Captain's chair - Car seat upholstery?

Sulla

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been working on my Defiant Captain’s chair again and was wondering about the reupholstering part of my project. I need to get my chair reupholstered and get some of that matching fabric to make the side arms of the chair.

Anyone dealt with auto upholstering before? Who does it, where do you get/choose fabrics, what kind of fabrics are used… mostly just who does auto reupholstering?

I'm not sure about what the deal is with your specific type of seats, but I know that for the seats in my 986 you can buy OEM replacement seat fabric. Of course you'd have to do the reupholstering yourself, but I imagine there are specific places that do car interiors.

You'd be surprised how many upholstery folks may be in your area.
Most places have huge books of swatches then order accordingly. All the fabric shops I've seen seem to be in really bad areas for some reason too. lol just something I've noticed.
Depends on what you're looking for too. Most places deal in vinyl cause their cheap. Leather is more rare. Cloth fabrics come in such a wide variety as well.
Even the fabric shops don't carry everything just the real basic and common stuff. Kinda like looking for carpeting. small swatches in giant books. tons and tons of books

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back