Original Costumes from 1966 Batman

We are wearing ORIGINAL COSTUMES from the show.
Lynne is a trained costumer and patternmaker. We took patterns and measurments off the original set to make accurate patterns available.

We've been making "Bat" stuff like our cowl for a few years now. Our shell is from a plaster pull of an original that I molded and cast.
It's covered in original styled,custom dyed fabric.
Ours is the "blue" cowl.

The original costumes are owned by friends of ours.
Chuck...

OK, sorry if i'm not catching on here...the suits u guys are wearing u made?

I have a question about the cowl. I read recently that Batgirl's cowl had a buckram shell and was wondering if that is the same for Batman's cowl. I am in the process of making the Batman costume for my son and since I happen to be sitting on a bolt of buckram...

Oh and please put me on the list for a set of patterns pretty please!!!!!

I have a question about the cowl. I read recently that Batgirl's cowl had a buckram shell and was wondering if that is the same for Batman's cowl. I am in the process of making the Batman costume for my son and since I happen to be sitting on a bolt of buckram...

Oh and please put me on the list for a set of patterns pretty please!!!!!
Thanks Guys!!!!
We'll be making the patterns available as soon as we can. We won't be making costumes, just providing the patterns at this point.

The batman cowl shell is made from fiberglass. It's very thin. Approx 1/16" at it's thickest. I don't see why you couldn't use buckram for a child's costume. I frankly hate working in fiberglass!

Yes, the costumes we are wearing in the photo are the originals, not replicas. The original batman cowl has faded to that berry purple color. The rest of the suit is fading to purple too except for the cape. It's silk and still looks great.

Chuck

Thanks Guys!!!

Here are a few more images.

I was really happy with the work we've done so far.
Here's our cowl fabric next to the original cape.

colormatch.jpg

Our Utility Belt.

beltcolor.jpg

Somethings were a big surprise. Like the color of the Robin vest. It's pictured here on top of a comtemporary replica.

robinvest.jpg

Finally got a rubbing of the Utility Belt Buckle "Bat"!!!!

bucklebatrubbing.jpg

We matched everything with Pantone color numbers.

emblemcolor.jpg

We're planning on doing a very limited edition release of the patterns with fabric swatches of some of the more obscure and rare fabrics like for the cowl and for Robin's trunks.
Here are the original Robin trunks on top and the newly sourced fabric on the bottom.

robintrunks.jpg

It's been a slice of Heaven for this classic BatGeek!!:lol

Chuck...

Last edited:
I sold my costume earlier this year, miss it so!YOURS ARE PERFECT! Bravo!Hey I have a fiberglass cowl base for the mask.Just a raw fiberglass, to attach the fabric to.How do I go about re-creating the mask- cowl?Now go get the Car to go with it!!!!!Tom***** Turbins to power, power to speed.....- Robin

It's fantastic to see the detailed photos of the original costumes, as well as the amazing accuracy with which you've matched the fabrics, colors, and patterns in your recreations. You and your wife look terrific in the original costumes, too. Thank you for sharing all of this with us, Chuck! :thumbsup

The West Batman cowl you made for me a few years ago remains one of the most treasured pieces in my collection. :love

It always amazes me how, when someone puts on that old TV Bat cowl, they suddenly LOOK like Adam West! Holy Bat-Magic!

Very cool experience!

Thanks Guys!!!!

Speaking of the cowl, it was VERY asymmetrical. At one point I used to think the original form was a "Balsa Block" head form used in hat making. After seeing it in person and other input , it looks to have been completely hand sculpted on Adam's life mask.

It's such a unique look that is hard to replicate because we wouldn't be happy with something that looked like this!!:eek
That's quite a "bump" to one side of the forehead!! You can also see that one side is further forward than the other.
bumpintheknight.jpg

For those who haven't seen the inside.
This is a third season cowl. Adam swears he doesn't remember this "Rig" on the inside. The stunt man had a smaller head than Adam and a lot of us think this was added for the stunt man. But we all know that memories can change.This was definitely a screen used by Adam West cowl based on photos.The eyebrows are like fingerprints!!!:lol
insidecowl.jpg

Chuck...

Last edited:
Yep,

Strips of fiberglass cloth. Very thin.The thickest part I could see was only 1/16".
This one had tiny holes drilled for ventilation.

I made one this way with cloth and it was a pain in the rear!! I normally use matte. Goes much faster.

The rig was put in after the main casting. You can see the small discolored patches of cloth holding it in.

Chuck...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back