Han Solo boots

rickrickrick

Sr Member
Hey, costumers. Searched the archives with no real luck on this topic.

Han Solo boots - yeah, it's difficult to be SA 'cause they were probably custom equestrian boots with straight tops, or some such thing.

There are inexpensive PVC riding boots out there - anyone recommend one they really like?

For example, there's these for $36:

http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=ER00645

and these for $60:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-38174&bhcd2=1254975618

Any opinions from anyone who owns any of these? Many thanks!

Rick

Those actually look pretty decent, I'd be interested in finding out if they look more like leather or rubber in person.

I've talked to the people that made the original Solo boots, my Russian riding boots are actually going through an overhaul there right now, they were a custom deal.

You can buy a pair of leather boots and take them to a shoe repair shop and have the tops cut off straight. I think I paid $5 to have that done. The tops were cut off, a line of stitching added, and the raw edge dressed. In and out the same day.

if you can find them in your size, the Russian Parade boots are pretty much perfect. Especially if you can get them with a zipper in the back.
Otherwise, yeah you basically have to hunt for an equestrian boot that is straight across the top or get the tops cut straight.
I personally would say go with leather if you're planning on wearing the costume a lot. If it's just kind of a one shot deal or something you're just doing for fun, those boots will work great. But really, if you're going to be wearing it a lot or getting a high quality outfit together, you might as well go with leather boots, your feet will love you and it will look better too.

Thanks for the replies.

I should have been clear that I'm looking to do this on a budget, since it's a last-minute not anally SA Halloween costume (although I AM refusing to use those zip up costume boots).

I cannot find the Russian parade boots in my size (11 1/2). Neither can I afford real leather equestrian boots to have altered, since they are minimally $150-175 and I've been searching ebay for literally years trying to get a second-hand pair.

I was hoping someone here had experience with some of the NOT leather equestrian boots that they'd like to share. In the archived threads I saw numerous mentions that people used them, some even slicing the tops off themselves to make them straight. But I never saw any posts about which ones people liked or recommended.

Thanks again.

Rick

But...Han's boots didn't have a zipper in the back?

They did...well, it probably depends on the movie. The outfit that is traveling with Where Science Meets Imagination does and I've seen pics of the similar outfit, if not the same, from different exhibits that also has a zipper up the back. So...it's probably safe to say ROTJ does, as I believe that's what the outfit was for the previously mentioned exhibit.

the boots on display are from the movie and I guess I should say that in my estimation there are zippers in the back. I say this for a few reasons, you can see a fairly hefty seam up the back of the boot. I don't see any signs of stitchings on the side for pull tabs, which would make it pretty much impossible to put those tall of boots on without either a zipper or pull tabs.
Also if you look at http://s590.photobucket.com/albums/ss350/SoloYT1300/Han Boots/?action=view&current=han311.jpg you can see that the seam is uneven from boot to boot and on one of them starts to get wider at the top...almost as if the zipper wasn't up all the way.
So...no, I don't know 100% that it is a zipper, but really, until someone who worked with the screen used costume tells me there wasn't, I'm left to believe there was.
back to topic
11.5 ouch, I have 10.5 and had a heck of a search. Rubber boots are pretty much the only other alternative that I've seen work well. (granted not well enough for RL standards but that's a whole different can of worms) And they're reasonably cheap.

That's a leather spine covering the gap where they widened the calves, probably because Harrison Ford's legs got bigger with age or they might have been used by a stunt man. The boots originally had the spine, but were much smaller in the leg. The boots they're fixing for me now were too small, so they added that spine to them to give me an extra inch.

Interesting info, but got a little off topic here, so a gentle bump to the top.

Anyone with experience recommend a pair of PVC riding boots for a Han Solo costume?

Many thanks!

Rick

Sorry, not with that type of boot. I bought the German Officer boots from Sportsman's Guide a few years ago when they were on sale. Don't know if they have any left or not...

The ones I have that came with the Han Solo setup I picked up were basically the first ones you linked. They were okay but wow did I sweat a lot in them.
I would say if you're thinking of those two options, go with the 2nd one as it seems to have some kind of liner to try and help with that issue. But then again, it's twice the price, so if you don't mind the uncomfortable feeling, go with the cheapy's. I would say no matter which one you pick up though, go to Walgreen's and pick up some inserts. I say Walgreen's cause they have their brand of inserts that are typically a few dollars cheaper than Dr. Scholl's and as far as I can tell, just as good.

The PVC boots look amazing for casual costuming. If they are anything like a regular wellington, you will most likely have to deal with some excellent foot-funk, but they look veerrry enticing for the price. HEck, I like them.

I just wish they made em in a size 16w US... I just paid $700 for a pair of custom boots...

No, those were sold out years ago, unfortunately.

R

That's too bad, because they're the most comfortable leather boots I've ever had. The pairs I've used for X-Wing and TIE pilot costumes kill my feet...including, unfortunately, the screen accurate ones. But the German officer boots, which I use for my Imperial Officer, are like buttah.

Glad I found this post! Just an FYI, Devonaire will soon be getting rid of all other mens style equestrian boots. They will only offer a pair with zippers, so what ever you find in that old style, swoop up on now. They will not have the new style out for 6 months.

2nd topic, the boots on display may in fact have the back seam cut. Have you ever tried to put a tall boot on a manaquine foot!!?? They may have cut them for the display and then tacked them back togeather. So there may be a little bit of fact to all the above observations. I really don't see LFL saying, "Hey, don't cut those for our display that will make us tons of cash, we wanted to wear those again!"

Lastly, the topic at hand. Boots....the bane of any Solo costumer.... I have been looking into my Solo costume for the last few years. It's now completed, minus the ROTJ bunker blaster upgrade and better boots! Sadly I have to admit, I used the side zip costume boots from 911 costumes as a temporary boot. I just ordered the Devonaire boots and have an appointment with the shoe guy to get them straight cut and stiched (couldn't pass up a sale!). I had searched far and wide for boots, but with no luck. German Jack boots, Tall riding boots, Russian officer boots, Tall German Officer boots, tall black boots....the list goes on. I finally decided I would just drop the 350 on the CABoots, until I found this thread with the DA's on sale.

I guess the main point here is, there is no cheap good boots. You either pay for a decent boot, or wear a cheaper costume boot. Next to the holster, these are two pricey, pain in the a$$ items to get! Hopefully my DA's work out when they come in. If so then i will consider them a steal! Some people get lucky and find that deal on "the bay". In the case of boots, I am not one of them! Good luck my friend.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back