"Pan Sword"-Replicas from HOOK out there?

If I were to tackle this, I'd carve the blade from some solid brass bar, then polish it to a mirror shine.

I've done a quick search to try and find some ready to use coconut shells but havn't found them yet. It looks to me like the shells are covered with "banana leaves" or something similar.

I've been doing a fair ammount of brass work recently with the Ribbon Devices and I think that this sword would look beautiful done in a similar way. If I can find a good source of shells, then I don't think this should be *too* expensive either.

Cheers

Pete

Here is a link to a company that would probably be able to make the blade shape desired, can't say anything about brass stock, but I know he has made a Pan styled sword in the past.

www.baltimoreknife.com

Also, The Iron Hook, makes a great hook set.

Cheers

Sebastian

If I were to tackle this, I'd carve the blade from some solid brass bar, then polish it to a mirror shine.

I've done a quick search to try and find some ready to use coconut shells but havn't found them yet. It looks to me like the shells are covered with "banana leaves" or something similar.

I've been doing a fair ammount of brass work recently with the Ribbon Devices and I think that this sword would look beautiful done in a similar way. If I can find a good source of shells, then I don't think this should be *too* expensive either.

Cheers

Pete

WOW, I c things coming :thumbsup
I guess u r able to do a sword like this?
That would be stunning and fantastic if somebody ever replicate this prop.
But I rather think, this prop is for a bigger run a "no-go". Am I right??

Don't tell me you were the one that beat me on the Lost Boys Helmets recently.. :lol

No Beechy, I didnt´t:angel
I´ve seen it, but didn´t bid.

the things I have bought recently are more Captains related.
They may be seen very soon in the Screen used prop section:cool:)

WOW, I c things coming :thumbsup
I guess u r able to do a sword like this?
That would be stunning and fantastic if somebody ever replicate this prop.
But I rather think, this prop is for a bigger run a "no-go". Am I right??

I've been looking into getting a strip of brass to make a prototype, and today I was walking the dog and found half an empty coconut shell on the forest floor! So now this looks like it has to be my next project! The main cost of doing a run of these will be the time it takes to make the blade, other than that, it should be a pretty quick build. I'll have a beter idea of costs once the first has ben made. Pretty excited about ths one!

Why not simply machine the blade in aluminum and have it plated?

The brass stock would cost a fortune!

I've been quoted £17 for the brass stock in the right size, which sounds incredibly reasonable to me (shipping's pretty pricy though!) Ally woudn't be much cheaper than that, and I've yet to find a worthwhile plating company that doesn't cost the earth where I live.

I like the idea of the weight of a brass blade too, got a bit more heft to it than an ally one.

Yep, getting a single item plated is ridiculous. I like the idea of using brass anyway. It would be pretty soft but the look would be fantastic with proper polish.

I just found 2 screen used swords.. I rubber hero and a stab sword pics to follow.. I was able to hold both of them they are the real deal.

Last edited:
Both swords are plated, with a wooden dowl for the handle wrapped in leather grip. The coconut is not real its cast rubber.. The stunt sword was fully plated even the coconut. The paint can bee seen craking with the brass showing through.. I have this guys number so if you want some better pics i think i can get them.. He is trying to sell them but he doesn't know what to ask.. They were bought years ago from the prop master who was a friend of his at the time.. He also has a hero sword from "Krull" And "The First Knight"

Stab sword
downsized_0206001622.jpg

downsized_0206001623.jpg

0206001626.jpg

stunt/hero
0206001624.jpg

downsized_0206001625.jpg

Appreciated. They are still pretty good cloes ups.
I have some other irons in the fire but I might try doing one of these.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back