Time Bandits

micdavis

Master Member
TIME BANDITS MAP WEATHERING TUTORIAL

by Jay Pennington (Treadwell)

weatheredfull.jpg

note:
Some aspects of this tutorial apply specifically to v1 and v2 kapow maps, as they were printed on a heavy canvas stock. The v3 kapow map, and subsequent runs by others, were printed on different material and thus some of the following instructions might not apply.

Materials:

scissors
hobby or carpet knife
yardstick
sandpaper (both fine and medium/heavy grade)
dirt (must be dry)
charcoal (anything from art supply grade on down to BBQ briquettes)
fireplace/BBQ grill ash or any similar material at hand
rubber bands

First, trim the white border, using a hobby or carpet knife and a yardstick to keep the cuts straight. Be sure to lay the map on a flat, hard surface, and take precautions if you don't want that surface scratched by the blade. If you have a steady hand, a pair of sharp scissors would do as well. Either way, take your time.

Next, decide on which version of the map you want to emulate. Not surprisingly, several different props were used during the course of the film, and each has its differences. I've noted three:

Version 1: the righthand border with the clockfaces is missing, as seen in this famous pic:

Time20Bandits20holding20map20large.jpg

This is the version also seen spread out on the table in the evil fortress:

timebanditsmap13.jpg

timebanditsmap14.jpg

Version 2: the border is missing here as well, but there's an extra crease running horizontally (but skewed) across the map, as if it had been folded once at an odd angle, as seen in this pic after it had been refolded properly (look along the lefthand edge, starting at his right thumb):

TimeBandit2.jpg

Version 3: the extra crease is gone again on this version but the righthand border finally makes its appearance just before the end credits as the map is rolled up by the Supreme Being:

timebanditsmap20.jpg

micdavis wanted to retain the border (v.3) in the map I weathered for him but I included v.2's extra crease anyway. Obviously, you can mix and match as well.

Here's a diagram of the creases and cut (if you so choose) you'll be making:

foldtemplate.jpg

It helps to practice first on a smaller scale using a printout of this image.

Step 0: the yellow dotted line is where you should trim the map if you want to emulate this (lack of) detail for v.1 or v.2.

Crease 1: For v.2 only, although I highly recommend this additional, wacky fold. It really adds character. Lay the map flat on the floor, line up your yardstick right along the imaginary line, and press firmly with one hand so it won't move. Reach beneath the map with the other hand and push up against the corner of the yardstick, where it rests on the surface. You're not flipping the map over on itself yet, you're just sorta making an 'L' shape. If you flipped the top half over at this point, it'll just make a U-shaped curve around the yardstick and you won't be able to control the location of the crease within that curve. Instead, continue along the bottom corner of the yardstick until you have a faint crease--it's subtle but it's enough to guide the next step.

Now to break that crease in. Put aside the yardstick. Now you can flip the map over upon itself. The faint crease already there will allow you to make the fold precisely. Pinch it, press it, lean on it, make that crease yell for mercy.

But the fold is backwards! The side with the printing on it is in the inside! That's okay, open it back up and fold it the other way now it'll fold in the right place with ease. At this point you can use sandpaper to scuff away the printing along the fold, but more on that later.

The fold now looks like this:

crease1.jpg

(mind you, these pics were taken after I'd already finshed with all the folds and weathering)

Flatten the map out again for the next crease.

Crease 2: Now for the straight horizontal fold. Use the yardstick and wrong-way-first procedure again. Note that you should not simply line up the corners and make the fold in the natural halfway point. To match the prop you need to follow the indicated line and let the outer edges fall where they may.

crease2.jpg

Note that in the film, the first fold one makes when folding up the pre-creased map is not this horizontal one. This step was simply to establish the crease. So flatten the puppy out again!

Crease 3: Now we start making the folds in their proper order. This time we're making a vertical crease. You know the drill by now. However, pay attention to the location--again, it is not a symmetrical fold. In fact, none of them are!

Here's what you end up with:

crease3.jpg

Note that if the righthand border had been removed, this fold actually would be fairly symmetrical.

This time, do not flatten the map back out. Proceed:

Crease 4: Since you're folding two layers now, it might help to just fold the top layer around the edge of the yardstick. Once that crease is established, it's easy to make the second layer follow suit.

You now have this:

crease4.jpg

Crease 5: This one's easy because you've already established the crease. Granted, part of it is used to folding the other way but you'll soon fix that. Just fold it over until it looks like this:

crease5.jpg

foldedcompare.jpg

It's impossible to get everything lined up like in the movie because the locations of some of the details of this spectacular replica do not correspond 100% to the film prop, and, as kapow pointed out, all the filmused props had discrepancies of their own. But it took figuring out the creases for me to even notice. It's that close.

Weathering:

Now the fun part! There are a number of ways one can go about this, but I'm just going to describe what I did. But whatever you do, do NOT let liquid or even moisture anywhere near it!! A fixative was applied to the ink but it isn't enough to protect it from a coffee/tea solution or the like. Even sweaty fingers will lift the ink right off. Beware! (The liquid caution applies to kapow v1 and v2 maps in particular.)

