Original Costumes from 1966 Batman

clayslinger

Hi All,

My wife Lynne and I just got finished taking patterns and measurements of an original set of Batman costumes.One of only two complete sets on the planet to my knowledge.
We had a blast and couldn't resist a little goofin' around.

duo1.jpg

What a blast!!!
Chuck...

Hey Chuck,

That is all kinds of awesome! I wish I could dress up at Batman from 66!!!! Now all you need is that red bat-phone! haha

Great costumes!

Thanks Guys!!

It was a lot of fun checking out the construction of these costumes. My wife is a former Hollywood costumer and trained pattern maker. Some of it, like Robins vest, were beautifully made in the "Old Hollywood" way and other things like the finish work on the cowl and capes were really head scratching or downright thrown together!!

It was a chance to fulfill a childhood fantasy though!!!

Chuck...

great work you two.
The 66 Bat suit was something I always wanted to do, but my bod doesn't fit the look.
Now ya need the batmobile to top it off.

My pleasure!!!
Here I'm comparing a replica cowl we make with an original.Ours is painted in the first season style and the original here is from the third season.
They are cousins to be sure!!

duo3.jpg

duo2.jpg

I'll add more as I start getting them together.

Thanks Guys!!
Glad you like 'em!
Chuck...

Oh, I am drooling. That's it. You've convinced me. I've got to put one of these costumes together. Where does one start?

Oh, I am drooling. That's it. You've convinced me. I've got to put one of these costumes together. Where does one start?
It depends on how authentic you want to go.

The fabrics are the problem with the Batsuit.
The cowl fabric is no longer made. The company went under a few years back. I haven't found any new stock after I bought 50 yards a couple of years back.
It also has to be custom dyed. Back in the day it only came in black, white and nude.More colors now but still no Navy. The fabric was used in ladies satin panel girdles. It's been replaced in the market with satin spandex.

I'm in the process of finding a vendor to produce the fiberglass shells.

The cape fabric is expensive heavyweight silk satin.

We are going to be producing a limited edition set of patterns of both these costumes. They will have all the information and measurements of these originals.

Using replacement fabrics like Lycra and PolySatin make it fairly easy though once you have the patterns.

Chuck...

Sounds cool. I'd be interested in a pattern set and fiberglass shell. At any rate, thanks for sharing the pics. The TRUE Batman.

Here are a couple of detail shots you may like.

The tunic top has a yellow oval painted on it under the emblem for placement.
emblempaint.jpg

The Utility Belt tubes are lightweight "silver" metal with "Tacked on/soldered" brass belt loops and a metal "cap" on the end. If anyone can enlighten me about joining dissimilar metals, I'm all ears! I thought that was a no-no.
UBA.jpg

UBB.jpg

Chuck...

It can be done, Stainless to aluminum.. but its a PITA. It takes a special rod and a good welder. One that has done it before. Problems with the heat and such. It is a TIG process, not a MIG or Stick. Brass is brazed on, and that is normally done with a torch, and filler metal in rod form. Seems like you have aluminum, and the easy way to test is with a magnet. If it has no pull, it is either aluminum or stainless, although stainless is far heavier.

For an easier way, although not authentic like your pic shows you could use a metal adhesive called belzona.

http://www.belzona.com/

This is a permanent mounting mixture that could be done to look like a weld. It would have to be painted.

Last edited:
Chuck this is awesome! I've wanted a cowl ever since the first time I saw this
show! If I may ask what do you sell your cowls for and please keep me in mind for a cowl shell and pattern.

That would have been a blast trying these items on, lucky you!:thumbsup

Keith

Hi All,

My wife Lynne and I just got finished taking patterns and measurements of an original set of Batman costumes.One of only two complete sets on the planet to my knowledge.
We had a blast and couldn't resist a little goofin' around.

duo1.jpg

What a blast!!!
Chuck...

I'm confused...u are wearing the ORIGINAL suites? Or copies u made? Where did u get the original?

I'm confused...u are wearing the ORIGINAL suites? Or copies u made? Where did u get the original?
We are wearing ORIGINAL COSTUMES from the show.
Lynne is a trained costumer and patternmaker. We took patterns and measurments off the original set to make accurate patterns available.

We've been making "Bat" stuff like our cowl for a few years now. Our shell is from a plaster pull of an original that I molded and cast.
It's covered in original styled,custom dyed fabric.
Ours is the "blue" cowl.

The original costumes are owned by friends of ours.
Chuck...

It can be done, Stainless to aluminum.. but its a PITA. It takes a special rod and a good welder. One that has done it before. Problems with the heat and such. It is a TIG process, not a MIG or Stick. Brass is brazed on, and that is normally done with a torch, and filler metal in rod form. Seems like you have aluminum, and the easy way to test is with a magnet. If it has no pull, it is either aluminum or stainless, although stainless is far heavier.

For an easier way, although not authentic like your pic shows you could use a metal adhesive called belzona.

http://www.belzona.com/

This is a permanent mounting mixture that could be done to look like a weld. It would have to be painted.

Thanks!!!
That's a great link. I'll be using it on something, I'm sure.
I'm leaning toward stainless because it seemed very thin walled but stiff. Also just what a PITA aluminum is to work with. I just remembered that another part of the buckle was definitely brass joined to stainless.:$

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back