From "THE BLACK HOLE": V.I.N.CENT and Maximillian on display at Disney Expo!

Beagle Bill

Sr Member
These guys are on display now at D23 Expo, can anyone please, please, PLEASE, get some really good pics?
3912172751_18d655807f_o.gif
:)
3912172761_25ec18ab32_o.gif
Especially the details on Max and an estimate of his actual height? This is the first time I've heard of the full sized Maximillian prop being on public display. If only they had Old B.O.B. on display too.

3912422813_a90367a2d3_o.jpg

Bill

Last edited:
These guys are on display now at D23 Expo, can anyone please, please, PLEASE, get some really good pics?
3912172751_18d655807f_o.gif
:)
3912172761_25ec18ab32_o.gif
Especially the details on Max and an estimate of his actual height? This is the first time I've heard of the full sized Maximillian prop being on public display. If only they had Old B.O.B. on display too.

3912422813_a90367a2d3_o.jpg

Bill

They won't let you take photos in the archive room. Not that it's impossible... just tricky...

Maximillian scared the crap out of me when I was a kid, having said that, I'd love to have a replica of him! :cool:lol

I heard rumours that Disney wants to do a remake of The Black Hole. Anyone know if this is true? Of couse this will probably call for a new design of Maximillian, but I hope they'd keep the same scary look for him. Better, less goofy variations of B.O.B. and V.I.N.CENT would be a plus.

As for a remake of the Black Hole, let me quote V.I.N.CENT:

"You can't modify perfection!"

They'd redesign all the charm and style out of the robots.:thumbsdown

This is the first time I've heard of the full sized Maximillian prop being on public display.

Max used to be on display at Disney MGM back about 12 years ago at the FX Show in the room that was your first indoor stop at that attraction, I took some photos back then, I'll see if I can find them.

Jim

Max used to be on display at Disney MGM back about 12 years ago at the FX Show in the room that was your first indoor stop at that attraction, I took some photos back then, I'll see if I can find them.

Jim

Thanks, Jim, that would be awesome! :) I've never seen any good pics of Max, other than a few shots of the smaller miniatures!

if i recall, he's around 6 -7 foot high

Will

I think you're right, Will, I read the miniature was 19" tall, at 1/4 scale that would make the full sized Max about 6'4", not counting the extra foot in height he would gain from hovering. To this day I still think he was one of the more evil looking, terrifiying robots of all time! I would love to see The Black Hole revisited somehow, maybe not a remake so much as a continuation, like the new Tron movie. The Cygnus was such a beautiful design, like a giant, gothic, haunted cathedral in space. Peter Ellenshaw's design was genius. V.I.N.CENT. and Old B.O.B. were kinda cartoony, but I still love them. The rest on the movie was so dark, and intense, you kinda need Vinny and Bob to keep from totally freaking out when you're 11 years old like I was the first time I saw it. Disney's first PG film, and you see Norman Bates get disemboweled by a giant robot.:eek Pretty intense for Disney. This led to Disney creating Touchstone for their more intense, non-kid friendly movies.

Last edited:
I too would love to see any photos of the robots from this Expo, shame they are not allowing photography.

However, if any shutters should happen to go off accidentally................! :love

Andy

Still looking through photos here at the house, I know I have more but here's a couple I found so far.

These were taken at Disney MGM about 12 years ago. The Palomino was a very large model and was on display in an area you where taken to after the backlot tour. Note the cables running out of Max's leg.

max1.jpg

max2.jpg

palomino.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back