Further, baking isn't the answer either. For one thing, that's an 'ancient parchment' browning technique, and the map isn't really meant to look ancient, just worn. Baking will just make it brittle and add a sickly yellow-brown tint that isn't accurate. My baked scrap sample simply looked...baked. Not old or worn. Just cooked all to hell. Like you have an oven that big anyhow! Pastel chalk was mentioned, and might be worth trying, although I wonder if that would rub off too easily. But I didn't try that so I dunno.

What I did:

If you haven't already, fold the map back and forth along every crease line so that they're nice and broken in. Each fold should be fairly sharp, not a bend. The canvas is durable, so you won't break your map.

Now you'll need sandpaper, a rougher grade. Fold the map along each crease in turn and sand off the ink along the folds. You might want to use the hobby knife to make small cuts in some of the creases as well, where they reach an edge or where crossing creases create a point.

Flatten the map again. With fine-grade sandpaper, start rubbing the map down. You want to lose the sheen off the coating, and to remove the ink itself from the high points of the canvas' weave. The sandpaper mustn't be so rough you can see chunks of abrasives on it. That will scratch the map. It's gotta be the kind of stuff you'd use on, say, a resin kit. Go easy until you get a feel for the pressure needed for the desired results. Keep going over the map until it's nice and dull.

When you've gotten the desired overall look, fold up the map back up. Give the exposed areas some extra sanding. If this is how the map was most often carried, then these two squares would suffer more wear. You don't want to destroy the image but you do want the square seen in the pic to look more worn than the others when the map is unfolded.

Take care to weather the other bits of map exposed by the edge of the folds, so that they also exhibit the 'weathered when folded' look when unfolded.
weatherline.jpg

You don't want to apply this extra bit of sanding under that flap, for instance, but you do want to do so beyond where the flap ends.

The next step is easiest if you have a fireplace or barbeque grill that's been used recently. If you don't, it might be a good excuse to grill up some burgers! (Beware of the grease residue, though...you don't want that on the map). However you get it, you'll need some charcoal (fire/grill leftovers, art supply store grade, or even BBQ briquettes). Crumple some into a powdery pile. It doesn't have to be super fine, chunky is okay. Pick some up with your fingers (make sure they're dry!) and start rubbing it into the surface of the map. If you find you're overdoing it, you can remove excess with the palm of your hand.

Next you want ash, again from the fireplace or grill. Barring that, perhaps here is where those pastels could come into play. Rub it in using the same technique.

With both applications, what you're doing is getting it into the nooks and crannies, and especially the bits of canvas exposed by the sanding. If you think you're covering the artwork too much, just wipe it off with your hand or a dry rag--the stuff will remain behind in the spots you want it to.

Remember to fold it up and apply extra material to the exposed areas like you did in the last step of the sanding.

As a final touch, I took the map to my outdoor garage that has a dirt floor. It was very dry, so I buried the map. That's right! I shook off all excess, of course, but nothin' says 'dirty' like real dirt.

Depending on how you plan to display your map, you might want to weather the back of it. Parts of the back do show when it's folded, for instance. This is one thing I don't think I did that well, but what I did was rather uneven, which I suppose could result from it being plopped down on various unsavory surfaces in the movie. I actually did use moisture here, being careful not to let it splatter on the other side. I spritzed on my coffee/tea/soot mixture I used on my Grail diary and smeared it around with a cloth. I did this before the burial, so I got some nice patterns of stuck-on dirt. However, next time I think I'll sand the back down just like the front and then just go over it with a medium-brown stick of chalk.

Now to weather the edges. Using the knife, make a few tiny cuts, only as deep as the thickness of one strand of the canvas. Carefully pull at one end of each cut strand and rip them partway off, so that you have a few thin fringes. You might want to add some small thum-sized dings and dents and similar creases along the edges as well.

Final, but optional step: the map is rolled up at various points in the film. If you plan on having the weathered map framed or mounted, you probably want to skip this step as it'll just make things difficult for you. But if you want, fold up the map as before and then from the end with the fold (not the end with exposed map edges), roll the sucker up as tight as you can so that the map edges are on the outside. Keep it tight with rubber bands for as long as it takes to make it stay that way on its own. But consider the difficulty in flattening it out again. The canvas is thicker than the screenused fabric seems to be so it's going to have more of a memory.

timebanditsmap12.jpg

rolled3.jpg

detail.jpg

mapcompare.jpg

There are many more screencaps and pics of the map I weathered here:
http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=treadwell&album_id=124870

And that's how you muck up a work of art! (Sorry, kapow!)

After I made my Time Bandits map, I wanted to display a replica Polaroid next to it that mimics the one Kevin shot during the film. I started with a screencap of the scene, but the angle and poses didn't really match what we see later in the film when Kevin is flipping through the Polaroids. As it turns out, I had a better pic sitting on my bookshelf. The published screenplay has a great shot of the gang on the back cover. It's not exact, but it was a better starting point. The main problem was that the group had been cut out of their background. So I grabbed the background from the screencap and combined the two. It's far from perfect, but when printed out at Polaroid size, it looks very good.

