Where can i buy electric igniters for squibs.

Reaper57

i need to simulate bullet shots into a wood wall, where can i buy the electric matches to set off the charges.
john :cool

Closest you'll probably get is model rocket engine igniters from Aerotech or Estes unless you get the pyrotech license. Most likely they wont perform well enough to ignite the squib charges quick enough/consistenly to get the effect you want if it's all being filmed live action... May be able to pull it off if you are compositing the shot & can edit for any miss-timed bullet holes.

With a big enough battery (12 volt latern works well) the model rocket igniters will go off in... well... pretty much the instant you complete the connection. What you could do, is tie all the grounds together to the negative terminal, then run the positives to a nailboard so that you can hit each charge with the positive to set them off in any order you like. Kinda like an explosive xylophone. :lol

They used one at the end of Volcano if you need referance.

X-Mas tree lights, carefully break away the glass part leaving the filament intact... Some experimenting with voltage levels and you can get them to glow at just the right rate/time to ignite a charge... A little flash powder wrapped in duct tape with the igniter inside and you should be good to go, if you can't source a more 'proper' charge... You get get the flash powder out of the over the counter Mxx firecrackers easy enough...

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to find flash powder at most magic shops as well.

The question is, are you dead set on an explosive solution, or have you considered compressed air to blow out the bullet hits?

Closest you'll probably get is model rocket engine igniters from Aerotech or Estes unless you get the pyrotech license. Most likely they wont perform well enough to ignite the squib charges quick enough/consistenly to get the effect you want if it's all being filmed live action... May be able to pull it off if you are compositing the shot & can edit for any miss-timed bullet holes.

I remember doing that years ago. Take a look here for a safe alternative.
http://www.indymogul.com/backyardfx/episode/BFX_20070611

Be Safe

thanks guys ,
i thought of the real bullets idea but the director and the actor behind the wall rejected it. :lol
compressed air is a thought also.
i have used the rocket igniters before in the packs with the engines.
does anyone know where i can buy them without the engines.
john :cool

You know that you´ll have to set the squibs against a hard surface to direct the outburst of material, right ? Especially if you use them with a pack of ketchup under a shirt, otherwise it´s a bit painful for the actor :lol The wall won´t mind, though, I guess ;)

You can buy them seperatly at most hobby stores. The local hobby lobby has packages of just the igniters. If they have them, I'd imagine any self respecting hobby shop would too.

Depending on your needs, you can also get special paintball shells that are filled with fullers earth to simulate dust hits. They also make spark hits for metal.

You can also buy empty paintballs if you need to do a specific color of dust.

Google should give you some good results.

This is a safe alternative to pyrotechnics that also gives high-quality results.

Advantages:
- No long setup time between takes (key to keeping a shoot on schedule)
- Does not destroy surfaces or require any surface prep
- With an accurate shooter you can put shots exactly where you want them, for repeatable results
- Not nearly as expensive as charges + fuses + detonator (especially when you factor in multiple takes)
- Safer than pyrotechnics

Keep in mind that you still want to keep both cast and crew clear of stray paintballs. Safety first, no matter what.

Last edited:
Agreed, use real bullets...

Provided you have a safe backstop, why not simply film the bullet impacts on the wall, unless there are supposed to be actors in the same scene and in firing range...

Agreed, use real bullets...

Provided you have a safe backstop, why not simply film the bullet impacts on the wall, unless there are supposed to be actors in the same scene and in firing range...

Real bullets on a set are not a good idea. They create lots of logistical problems, slow production down, require a lot of legal consideration, etc.

1. Long safety meetings to insure all crew and cast are aware of the live weapon and know to stay away from it. Keeping it under lock and key and supervised by a trained and licensed expert at all times.
  2. Local laws and regulations may prohibit the use of a live weapon on set, or make it extremely expensive.
  3. Not usually a practical option in many locations (indoors, near other buildings, near a road, etc.)
  4. Damages or destroys surfaces when struck, creating continuity problems and forcing long resets between takes.
  5. When shooting at surfaces, you can get ricochets that put cast and crew in danger.
  6. Bullets are really not practical unless what you need is footage of something being physically torn apart, and charges will not work.
Besides, bullets are designed to deliver a lot of energy to a target... most special effects shots just need a dust hit, and all the excess energy that makes bullets dangerous is not required for the desired effect.

I don't mean to sound like I am down on guns. I used to be an avid shooter when I was not living in a major city. Real guns just don't belong on set. Even blank shooting guns are heavily modified to be "safe" for use on set, and those still add a great deal of complication to any shoot.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back