Scratchbuilt 1/2222 Star Destroyer Avenger

Re: Scratchbuilt Star Destroyer 1/2222

The 2 parts I have with red around them look like they may come from the Hasegawa Leopold, thought they look cut up.

The 2 parts I have with red around them look like they may come from the Hasegawa Leopold, thought they look cut up.

You're right :)

The other parts come from the Revell Midway, Esci Demag, Tamiya Junyo (or Tahio, always confusing them :)), Morser Karl, Airfix Bismark, Tamiya Hood, Tamiya Marder 1A2, 1/20 Tamiya P34, Tamiya Scharnhrost, I hope this helps.

If ever the phrase "labour of love" were apt for a project, then surely this is it.
The level of talent involved is staggering. I hope you realise just how much joy you're giving people like me in sharing this build. I'll never, ever be able to put something like this together but at least I can enjoy such a project vicariously.

Thanks NikonD80. I really believe that anyone is capable of doing this, if a person can glue two pieces of plastic together, then something like this can be done. Thank you again for following along:$

I'm very new to this forum and following builds like this. I am amazed and in awe. :eek I'm also wondering, when you ask for a greeblie to be identified, I am assuming that you are trying to determine if that part was actually from a "commercial" model. Are you then hunting down that model just to get that part, or are you using pics of those models to create the piece out of the styrene you already have?

Thanks, and I look forward to continuing to drool over your results!

MM

Usually when I ask for a kitpart to be ID'd, I don't have very good reference showing that item. When I discover what kit that part comes from, I can search for the scan on the net or look in some of the kits that I have if I missed it in my initial search.

If I know what the part looks like, it just makes it easier to replicate a downsized version of it out of styrene.

I hope this answers your question MM.

Usually when I ask for a kitpart to be ID'd, I don't have very good reference showing that item. When I discover what kit that part comes from, I can search for the scan on the net or look in some of the kits that I have if I missed it in my initial search.

If I know what the part looks like, it just makes it easier to replicate a downsized version of it out of styrene.

I hope this answers your question MM.

It does indeed! I was envisioning a whole room of commercial models being used simply as donor parts, and boggling at how much money would need to be invested to have a wide enough array to make it feasible for you to pull out a part once identified! As it is, the ability you and the other members have for saying "Oh, that part came from XXX model" is mind boggling enough. :eek

Thanks for the quick response!

MM

Scratchy,
Have you found the secret to trimming the FO for the side trenches ?

Over the weekend I will be installing the FO to the side trenches for the forward part of my build and it looks like neither a #10 blade nor a razor blade will do the job.

Thanks for the help in advance.

BTW, your SD is a work of art.

Dave

Scratchy,
Have you found the secret to trimming the FO for the side trenches ?

Over the weekend I will be installing the FO to the side trenches for the forward part of my build and it looks like neither a #10 blade nor a razor blade will do the job.

Thanks for the help in advance.

BTW, your SD is a work of art.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I already planned for this last year. I ordered this tool from Micromark;

Tweezer Sprue Cutter, Despruing Tweezer

I received two in the mail, and I tried them on fiber optic and they work awesome. The best part about the performance is that you can get into tight spots, right up against flat surfaces, and the cut gave me a brighter shine of light through the fiber optic than a pair of Zona snips or a razor blade.

Now, I don't know how your build is constructed, but I'll be able to unscrew the top of my hull and trim the fiberoptic with no problems of confined spaces like the equator trench.

I hope this helps,

scratchy

Thanks for the info mate.
I just ordered 2 pairs along with a panavise.
Should have planned the tools I needed in advance.

Keep up the excellent work.

Dave

I almost have this area mapped out, but I need another ID on these three parts, I couldn't even find a scan of the Revell Midway anywhere.

I have the parts highlight pink, green, and blue. I've seen the blue part somewhere, but I just can't place which kit it came from.

DECK2.jpg

Hey Jay, the pink and blue parts are int he list I posted earlier, the pink is from the Airfix Bismark and the blue is either from the Taiho or Junyo kit. I havent found the other part yet :(

Last edited:

After a nice break from the build, I finally got around to adding some detail to the second level from the top. I had to rebuild my "Chop-it", it's actually giving me a nicer cut than when I originally purchased it. I can now cut some really fine pieces of styrene.

supstructure22.jpg

supstructure23.jpg

No bull, no lie, no exaggeration when I say that is one of the most incredible things I have ever seen. How many sharp intakes of breath can a person take as they scroll through the pictures, before they HAVE to breathe out!?

You are a GENIUS at this and I would sell my soul just to spend a day watching you work.
Unbelievable....

Thanks for the kind words ATLANTHIA and Randy13. I really don't consider myself a "genius" while working on my build. However the phrase "What were you thinking" crossed my mind a few times :lol

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back