Original Costumes from 1966 Batman

Thanks Guys!!!

It looks to be from another helmet/hard hat of some kind.If you've seen one like this, PLEASE let me know. I've looked but had no luck. It's molded plastic(the white part) with a leather sweat band.

Speaking of leather, Robin's gloves are made from "Peccary Leather". A South American hog. It's distinguished by the three hair bristles in straight lines.Used for top drawer driving gloves.

robinglove1.jpg

He's a pretty easy "Make it Yourself" costume part.
Robin's T-shirt was off the rack, literally!!:lol

robint.jpg

Here's another Utility Belt curiosity. Brass rod attached to steel "found" part to receive the custom buckle.

batbuckle2.jpg

Glad you guys are liking this stuff!!!!

Happy to share!

Chuck...

I've seen pics of different proto belts they made for Mr. West, some actually opened up and held stuff! :confused I don't suppose the one you have does anything cool? I'd love to see how they built those!

I've got some photos of those that I'll dig out. Nothing super detailed but you can make out that they are metal (probably aluminum) with piano hinges.
The Bat-A-Rang pouch was metal with a leather strap over the top opening.

I always cracked up when I saw him wearing these boxes.

I always thought they looked like lunch boxes stuck on his belt!!:lol

Chuck...

Last edited:
So a friend just sent me these images with the innocent title "Does this look familiar?"

helmetliner1.jpg

helmetliner2.jpg

insidecowl.jpg

Well, there you have it!!!

The rig came from a vintage 1950s hard hat!!!

Man, I love the Internet!!!!

Chuck...

Any chance on an angle of the original cowl from the inside, looking forward (towards the face), rather than down into it? Thanks for all this reference!

Any chance on an angle of the original cowl from the inside, looking forward (towards the face), rather than down into it? Thanks for all this reference!

My pleasure GH !!!!

I don't think I have one square to the inside face but I 'll see what I've got.
Chuck...

Wow Chuck thanks for the great cowl pics , Is there a forhead lump on your cowl as well?

Indeed there is a bump on the forehead of my latest shell from about a year ago. I thought it was a warp in the casting I got but nope, it's in the original!!:thumbsup
shellbump.jpg

There are many things on my new shell that are on the original. My shell was created from a first generation plaster pull ( that I now own )from inside an original shell. The shells are quite thin so every major plane change is there. The rest I filled in with measurments off the original you see in this thread.

Here's a photo of this shell as I was working on it compared to one of the many floating around the market place. You can see just how shrunken and badly overtrimmed those are.
cowlcomp2.jpg

Chuck...

Last edited:
holy crap... how did you find this? who was it made by?
One of my friends sent it to me.
He found it with a web search.
AHHH, the information age pays off!!:thumbsup

He sent photos of two different hard hats from the 50's that used this rig. I don't believe they were the same make but I'm not 100% sure. They were the same style.

Last edited:
Here's the best I could find in the archives for ya GH.
study_04.jpg

Another bit of trivia that most folks don't know is that the fins on the glove get smaller as they go up the arm!!!!

2380-0003.jpg

Chuck...

Well thanks to a buddy, I'm the proud owner of this vintage 50's construction helmet with a CHERRY suspension rig identical to the original cowls!!!

Now I know how you fellas finding original lightsaber parts feel!!!!

Chuck...
cowlsuspen.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back