FOUND ITEM! DS9/O’Brien’s flashlight!

Sulla

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks to a prop collector who owns one of the screen-used items I was able to identify the light used in DS9, most notably encased in O’Brien’s tool box. Woo hoo! I built O’Brien’s tool box once already and am working on a second more accurate one. This find is a totally fantastic one for my FAN-atic obsession with this prop container.

It’s a Sunpak CZ-200A video light. The battery used is an RB-55 6v. The screen used prop I had pictorial access to is Sony brand. The light I got has a Sunpak brand RB-55. While the light is somewhat difficult to find, the batteries and the chargers are very prevalent.

You can clearly see that the prop makers chopped off the back end off the light (the battery holder) and repositioned it with a little scratch building. I am also pretty sure they rewired the switch from the big orange button to a square switch on the neck of the prop light.

cz200.jpg

df2938b5a9bc30597db2940d615694c2.jpg

3d1e2478ce8aba5e7e60440d48bd55f8.jpg

07da57ca946bb06b81837c1a578c3541.jpg

DSC06427.jpg

DSC06430.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sulla,

There are two switches on top and both work, they are momtery switches. most of the extra housing parts were scratch built and cast in resin. I do think that we made one of the parts vacuum form. The red switch was a master off switch. Some were in storage I have the master parts for the add'ons. One of these days I hope to go through my stuff.

HMS Mike

This was a great find Sulla. Its been nice knowing someone who endulges in Trek prop part hunting as a sport like I do. I am glad to have crossed paths wish someone as crazy as me! :)

Again, its too cool to read history from you Mike.

I vaguely remember Riker on TNG searching through wreckage using a handheld flashlight like that.
Yeah, I remember a light like that used on several TNG episodes. However, I thought that light was more uniformly square than this one.

Would love to make a good TNG flashlight replica.

Jep, the TNG version looked a little more streamlined, as you can see here:

pdvd071.jpg

TNG - 7x19 - "Genesis"

BTW, great find, Sulla! :)

Mike, thanks for the pic and the info. As always, your input is invaluable! :thumbsup

Now, if you could provide us with the master parts for the add-ons, that would be terrific! So, how about it? ;)

Thanks Mike. I appreciate your input and the images yo uput up on flikr.

For anyone interested I have put together a phobucket album with most of my images of the light. You will see my light (partially disssassembled), Sancho's light (from yourprops.com - presented with his permission.)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back