X Wing build.

+1 on those ribs for the intakes. I always thought that area looked too bare on the originals. Can't wait to see paint; those engine wells are really gonna look great. Great build.:thumbsup
Those are only inside the four foot model. Only it has the detail that this has. The original ILM models of the seventies never had this inside their engine intakes. Those were so small that you'd never see it inside them anyway. If you tried to get a close up shot of it - everything else around that area would be a great big blur!

Most excellent build dude!. She's lookin nice and clean and love the piping in the wells, this area is just crying out for it to be detailed and yours looks awesome with just the right amount without going overboard.
This X will rock when finished, I'm sure of it!.
Stu

Well no X wing updates, but alot of thanks for the comments that have been posted. It does help to push you towards doing that little bit extra and as it comes from people who have been generous with their own fantastic builds it really does pick you up. I guess its time to return the favour.
I am starting a Randy Cooper Sand Crawler build over in the General sectioin of the forum . It was going to be my winter build but I want to get it out the way now and painted at the same time as I do the X wing. I hope I can help with a few hints and tips, in the same way many others have done with their projects.

Your doing a fantastic job so far! I think I'm going to use some of your ideas on my next V2 build. Keep up the great work.

Come on more photos please. Youve just raised the bar on the XWing builds & I want more. I rekon theres a few others that would appreciate some update as well. :thumbsup

I'm trying to get the Sandcrawler finished then I'll paint it and the X wing at the same time. Theres a lot of colours ie rusts and blacks, that are common to both and I want to do them at the same time. Truth is I hate having to clean up the airbrushes so its easier to do it the ILM way and just leave them in a jar of white spirit overnight.

Well ,I'm back on the X wing now that the crawler is done. I've finished all the electronics in the cockpit and the engines and have put the main body together.
I've made the nose like the 4ft version with the cut towards the front. It ment I had to extend it by about 3mm but it seems to look alright. If anyone thinks otherwise then let me know ,but it will have to be quick as I start the finishing paintwork from Wednesday.
I like the engines now they have been done and dirtied, much more like I hoped. All the wings, lazers and body are assembled. Mike ,thanks for the info on the snow shovel part, when I saw where it was to supposed to go I laught, I couldn't believe I missed it!!!
I will be using no set template for this X wing, though it will closely resemble the 4ft version. I've built the cockpit like Wedges RTOJ version because the 4ft version one doesn't seem like an X wing one proper.
Overall I like alot of the painted detail on it ,but I will alter some of it, as there are weathering details on the studio full sized ones I want to include. It will be a bit slow as drying times in the cold weather slow things up. I simply want to produce an X wing that looks as good as I can get it, and ,as I've said before all the versions I know of have already been done very impressively, so theres no need to reproduce them again exactly. So I guess it will be a bit of a Rogue then!
Anyway heres pics.

2009_1108wingx0010.jpg

2009_1108wingx0006.jpg

2009_1108wingx0005.jpg

2009_1108wingx0002.jpg

Well, here are the latest. I've only really got the underside ,then the cannons to finish as well as the R2 and pilot and some finer details such as lazer marks.
As I've said I've not patterned her against any one ship inparticular, though I like to think of her as "The Veteran" , one of the few X wings that has survived many campaigns.
Sorry about the flash its the only way i can get the engines to stand out, and yes, the uprights will be going into the engine intakes later.

2009_1111px0028.jpg

2009_1111px0021.jpg

2009_1111px0014.jpg

2009_1111px0032.jpg

2009_1111px0031.jpg

2009_1111px0025.jpg

2009_1111px0037.jpg

Not much done except to finish off the lights. I like the engines but I wouldnt go to all the trouble of doing a cabin again.
The odd shape between the engines photo is the fibre optics for the R2 unit. Again another thing I would' not bother with again.

2006_0101lllpx0006.jpg

2006_0101lllpx0003.jpg

I'm very envious of you Cutthumb. The amount of detail that you added looks really good. If you're short on studio images, I have some.

A Salzo V3?....
....are these kits hard to come by?

Easily my favorite V3 build on here. Looks superb... the attention to detail and nose modifications... really captures the look of its big brother. :thumbsup

Thanks everyone. I've not had a chance to work on her this week as the weather and other tasks have stuffed me up. I shall have to build a spraybooth as its a bit to wet and cold now to work with all the windows open and risk the airbrush coughing all over it with a splat attack.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back