Blade Runner: The original Esper photo does appear in the final movie

kurtyboy

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but while working on my set of Leon's photos (head to the Junkyard to see them :)) I noticed something interesting.

If anyone owns the awesome book 'Blade Runner: The Inside Story' (or indeed the original Cinefex magazine which it is a reprint of) they will have seen the photo designed for the original Esper scene. Ultimately the scene wasn't used but it can be found on the recent DVD/Bluray box set as a deleted scene. If you haven't already got the box set you really must get it. Some of the deleted scenes are a revelation.

It appears that some shots from the original Esper scene were actually used in the final movie. The original photo pops up a few times but flopped and cropped compared to how it appears in the book.

Check out the continuity error:

Deckard takes the new Esper photo from the piano.
esper2.jpg

But it's the old version he puts in his mouth. You can make out the word 'Polaroid' along the bottom edge and in some frames you can also just make out the red Chinese symbols down the side. I have overlaid my replica next to it for comparison.
esper3.jpg

He grabs his booze and heads over to the Esper, still with the original version of the photo in his mouth.
esper4.jpg

He pops the photo into the machine, and of course the new version, the one we all know, appears on the screen
esper6.jpg

And if anyone here hasn't seen the deleted scene, here's a shot from it.
esper5.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back