My Hero M41A Pulse Rifle - Moving on to the Build... finally!

DBoz

Sr Member
11 November 2010 Update:

Well, after more than a year of sitting on parts, I've finally moved on to the build. I made the decision to go all real steel instead of the airsoft route. It is an expensive path, but hey, it's a Pulse Rifle, only the best will do. So, I got the thompson parts kit and aluminum upper receiver and am ready to rock. You'll notice I listed the year on the update... that's because it may take me years to actually build this.

Here's the parts list as it stands now:
1. Real Steel Thompson Lower and parts
2. SD Studios Aluminum upper receiver
3. SD Studios Aluminum barrel
4. Real Steel SPAS12 vent & pump
5. Matsucorp Real Steel deact Remington 870 shotgun
6. Matsucorp Aluminum powder/resin shrouds
7. Matsucorp resin grip
8. Matsucorp Metal Stock
9. Matsucorp Metal barrel vent and barrel support
10. SD Studios Hero GL Front Block
11. Hyperdyne Labs Counter
12. Screen accurate sling (Noble)

Original Post 27 September 2009:

Got a huge box of awesomeness from Matsuo this week. I now have all the major components of my Hero M41a. It'll probably take me quite a while to actually get this built, as I'm lazy, but I'll post updates here. In the mean time, here's what I've got:

1. Cybergun Thompson M1A1
2. Tokyo Marui 190 magazine
3. Real Steel SPAS12 vent & pump (thanks to Armourer)
4. Matsucorp Real Steel deact Remington 870 shotgun (very heavy, but very cool)
5. Matsucorp Aluminum powder/resin shrouds
6. Matsucorp resin grip
7. Matsucorp Metal Stock
8. Matsucorp Metal barrel vent and barrel support
9. SD Studios Hero GL Front Block (thanks to SD Studios and Xhiwar)
10. Tommin Thompson GL adapter (thanks to Tommin)

Here's how it looks hastily thrown together just to see:
my_pulse_01.jpg

First step will be to cut the SPAS cage. I also haven't decided on what electronics package I want to put in yet. I'm leaning towards a simple one. I don't want lights and sound, so that simplifies greatly. I pretty much only want the counter to show 95 when you insert the mag and then count down when you pull the trigger. I really like the ReplicantFX solution because it would allow me to expand in the future if I change my mind, plus it has the small form factor, unfortunately, they are not currently taking orders. The Hyperdyne unit fits my needs, but is a bit costly for a simple counter.

Last edited:
Re: My Hero M41A Pulse Rifle - Gathering parts

Got a huge box of awesomeness from Matsuo this week. I now have all the major components of my Hero M41a. It'll probably take me quite a while to actually get this built, as I'm lazy, but I'll post updates here. In the mean time, here's what I've got:

1. Cybergun Thompson M1A1
2. Tokyo Marui 190 magazine
3. Real Steel SPAS12 vent & pump (thanks to Armourer)
4. Matsucorp Real Steel deact Remington 870 shotgun (very heavy, but very cool)
5. Matsucorp Aluminum powder/resin shrouds
6. Matsucorp resin grip
7. Matsucorp Metal Stock
8. Matsucorp Metal barrel vent and barrel support
9. SD Studios Hero GL Front Block (thanks to SD Studios and Xhiwar)
10. Tommin Thompson GL adapter (thanks to Tommin)

Here's how it looks hastily thrown together just to see:
my_pulse_01.jpg

First step will be to cut the SPAS cage. I also haven't decided on what electronics package I want to put in yet. I'm leaning towards a simple one. I don't want lights and sound, so that simplifies greatly. I pretty much only want the counter to show 95 when you insert the mag and then count down when you pull the trigger. I really like the ReplicantFX solution because it would allow me to expand in the future if I change my mind, plus it has the small form factor, unfortunately, they are not currently taking orders. The Hyperdyne unit fits my needs, but is a bit costly for a simple counter.

