JD's Willy Wonka Costume ?

Jodo

Master Member
Does anyone know of any sites/forums/threads/anything with any Johnny Depp Willy Wonka resources? I looked around here but couldn't find anything. I know Redballs (heh, I said balls.) makes a coat, but that's about it as far as clothing goes.

I'd be intrested in knowing a bit more about the coat, vest, shirt, pants, cane, hat and hair. :lol Pretty much anything about it. :p

EDIT - I know ACME does a real nice Wonka "W" as well.....

Last edited:
I was just checking out Toby's Willy.

WAIT! I meen....Oh man...Uhh...Well....You know...Uh.....Uh.....

:lol :p ;)

i make the cane.

I was actually the first person on the internet to offer it for sale.

If your interested I offer it for a hell of a lot cheaper than anyone else to.

PM sent to you man! :D

Does anyone know if Redball's coat is the best deal/most accurate coat available? I've not realy seen any other in general. :wacko

PM sent to you man! :D

Does anyone know if Redball's coat is the best deal/most accurate coat available? I've not realy seen any other in general. :wacko

i have the coat i actually tailored it to fit me snugger. its not bad at all.

Hmmm, I don't see a coat in the link. :( However that's WAAAAAAY to much for it anyway. :lol

Does anyone know of any place that sells a good wig? Right now I'm looking at the redbulls coat for around $100, a hat for $60. I know I can find pants for cheap, and I'll proboly use a button down vest I already have. Same goes for shoes. The only other thing I would need for the costume would be the shirt, chain, gloves and brooch. Which aside from the shirt wouldn't realy run much. And D00R's cane of corse!

But I can't decide on what Halloween project I should take on!!!! :confused

EDIT - I found the coat, I found the coat! :lol

EDIT 2 - Oh, and what about the TV room glasses?

Last edited:
We have both the red & black Redball coats & I think they are pretty well made.
I remember seeing the glasses at Hot Topic or Spencers (one of those mall stores) when the movie came out..they shouldn't be too hard to track down.
As far as a wig, I would just go to a regular local wig store to get one and if it's not exact, have a hair-stylist work it over for you. The gloves are a common medical type.

Hey, it wouldn't be possible to get a custom sized one then would it? I'm sorta concerned that if I do the costume, the coat will fit huge around my waist. I have to have a 42 or so in the chest, but I'm not that big around the waist. It wouldn't exactly look to "prop"ortion. :p

And I tried out a make-up app. today, I've never done ANYTHING like this, like actual, human looking make-up, so it was something new, and I know it needs work. But you have to start somewhere, right? Like right now I can totaly see I should put more under my nose and evrywhere around my eyes, or at least under them. And some dark color near my nose to make it a bit smaller looking. Anyway....I should proboly buy the glasses and hat, I think if I had glasses on I'd look better. I relise I don't exactly look like Johnny at all, so the more of my face that's hidden the better, right? :lol Sorta reminds me of Edward Scissorhands...

9-03-09002A.jpg

Here is me wearing my Redballs coat. I had it modified slightly. Had padding put in the shoulders to give them more form and had the cuffs opened and buttons added to make it more screen-accurate. It was a size small - which fit fine, but needed a little hemming to contour more to my body.
The hat was a standard dress top hat which I made the band myself. The gloves are purple latex (bought from a kinky sex shop supplier!)
The goggles are Dr. Peepers brand bought off Ebay. The paisley shirt is just the collar and cuffs that attach under the costume - the color and pattern is accurate to the movie - another ebay purchase, though I cannot recall the seller. The cane and brooch are also ebay finds. Not sure where to get the brooch from again, but it is highly accurate and cast in metal.
My wig was (you guessed it) an EBAY find - it's called a 'pageboy' wig, pretty standard, and with the hat and goggles, looks pretty natural.
As you can see, I pulled the look off quite well (and I don't mind tooting y own horn on that one!)
This was a real fun character to go out as - a LOT of female attention at the clubs and even the guys loved it too (fortunately, not in the same manner as the ladies!)
Hope this helps and inspires!
Wonkacopy.jpg

I have no doubt a small sized one would fit, but I just don't want it to be to tight under my arms. Yours looks excellent though, makes me excited to possibly start on mine, LOL.

Look at it this way:
If you are an accuracy nut (and I know you are - I follow your Joker stuff) then you will likely take your coat to get altered as I did.
The price is the same if you get a size medium, so get yourself a medium and that will give you enough material for altering.
I just took mine to a local drycleaning shop that does alterations. They did a great job and it didn't cost much at all.
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out for you...

Well that's the thing, there isn't any local place that does alterations/tailoring,etc. around here. :( I've yet to check around St Louis, I'm sure there are plently of places that do that there, but it's not exactly in my backyard as I'd want it to be. :p But your right, little details will drive me crazy. :p Like the shirt, accuracy wise, it's the thing I'm most worried about. :lol

Well that's the thing, there isn't any local place that does alterations/tailoring,etc. around here. :( I've yet to check around St Louis, I'm sure there are plently of places that do that there, but it's not exactly in my backyard as I'd want it to be. :p But your right, little details will drive me crazy. :p Like the shirt, accuracy wise, it's the thing I'm most worried about. :lol

Yeah, Brother Jodo lives on the Far Side of the Moon, relatively-speaking...about 500 miles past Bum **** Egypt!:lol
Rob

I found a wig today at a Halloween store about an hour away for $15, it needs to be cut, which will be up to my mom, but it's realy awsome. :lol

Looks like you will have to network online. Has anyone ever asked Indy Magnoli about doing some of these costume pieces? The coat, for sure, can be the Redballs one - but it needs altered, there is no question about that.
But the vest and shirt could be something right up Indy's alley (though his prices are high, they are not unheard of when it comes to custom tailored items).
This is a great costume, and gets a lot of attention, and I know you are a serious guy when it comes to this stuff, so take your time in putting this one together. If you pull it off as well as your Joker, it will pay off for you in the end.

Thanks! :D Right now, I think I may put my money towards my Joker suit. After talking to my mom and a few internet friends, they've convinced me to finish a project before taking on another. I'm aiming for next Free Comic Book Day for my V2.0 Joker. (Or at least the Police Car Escape version. ) However, this will give me ample time to pick up good peices of Wonka costume. And it won't stress my budget at all either.

I've decided to wear my existing Bank Heist Joker suit this Halloween, so now I can buy at least the pants, gloves, tie, and hopefully vest for my Joker care free. Taking all my Halloween budget plus the money I'll get from my current gear which will be replaced. Then I should be able to get Magnoli's coat between Halloween and Free Comic Book Day. I'm actualy hoping my family may pitch in and get it for me for Christmas. :lol

But either way, it allows me to have time to pick up accurate Wonka items. Instead of dropping $480 on Joker stuff, and near the same ammount on Wonka stuff all at once, I've got a year and change to do Wonka right. And practice make-up and his voice as well :D Having said all that, I'll proboly pick up glasses this week, and the hat next after that. Then I can at least have some decent head shots of me as Wonka. :love

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back