Scratchbuilt 1/2222 Star Destroyer Avenger

Re: Scratchbuilt Star Destroyer 1/2222 scale

Here are some updated pics, the first two are of the face of the tower with some additional details added,

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

Here's the start of the Secondary Engine that I had to rebuild. I found out that a mixing/medicine cup was used for the ANH Star Destroyer, so I found one and scaled it down with the aide of scale master and the shroud calculater programs, I`m not sure what was used for the Avenger, but I think this would do for me. If anyone knows what the actual part was, I`ld be curious to find out.
IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

I transferred the calculations to some styrene, and with the aide of a compass and protractor, I drew out the pattern,
IMG_1836.jpg

Placing an Xacto knife in the protractor, I cut along the lines
IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

I found a hole punch that was the perfect size for the bottom of the cup
IMG_1841.jpg

I shaped and glued the pieces together, I had to do a little trimming on the shroud until I have what you see here
IMG_1842.jpg

I`m happy with the results, very close to the actual cup

A comparrison pic of the main engine with the secondary,
IMG_1843.jpg

I`ll need to sand the top flat, I`ll use the rotary tool with the drill press stand, I don`t want to grind down my fingers so I glued the cup to a piece of styrene,
IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

Slice it off, and sand it down with a fine grit paper
IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1854.jpg

There, I have the hard part done, now to start detailing it
IMG_1855.jpg

Thanks for following along

This is one SWEEEET build!

I admire anyone Crazy...err Brave enough to take onscratch building a Star Destoyer

I also love seeing detailed accounts of the construction of the "nuts & bolts"
Thanks for sharing. :cool

Just caught up with this thread dude, mind-blowingly detailed work, it looks fantastic, your attention to the minutest of details is to be commended, you will have an awesome SD when completed, will be watching this thread that's for sure!. Great pics to mate!.
Stu:love

Thanks Eagle1!

Here's the end result of the Secondary Engine, some of the tools that I used. What was particularly helpful when I did the square details around the inner rod ( where the LED will go) was the Richard's razor blade holder. This can be found at your local home improvent store in the wall prep and paint section.
IMG_1879.jpg

I used this tool for the square details. With the aide of a straight edge and a square, I glued the pieces to a flat piece of styrene and chopped the edges straight, and also at a 45 degree angle at the front. Then I took a file to a few, using my reference image to determine where the notches on five of them should be. I sliced them off the styrene, repositioned and reglued them two more times and chopped some off along the edges to give me a uniform part, while fitting them on the engine.
IMG_1866.jpg

I added the rest of the details and here's the final images of the engine. I'll make a mold of this part and cast what I need.
IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

Once the casted pieces are made, I'll drill a hole in the front center, turn it around and redrill another wider hole halfway through so an LED will fit snuggly.

Wow!!
Amazing work! I wish I had that kind of patience and skill.....how long do you think this will take you?

I've done a little work over the weekend, here's three more pics with some more detail added to the Tower. I've been concentrating on the port side of the face. I'm starting to take the approach, that this build is a marathon with no finish line.

IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

Here's three pics with the work that I've done since the last update. I did some work on three other builds other than the ISD. I managed to make a mold for the secondary engines and poured four casts. I applied some epoxy putty to the few bubbles that are visible.
IMG_1940.jpg

Here they are in the standard configuration
IMG_1938.jpg

Some more additional detail to the tower
IMG_1941.jpg

Thanks for following along

Last edited:

Here's some pics of the light test of the main and secondary engines, I dropped these on an LED clip light, but later on I'll have an Ultra Bright LED in them.

The main engines
IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

The secondary engine. A lot of light pollution is showing through. I've read in SAG, that when the boys at ILM created the Starfield, they sprayed the backside with silver paint to make the sheet opaque. What I'll do with the secondaries is prime, a coat of silver on the inside and the basecoat on the outside.
IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

Any opinions, suggestions, comments, insults or threats would be appreciated.......

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back