Nice work so far looks beautiful

I echo the above, very nice so far. Can't wait to see it finished esp with such a collection of quality parts. Have you decided on one of the bigger decisions..BB or OD :D

Thanks. At this point, all the praise goes the fine craftsmen who made the parts as I have done nothing more than assemble them. As for the color, I am going to go with OD because it's easier and also because I have the HCG pulse rifle on order in Brown Bess, so I'll have the best of both worlds.

Looking sweet. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Just a thought, and it really doesn't matter, but if an airsoft Thompson is used, can it be considered a true "Hero".

Kinda splittin' hairs at this point. :)

That looks amazing already!! Just a little pointer as far as the airsoft adapter is concerned. Take the barrel sleeve out and mark it 3" from the rear end. Re-insert to that mark and this should give you accurate length on the front. Just judging by your current pic, it may be out just a little too far. There is plenty of room for adjustment here though so go with what you like best.

Again, this is a really nice looking piece already. Congrats to you. :)

Thanks for the tip Tom. Right now it's just thrown together. Nothing is adjusted or cleaned up or anything. I just recently got all the parts and wanted to see it somewhat together. That's what that picture shows.

I am actually considering having a barrel made with a more correct profile and 10mm bore. I have to talk to a friend about it to see if it is something he can do.

As for what is a "Hero" prop... well, my understanding of the terms "Hero" vs. "Stunt" versions is that a stunt is less detailed and used for wider and background shots, whereas a hero version is a much more detailed one used for closeups where detail is necessary. While this would include firing versions, in my opinion, it doesn't preclude non-firing versions. I am just going for balancing the most detail that I can get while also incorporating a certain amount of functionality. Given the choice between an airsoft thompson and a thompson reciever blank and lower parts, I went with the airsoft because it was cheaper, looked just as good and offered the possibility of functionality. But, like you said, it is pretty much splitting hairs.

I can never get sick looking at M41A Pulse rifles from Aliens ....... I just sit and stare at mine alot ..... Fantastic job .....looking NICE.........

Sadly, this all still sits, unassembled. Primarily due to lack of a work space. One of these days I'm gonna get it done, however.

10 hole vent... cherish it, you wont likely see any more of those around. :(

M

Sadly, this all still sits, unassembled. Primarily due to lack of a work space. One of these days I'm gonna get it done, however.

I keep telling myself the same thing. One of these days. This is how mine sets...

img9.jpg

...in the JY...

Beautiful PRs waiting to be born....Please, they deserve to see the light! ;)
Jesse

Mine will definitely get built... I just can't say when. It is my holy grail of props, so it's not going anywhere. I just don't want to make any mistakes when I finally do get around to building it.

Hey DBoz, that looks really cool. I recently acquired a cybergun tompson, and now i can't wait to build my pulse rifle. You mentioned "matsucorp" parts; where can i find a link to buy these?
Thanks,
mike

Hey DBoz, that looks really cool. I recently acquired a cybergun tompson, and now i can't wait to build my pulse rifle. You mentioned "matsucorp" parts; where can i find a link to buy these?
Thanks,
mike
In this prop forum ,you can contact him ,for whatever parts he may have laying around ,but right now ,he is not making any pulse rifles anymore for the time being ,look up the name Matsuo ,and you will find him ,hope that helps ..........

In this prop forum ,you can contact him ,for whatever parts he may have laying around ,but right now ,he is not making any pulse rifles anymore for the time being ,look up the name Matsuo ,and you will find him ,hope that helps ..........
Or just click on the post from Matsuo in this very thread. ;):)

Or just click on the post from Matsuo in this very thread. ;):)
That is what happens when these dang forums make 3 hours go by and you get sleepy , I totally read alot that day ,and completely overlooked it ,LOL ,I love these forums ..........

That is what happens when these dang forums make 3 hours go by and you get sleepy , I totally read alot that day ,and completely overlooked it ,LOL ,I love these forums ..........

Back down, Guy. I mean a motion tracker for $450?! ...rock on bud!!!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back