Is it illegal to print one sided money?

:lol

Well, if it's just for you, I'd say .. print them up, and then smash the printer in a million pieces, dump at a land fill, trash the rest of the evidence, and keep the bill(s) in a permanently sealed acrylic display case :lol Let them prove you did it. The only downside is, if your house gets burglarized and they break them open and try to spend them and get caught, they''ll point the finger at you and admit that they burned you to get out of a federal counterfeit wrap :lol

-Chris

Ahh, now let me get this straight. They'd actually have to prove their guilt of burglary before they could prove their innocence of counterfeit. Interesting :lol

If you scan a real bill and print it real size it's illegal, one sided or two sided doesn't matter...

If you scan a real bill and make a TON of changes that totally distinguishes it from real currency it might not be illegal...

Scanning in a real bill and putting not legal tender on it in small writing without any other noticible changes is also illegal...

Best bet don't scan real money and print it, unless you totally fubar it's looks...

Best bet get some movie money (Ebay search for 'prop money' or find one of the many fake money print outs online if you want to be legit...

What you think might be obvious isn't always the case, as the news has reported many times where simple b/w photocopied money has been passed... And they just busted one of the biggest counterfeiters in history the guy was printing the bills with regular HP printers, and moved approx. $7 million dollars... Google up 'Albert Edward Talton' if you want to read the whole story...

Last time I visited the D.C. They had money that had George Bush on the front. It was in the gift shop at the Smithsonian...

Many times these are real bills with either an over print or a die cut sticker covering the head, still a real bill... This is how the 'Santa Dollars' are done...

Big difference:

Prop making = C&Ded.

Money making: = Secret Service shows up and your popped right into jail.

Prop making: = Possible fight in court and lost of money.

Money making:= Court case, then years and years in jail…

Afterward: Prop making lost of money possible bankruptcy.

Money making: Your now a ex-con and have record and lots of things you can no longer do.

My 2 cents worth.
Rich

You could just print some more to cover the cost :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder that the united states is very strict in these cases. Here in Germany its legal to print Euro, but its illegal to pass that counterfeit money.

But the euro got lots of security seals, hologram stickers, silver stripes ans this ****. So even if you print it out, no-one will bother.

But I must say that the united states have very easy-to-prin bank notes... :)

I printed some money for my shawshank prop, for national treasure and want to print some bills for different wallets. so I think its legal to print notes from other countries here in Germany...

Even you notes are available on wikipedia to download it and print it out in high res... :thumbsup

Dudes, NEVER NEVER put into print what you doing if it is risky.

Consider: What would happen if a Secret Service was to read all of this thread???

Rich

About 12 years ago I had to make about a thousand $100 bills for a student film. They were double-sided and printed on some heavy stock we found at Staples. They were obvious fakes, but looked real enough for our purposes.

We used them to light the bonfire at the wrap party. I think a few were kept as souvenirs, but that usually happens on a film shoot. People want to keep a part of it with them.

As long as it's understood that the intended purpose isn't passing fake currency, I think you're safe - at least as safe as anyone else who frequents this forum. :angel

My understanding on this is that you can make a fake print as long as it is not identifiable as a real / imitation bill. That is why fake monies will have such a mark on it, ie copy/play money, sizing, etc or be one sided.
There are people that make their own artistic money bills in exchange for product. That is legal as long as you are not passing it off as legal tender of the United States.
There was a PBS special on this exact issue with people making their own art pieces an using it like money. There is a very fine line which law enforcement looks at. The biggest issue is intent to defraud or imitate for illegal purposes the passing of fake legal tender. The best answer is make sure it is absolutely identifiable as non legal tender bills.

Thanks for all the input guys. I will change it enough to the level that I feel safe about it. And, just for the record, I am not planning on scanning any bills - there are plenty of bill images already on the net that save the trouble ;)

From everything I have heard from my family owning a printing company and being in that industry for over 20 years, this is highly illegal and can land you in prison easier than you might think. They don't really play with this sort of thing or see the humor in it. I would take the pictures down and delete the post as soon as possible NMR. Really this whole thread should be canned. No disrespect at all to the author, as I understand what your intent is, but this is a subject best not discussed on the internet.

Chris

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back