Is it illegal to print one sided money?

But why the double standard, our current Govt. is printing money that is worthless on a daily basis!!! Why do they get to make fake cash and we can't??? LOL.

Here's my fake money
cashmoney001.jpg

cashmoney002.jpg

The 5 is a Movie prop bill of unkown origin
the Million is a flier handed out by a church . It has words written around the border on the back.

Having worked with the Secret Service years ago I can tell you that they take the topic VERY seriously.

Reproducing U.S. currency in any form requires written authorization from the U.S. Treasury Dept.

The main difference in what you have done (and shown) and the 'motion picture prop sample' is that the MPPS version does not say anywhere on it "United States" etc. It merely represents a printed currency. The prop money could be printed by the boat load and they could do with it as they please without the Treasury Dept approval.

You run into trouble when you reproduce any part or element of the actual U.S. currency via mechanical means. So you can draw or paint any of those parts (or in whole) one at a time and sell them as art but you may not copy an original bill at all for any purpose without permission.

When you see the dollar bills at Christmas time with Santa's face in the center, those are approved by the Treasury and were printed by them.

Anything else with official stuff on it is a no no.

Hope that clears things up.

Lonnie
Tk570

A while ago, I came across some papercraft models of "stacks of money", to which they had $100 US dollars in a stack, and a couple of other countries higher denominations. I didn't download them, but i thought about how useful it would be for a student film (since I'm attending Full Sail University, it would make sense), but I never would download and print it out unless I really needed it for a student work (even then, I probably wouldn't).

It'd be easier to just scratch-design currency and not base it only any current currency note in the U.S. or European country. Just my opinion.

Nothing like telling a guy to delete his post ASAP....But quoting him each time. :lol

Since NMR choose to edit his post I have edited mine as well.:thumbsup Anyone else who has quoted him should do the same. I would remove the whole thread if it were up to me.

Chris

Somebody posted pics of the money they used in Doctor Who. It had the Doctor's face on it and said something to the effect of "This is valid for the exchange of 1 satsuma" or something like that.

As was posted before, a simple google search would turn up any amount of pictures of real money.

I have to question why movies need to even reproduce anything beyond a green piece of paper with a darker green border box and the number in the corner. Anything else is WAY too small to see on screen. In face... you probably don't even need the numbers unless you're doing a close-up.

The BEST way, however, to display "prop" money is to just get REAL money! =P

I remember making fake money in art class back in high school. They had our faces on them and read JA Fair in place of USA.

Even our Rent-a-cops had some made for themself.

My daughter did a little poem and presentation at her school which required her to flash some cash. My wife gave her some of the bills out of her OPERATION game to use.

Watching her paractice her poem in our living room, my prop nerdhood became offended by the sight. I got the file of one side of the $100 bill from a good friend, printed up about 20 of them, flipped one half of the stack over, and wrapped them with a paper band from the bank.

It looked pretty good. I even shaded the white blank sides with a green pencil so there wouldn't be a tell tale flash of white if she "riffed" the bills.

I suppose that there was some small chance that a Secret Service man who looked like one of the Agents from The Matrix might have shown up at my door, demanding to know where a certain 7 year-old had procured this dangerous stack of one-sided, non-watermarked, non-stripped $100 bills printed on copier paper rather than high rag fiber content money paper.

Screw it. I'll take my chances with a jury trial by my peers and the obvious lack of criminal intent. I'll enjoy my fifteen minutes of fame on 60 Minutes or 48 Hours or Hard Copy and I'll be sure to name you RPF *****es as a bad influence and the main contributing factor that drove me over the edge. :wacko

Guys... there comes a point in life where you gotta throw caution to the winds and just start living life, you know?

J.

Last edited by a moderator:
*watches secret service people break down your door*

:lol :p ;)

I just can't see the "danger" of printing out edited bills. If they say they're not legal tender, etc. Then they're stating that they're not. That should, logicaly be enough, as they're presenting that they are not to be used as legal bills.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back