I don't have any Polaroids for size comparison. So simply scale it to whatever size a Polaroid should be. Anyway, here it is.

TB_Polaroid_v3.jpg

Last edited:
Time Bandits Map

Hi, a friend of mine has asked for this map. On the search function i found some weathering threads, but no actual digital file for the map. Does anyone have one?

Many thanks!

Re: Time Bandits Map

I don't recall ever seeing any free digital files of the Time Bandits map floating around here anywhere, but our very own jheilman makes and sells one of the most detailed, accurate versions I've ever seen. I've got one framed hanging up in my living room and it's truly a work of art.
View attachment 28021
View attachment 28022

Last edited:
I've just received a jheilman map (beautiful, thanks man, can't recommend this enough!) and am starting to weather it.

Looking at both the 'polaroid' shots above, it looks to me like the "wonky" crease actually starts at the bottom of the fifth clock in the left-hand border, rather than at the top of clock 7 per Jay's diagram.

It then carries on straight through the red planet/symbol at the ten o'clock position in the main ring, and exits somewhere near the bottom of clock 8 in the right-hand border. Note this may only apply to jheilman's map, earlier maps may have different proportions. Thoughts? Am I crazy?

Also, does it look to anyone else like there's a triangular misfold at the middle of the left and right sides?

Edit - pic attached to show what I'm on about. :)

Last edited:
PS I think the tutorial's great - thanks Jay and Mic. One essential step was missing, though; this one. :lol

Oh PPS; I decided I wanted those misfold creases on the sides; they're in the centre too. Doing it like this takes care of all of them in one go:

time-bandits-01010413.jpg-67204d1315581057

Albeit a little easier still to just do them separately by hand; you can get them a bit more accurate if tackled individually. I got the edges nice and sharp by biting them. :lol

I sanded it a fair bit too. More than is SA really in parts, but I'm going to dirty those areas more heavily so I want the grot to stick; it'll take the white down a lot. Tomorrow morning I'm getting out the coffee, the high-tannin garden mulch, the shotgun and the chainsaw, and getting a bit more serious about this weathering business. :lol Anyway, here's the result of this lot:

time-bandits-01010421.jpg-67205d1315581203

Last edited:
One more bit, in case anyone cares (gawd, I'm always late to the party). The main horizontal fold IS actually dead along the middle; it runs through the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions as seen in jheilman's pic above.

To get the same asymmetrical look shown in Jay's pics under Step 5 above, you just make the fold down the middle, but when folding the map you do the final fold sloppily. It works the same as repositioning the fold "formally" but matches the screencaps better when unfolded. :)

Here's where I'm at after Round 1 of coffee treatment. I've been keeping some date-expired, really disgusting cheapie instant coffee just for this job. :)

time-bandits-01010435.jpg-67297d1315625740

NWERKE I was wondering can you or anyone on here show us a quick mini tutorial on how to do the misfolds that are on the left and right sides of the map. Just a little more detail would be great. Thanks!!

Greetings.

I am a newbie to the RPF - joined today. I just received my jheilman map in the mail today - I had a bookmark for this map eating a hole in my browser for the last year or so and recently found the Etsy shop. BTW, the map looks amazing! I was curious as to how to properly weather it before framing, and found this great thread and forum. I will post my results when I'm done.

Looking forward to learning and contributing.

Thanks,

ToddPM

I wanted to thank everybody for this thread. I'm finally getting around to weathering my map and you all are definitely better than me at this.

Beyond that, I have have a comment and a question. The comment is that micdavis is 100% correct when he says you shouldn't get moisture near the map. I made the mistake of wiping some moisture on the BACK of the map and, because it's canvas, it soaked through and I ended up smearing some of the ink on the map :(

But whatever you do, do NOT let liquid or even moisture anywhere near it!!

My question is related. how did you all get the back of the map to look brown and not just like white canvas? It's clear that I can't use anything wet, even on the back, but the starkness of the back of the map makes the folded-up version look less real.

Here's where I'm at after Round 1 of coffee treatment. I've been keeping some date-expired, really disgusting cheapie instant coffee just for this job

Hey Nwerke, I guess I should have actually addressed my question to you, since you have done some coffee aging of your map. Could I ask for some more details on how you did this? Yours looks great.
Thanks

I guess it depends on who's map you have. I use liquid on the back of my maps all the time with no problem. I get a bowl of instant coffee crystals, a bowl of water and an old, beat-up rag. Dab in water, then in coffee and mix it around till I get the tone I like then I wipe down the back of the map in sections. Once the back is damp, I also sprinkle a few crystals on it and let the moisture dissolve them into dark spots. These too can be scrubbed to spread or lighten them.

I never soak the back. Then you may get bleed-through. On the front I use far less water and never scrub. I get the right tone on the rag and repeatedly dab it on. Takes several applications to build up tone. I also mix in graphite powder to vary the tone. Pastel powders would also work.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back