the hardware. ;)

As always, Lori, you're a tremendous help! :thumbsup

Thanks!

- Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back