SS AT-AT armature

Does anyone know if the machining will be done conventionally or if the machinist will have CNC capabilities?It will speed time up for sure and will maintain tollerances,especially since he will be making so many parts and they all have to be the same. However,CNC typically has a higher cost and perhaps it won't help with keeping within a budget?

While i have the vast majority of donors for this, wouldnt hurt to get into some "not yet found" parts maybe?
I know Steve is god when it comes to this one, he's researched it for a long long time, maybe we can all get together, work as one, im quite keen to get hands on in this area, which is odd as ive been very "off" lately!

bests......lee

Does anyone know if the machining will be done conventionally or if the machinist will have CNC capabilities?It will speed time up for sure and will maintain tollerances,especially since he will be making so many parts and they all have to be the same. However,CNC typically has a higher cost and perhaps it won't help with keeping within a budget?

John, it will depends of the machinist we take. :)
I cant say until the plans are finished and sent to the machinists then we have to do our choice :)
We'll keep you informed though !

Guys,

I put you all on the list in the order you posted/sent me a pm, though I dont know yet how many armatures will be done for the run.
Of course if someone leaves the boat then the next guy takes the slot etc...

This is the day that I have always hoped would come true. I have been studying the leg mechanics for ages. But oh to be rich and, if it also helps, single. :cry

This is the day that I have always hoped would come true. I have been studying the leg mechanics for ages. But oh to be rich and, if it also helps, single. :cry

You have the time to save a little each week/month for this one ! Wont happen before February 2010 (maybe a bit ealier but I prefer to stay on February).

I put the list on the first post and I'll update it so you can see where you are in the list. If some of you want to remain anonymous, just let me know.

So how many legs would you get for the expected cost? 1 or 4?

I've started saving too. I've got about $20 in 5 and 10 cents pieces so I'm guessing I'll have the money by about 2047.

On second thoughts, are you sure you don't want to scale it down for the Revell AT-AT? :unsure

So how many legs would you get for the expected cost? 1 or 4?

I've started saving too. I've got about $20 in 5 and 10 cents pieces so I'm guessing I'll have the money by about 2047.

On second thoughts, are you sure you don't want to scale it down for the Revell AT-AT? :unsure

4 legs, but no, I have no plan to do it for the Revell ATAT ! I dont like small things ! :lol

Has anyone thought about seeing if we can find a cheaper machinest?

I bet we could!

Unless your heart is set one someone in particular.

Doubt I'd be ale to aford it,but seeing the At-At armmature/ studio scale At-At would be pretty awsome.Don't know if it's possible to contact John Berg or Tom St. Armond?Are they still working for/at Lucas Film/ILM?Would it be a good idea to do so even if you could?It might put the legal dogs of Lucas Film on you and it could also possibly bring them here to the RPF,which may not be a great thing for some guys who have made S.S kits.Look what they've done to SMT and a few other guys..they got *spanked* pretty hard.

Tom St. Amands used to have a company called Jointworks and he would sell you a copy of the AT-AT armature and a list of the plastic bits used to complete one. I understand that in the late 1980's and into the 1990's it would cost about $4K to complete one.

Slightly off(scale?) subject.. I thought this was cool. Profiles in History is auctioning off the original AT-AT foot that was used to make the footprints in the scene where Luke dives off the Snowspeeder to miss getting crushed...

Some high-res pics... supposedly it's 9 inches in diameter!

http://www.icollector.com/images/1202/14989/14989_0967_2_lg.jpg
http://www.icollector.com/images/1202/14989/14989_0967_1_lg.jpg

Only estimated at.. 2-3K :cry

The picture from my Cinefex mag #2 shows a roughly 2 foot diameter bottom of the foot being painted on page 14. Maybe yours isn't the stomping foot, but maybe a foot bottom used for close-ups?

I think this foot's in scale with the large pyro model that was felled. It was supposedly used as a stamper to create footprints trailing behind the filming model...

The picture from my Cinefex mag #2 shows a roughly 2 foot diameter bottom of the foot being painted on page 14. Maybe yours isn't the stomping foot, but maybe a foot bottom used for close-ups?

Tom St. Amands used to have a company called Jointworks and he would sell you a copy of the AT-AT armature and a list of the plastic bits used to complete one. I understand that in the late 1980's and into the 1990's it would cost about $4K to complete one.

Does anyone know about this 'AT-AT armature and a list of plastic bits' that he sold thru his company? :confused

I think y3a was trolling, Tom never had any part in putting the plastic bits on the original walkers as far as I know... that was one of Steve Gawley, Charlie Bailey and Joe Johnston's jobs :)

But what about the armature? My understanding is that Jon Berg designed the mechanics and Tom machined the components. Are there any plans/blueprints? And if so, who has them?

Jon designed the armature and Tom took down measurements of those parts on yellow notepads with crude construction drawings and used them to machine the final armature parts. But he lost those drawings in the process of giving them to Lucasfilm for a court case in 1984 and they're located in the LF archives (but JW Rinzler found them while digging up stuff for his ESB book, so they are still around).

http://www.leagle.com/decision/19841866613FSupp1253_11650

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back