Scratchbuilt 1/2222 Star Destroyer Avenger

Re: Scratchbuilt Star Destroyer 1/2222 scale

Very fine work mate, any progress is still progress & the SD is looking sharp dude, love it!.
Stu

Looking so good S!

Im still amazed by your patience... You are like Gandhi or something!:lol

Very fine work mate, any progress is still progress & the SD is looking sharp dude, love it!.
Stu

Thanks Stu, a little bit at a time, eventually it'll get there. However, when I look at it from a distance, all that's left is the details, lighting and then the finishing and paint. Sure there's a lot more than that, but I like to keep optimistic:lol

Looking so good S!

Im still amazed by your patience... You are like Gandhi or something!:lol

Each section I work on, is like a new build, and it just keeps me more interested. Then again, whenever I finish one area, I'm so sick of that finished spot and I'm eager to work on an area that's new and hasn't been touched yet. I'm enjoying the port side and starboard side of the neck, especially the starboard side where the boys at ILM didn't throw a lot of detail on. It just makes that area go by faster:thumbsup

I added a little more detailing since the last post, the sides are going by a little bit faster than the rest of the areas on the command tower and neck. Nothing like cutting up some larger pieces and gluing them on, as opposed to making little intricate pieces.
spine15.jpg

spine16.jpg

spine17.jpg

Here's some work on the grates on the bottom of the neck. I scribed a couple pieces of styrene before laminating it to another piece. Then I followed up with cutting out the spaces inbetween, then adding some .005" styrene strip to the edges
spine18.jpg

spine19.jpg

The finished pieces glued to their respective spots
spine20.jpg

spine21.jpg

Last edited:

I love your updates and am looking forward to more of your fantastic Star Destroyer.
The details are incredible!

Man what a amazing job, keep up the good work, it looks terrific.

Thanks CPD!

I love your updates and am looking forward to more of your fantastic Star Destroyer.
The details are incredible!

Thank you for the kind words MwNN

I added some detail along the port side, figure I'ld get the detailed side out of the way first as opposed to the starboard side.
spine22.jpg

Here's a size reference with a "tool" that I'm sure everyone has handy
spine23.jpg

The finished pieces glued to their respective spots
spine24.jpg

spine25.jpg

spine26.jpg

Hope you like the pics

Great work!!! Really, the detail you have crammed into this model at the scale its being done is remarkable. It hurts my eyes just to look at the damn complexity of the structures you have put into it. Still one of my favorite builds to watch here along with Ph's painstakingly accurate Death Star and Mr Ts brilliant studio scale Star destroyer ,not to mention all the other great stuff.
Will you be adding the worlds tinest Millenium Falcon at any point?

Great work!!! Really, the detail you have crammed into this model at the scale its being done is remarkable. It hurts my eyes just to look at the damn complexity of the structures you have put into it. Still one of my favorite builds to watch here along with Ph's painstakingly accurate Death Star and Mr Ts brilliant studio scale Star destroyer ,not to mention all the other great stuff.
Will you be adding the worlds tinest Millenium Falcon at any point?

Thanks CutThumb. Those tiny structures really can get daunting at times. I will most likely add a small Falcon later on, the Star Destroyer just wouldn't be complete without it.

Here is the last of the pics of the Port side of the neck, I was just think how much fun I'm going to have sanding all these areas once the initial build is done.
spine27.jpg

spine28.jpg

spine29.jpg

yeah, maybe your right Trekman.

Whenever I make some really delicate parts, I usually glue them to a small sheet of glass. In this first pic, I'm turning some stretched sprue on my dremel, just sanding down the piece to give me a diffinate edge. I ran out of small guns on some old kits, so I had to scratch some up. In the following images, you'll see how I go about building some detail pieces. I also made a couple more for the starboard side. After the parts are dry, I just take a razor blade and "slice" the piece off the glass.

spine30.jpg

Here's the starboard side with the parts I made and some more parts.

spine31.jpg

spine32.jpg

Nicely done, great that you show how it's done, I've learned something today!!:thumbsup

I'm always amazed when I look at the detail of this build per the scale. Pour some silicone on it. This thing would make a great desk model.

Thanks sqbiedoo and Amish Trooper!

I finished the starboard side, next I'll do the small front piece.....

spine33.jpg

This is just amazing work Scratchy. Wonderful job!!!:thumbsup

Thanks Randy13, I'm happy to hear that you like it:thumbsup

The front piece went by fast. I had to rebuild the Flak carriage that was glued to the front of the neck. The new one is better. I still have to add four pieces of bent plastic rod, but I can't do that until the area that's just in front is detailed. You won't be able to see these pieces in any of the images on the internet, but they are visible in Sculpting a Galaxy, they more than likely broke off over the years.

With the tower and the neck completed, I'll start on the superstructure, the top should be a nice break.

spine34.jpg

I've read the entire thread and enjoyed every minute. This is simply stunning work - and I mean 'stunning' in the literal sense: I stared slack-jawed at each update mute with admiration. You are in a league of your own.
Thank you for sharing this.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back