32" Falcon My First Scratch Build

There is a 2/8s in there too. :)

Crikey !, there's just no pleasing some folks :rolleyes, when I received these I was very very chuffed. Anyway, didn't you know that 2/8ths is more accurate than 1/4..? :lol..

Phil.

Last edited:
Don't confuse me guys :wacko I have enough trouble figurin these measurements out. We do everything in mm's. Im just learning Inches.
Just got home from 15hr day working 2 jobs. Thought I'd trace & cut the second Base shape so I can get something 3d in my hand before the end of the weekend. All went well & I have twins. Will do the side walls tomorrow. To do this I just repeated the first steps though left a little roon around the edges for sanding & sharpenning the shapes up. Whats the best stuff to use for glueing/secureing styrene cause the last thing I want is this thing poppin on me...:eek

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm pretty sure that kit is not used on the 32" falcon. :unsure
Are you sure? I thought the 1/30 Hummel was used for the rear struts? The kits from 1980. If anyone could clarify a definate I'd really appreciate it. I just bought the 1/15 Bandai Hummel aswell for backup.

Update. So this morning I cut out my printed Base Plans as whole shapes. I'll lay my parts out on these later. By photo. 1)Cut Base Plans 2)Bought paper to trace plans & make mock ups before cutting my styren(thanks Phil) 3)Traced outline onto paper 4)Made circle maker out of piece of wood with nail hammered into one end & a whole drilled at half the distance I wanted my circle to be. Shoved pencil in hole & whalar, circle maker! 5)Drew my 'perfect' circle! 6)Checked the measurements(spoton!:cool) 7)Sharpened the lines up & checked the measurements 8)Inner Base ready for cutting & transfering to styrene for cutting 9)Do I cut these add on edges off & follow the line through or cut as is?
I just want to say thanks again for everyones support. Ive got a handle on things now. The JW plans are quite incorrect & the JM plans are pretty much spot on. Thank the gods.

Love this post!!!
Even though the pics don't show up!!!

Yep, pretty sure
How many 1/30 Hummel's did Bandai make? You sure its just not in a different box? Sorry to push this just covering any possibillities. Anyone got picture of the 1/30 Bandai Hummel used on the 32? Can someone also point me to that thread where someone measured up the MR with a Caliper?

I believe Bandai made 2 1/15 Hummels.One was retooled in later years.The fins are different on the 2 models.Ive never had the old one to compare all the differences but I have seen the boxes.
The pic on the right shows the Hummel fin that is readily available,the one we all know.
hum.jpg

Ok, thanks KBilly. Damnit! Got it pretty cheap so its not a big loss. Attached is the 1/15 Bandai Hummel I just bought also. You will notice it has a different box & to the one with the tan paint scheme most commonly seen. The kit pieces are actually grey. I will post pictures when I recieve it. Thanks for that link KBilly. I see your a Kiwi :thumbsup Thanks for your help guys I really appreciate it. I really want to get the measurements right on this build. I pretty much know where all the parts need to go with all the information Ive accumulated so the measurements are the most critical aspect. So Faustus, that means the same parts were used on the 5fter & the 32"?

Well had my first major f&*%k up this morning. I shaved some length off the Mandibles which after doing so just didn't look right. Took a couple of measurements & was definately distraught :unsure So back to the block & cut a couple of fresh bases. Back at the start. Who ever said "Welcome to the WTF was I thinking club!" about Falcon builders definately had it right.

Last edited:
So got stuck into cutting some strips for the side walls after that little incident. Have stuck in place for some test fitting until I go get some CA glue & clamps from Bunnings our one stop hardware shop. Starting to see some dimension which is making me want to go as hard as possible to make up for the lost time. I know don't rush or I'll be redoing something else...

Ok, thanks KBilly. Damnit! Got it pretty cheap so its not a big loss. Attached is the 1/15 Bandai Hummel I just bought also. You will notice it has a different box & to the one with the tan paint scheme most commonly seen. The kit pieces are actually grey. I will post pictures when I recieve it. Thanks for that link KBilly. I see your a Kiwi :thumbsup Thanks for your help guys I really appreciate it. I really want to get the measurements right on this build. I pretty much know where all the parts need to go with all the information Ive accumulated so the measurements are the most critical aspect. So Faustus, that means the same parts were used on the 5fter & the 32"?

Im not so sure about the 32 inch falcon.I know a lot about the 5 fter.I do know that the fins are different on the different Bandai models.Ive never seen the one youve purchased.I cant wait to see your kit!I have learned(the hard way) that the retooled parts are almost always te ones they used:cry
Kbilly-If you notice the fins on the more commonly seen Hummel have 2 ribs across the back,the older version doesnt.Im thinking there may be other differences as well.Thats why Im so excited to see Omes sprues.Hey Omes-is that the 70s kit?Ive seen another box for the 1/15 Hummel as well and it was from the 70s too. :confused

Im pretty sure theyre both 70's kits I bought. As they were both bought in 1980. I'll post pictures of all the sprues.This is rather exciteing as I have never seen that 1/15 box before either.

So ..., that means the same parts were used on the 5fter & the 32"?

I don't know... but I don't think so. They really don't look the same to me. People have stated in the past that the 32" fins were scratchbuilt. I remain unconvinced but would be keen to hear what others think.

I don't know... but I don't think so. They really don't look the same to me. People have stated in the past that the 32" fins were scratchbuilt. I remain unconvinced but would be keen to hear what others think.

On both models there doesnt seem to be a lot of scratchbuiding being done(besides the initial shapes).I would be very surprised to find that they scratched the fins.Remember-there were a lot of Hummels available in different sizes at that time,they wouldnt have needed to scratch them unless they had NO idea what kit they came from and I doubt that.But anythings possible I guess.
Im thinking its just something we havent seen yet,some old OOP kit that hasnt either been found or people are not commenting on.If you notice-on the 32" fins there are some dents that dont appear on the 5fter.i dont think they would have deliberately made that differnce if scratched
fin7.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back