Top Gun "Goose" Costuming Guide.

Unsure about the triangle patch.....will see if I can find more images. As for the boots, they were specific lightweight leather boots, specifically for aviators....not sure if you can still get hold of them now as they use a different type

I tried finding that triangle patch too; tried Carrier Air Wing, Naval Air Stations, and USN Flight Schools, and came up with Bupkis...

It does seem apparent to be some kind of "Sombrero" image on it, with 2 eyes below the "hat brim"?

Yeh, I'm leaning towards that way as well, thinking the triangle patch is a real time patch or at least slightly adapted, in a similar vain to mav's sqn patch.

Will keep on looking for you

-Chris

I think I still have my old nomex somewhere. Forget what size it is though. Already has the velcro attachements on the shoulders and nametag area too. Don't think I'll ever fit my butt in it ever since I got out. I was AF but as far as I know the US flight suits are standard but don't count me on that.

I haven't seen the movie in ages, so I'm not sure if it's the same, but when I was in USN regs mandated "Flight deck" boots. They had to be all leather, with no nylon or gore-tex or anything of the sort. My pair (which I can't find now) had an additional piece of leather across the toe.

front.jpg

Also, I can't find my flight suit, but from the pics it looks to be pretty standard. From what I remember, though, is that over the years pockets/pouches were added or moved just slightly. The older style, if I remember correctly, had an added pouch on the thigh. From what I can tell, it looks like he has that pouch in this pic.

mav4.jpg

I know that my flight suit doesn't have it. Mine is a newer style, though. I think I got it around 2000 or so. Mine was used as flight suits were a pain to get as they were replaceable items for the flight crew. I was authorized to wear one on missions if I could source one, but because I wasn't normal flight crew it was a pain in the ass.

Good luck.

EDIT: The patch is most likely the carrier air wing patch or something similar. The patch on the left (his right) breast should be a unit patch, which leads me to believe the triangle patch is for the larger overseeing body he's a part of. Basically the breast patch would be his specific squadron or detachment while the triangle would be the air wing that oversees all the squadrons on the boat. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
I never noticed Iceman had the same triangle patch also......nice find!!!!

That 'bay' patch looks pretty good.....

The flightsuit I used is a CWU 27/P

topgunicemanpatch1.jpg

topgungoosepatch1.jpg

There were many fictitious (fake) patches created for the "Top Gun" movie.
Try this eBay seller for a replica patch...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Top-Gun-Iceman-...ctables_Badges_Patches_MJ?hash=item19b279a90d

I'm not sure his are exactly right, myself. His text seems to read "Strike Fighter Wing Atlantic" which is a real group but it has a different logo. The text in the blurry shots I've seen on Goose, Iceman and Hollywood all seem too long for that.

Also, and I could definitely be wrong, but from what I've seen, all the patches I've noticed have been real unit/squadron/wing/command/etc. patches. Which ones are made up?

EDIT: After going over the BR version, it looks like the patch says "Tactical _______ Atlantic". I'm still looking in to this and hopefully I can get something concrete.

patch1.JPG

patch2.JPG

patch3.JPG

Last edited:
Wow you guys rock! The ebay patch looks good, but doesn't look 100% accurate as Blownhemi said. Hopefully we can track down the original or something closer.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back