who can print white ink on clear plastic?

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a general appeal for info. I have a project where I need to put white ink on CLEAR adhesive stickers.

I have already thought of band sticker printer places (minimums too high or they won't print on clear), and the famous ALPS printer that prints white (won't do in this case).

Any other ideas? I need the answer! :cry

Thanks! :D

Karl

This is a general appeal for info. I have a project where I need to put white ink on CLEAR adhesive stickers.

I have already thought of band sticker printer places (minimums too high or they won't print on clear), and the famous ALPS printer that prints white (won't do in this case).

Any other ideas? I need the answer! :cry

Thanks! :D

Karl

I have the same problem with decals....:(

Could you make a negative mask using something like a Stika(tm) or Cri-cut(tm) label cutting machine, lay that over your clear labels and spray them with a rattle can, or maybe a better paint in an airbrush?

and the famous ALPS printer that prints white (won't do in this case).

Why won't the Alps do it?

The only real problem I have with clear stickers is finding good sticker material stock to print on, I have had very little issues with the Alps printers themselves and have owned and still do own several of them...

The type which has to be white, is very small. Like 9 point.

The stucker itself is very small too. I am told the ALPS printing will probably not be sharp enough.

K

I just printed labels, clear plastic from online lables . com

it took very well on my inkjet..but not sure about white ink...

when you buy, they send you a link for their software that allows you to make a template for their labels..

What about just altering the "white" so that it's not 100% "white" (ivory or maybe a blue/grey/whatever tinge to it). No idea if it would actually work though.... :confused

What about just altering the "white" so that it's not 100% "white" (ivory or maybe a blue/grey/whatever tinge to it). No idea if it would actually work though.... :confused

No such thing with regular printers. He needs to print opaque which an inkjet won't do.

Yeah you can't really print "white" on an inkjet... the ALPS was pretty much the only printer that could do it, which is why it is so coveted among decal makin' folks.

I'll check out the dry transfers, which I have used in the past but on this project I wanted something more durable. Prehaps a clear blank sticker on top of the dry transfer...

k

I am told the ALPS printing will probably not be sharp enough.

Alps are photo quality printers, the older ones are 600 DPI and the MD5000 was 2400 DPI, if that isn't sharp enough then you are really looking at extremely costly options...

The biggest issue with ALPS printers in the medium, they print extremely well on some materials and crappy on others they require lots of testing to find what works best...

But they should be able to do 9 point text without much trouble...

Yeah you can't really print "white" on an inkjet... the ALPS was pretty much the only printer that could do it, which is why it is so coveted among decal makin' folks.

I'll check out the dry transfers, which I have used in the past but on this project I wanted something more durable. Prehaps a clear blank sticker on top of the dry transfer...

k
You might want to look into the Print Gocco kits like this one...http://www.northwoodstudios.us/goccoprinters.html

They are silk screen but they use a laser printer page to make the mask. The steps are simple

1.You simply print out a b&w page with your art work.
2. You put the screen into a flash unit (1 or 2 yellow flash bulbs and holder that comes with the kit),lay ontop of the printed artwork, and fire the flash.
3. Remove the screen and attach to a print handle.
4 Add int to the back of the screen( most colors amd some metallic inks available).
5. Lay the item to be printed under the holder and press down like using a rubber stamp.

There is no developing chemicals needed as the screens resist adhears to the carbon in the toner and is pulled off when you remove your art work.

I don't know if it's practical or not, but you may need to shoot white paint on the receiving area, and then adjust the transparency to matte out the white.

Adding to jonny5’s idea, would it be possible to have someone make a photo-etched stencil from thin brass or stainless? You could airbrush white paint over the stencil and possibly get the desired effect.

-John

Last edited by a moderator:
How large are the stickers supposed to be? We have a lable maker at work that prints white on a clear sticker we use to make employee name tags.

Hey Phase Pistol,
I just saw this... I work as a Artist in an decal company, how many do you need and what are specs??

PM me with info and I'll get back to you.. If its a small run, I'll see if I can do it as a "test"...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back