Any idea what Jack is holding in the Shining photo from the end of the movie?

patsmear

Sr Member
Was looking at the high res image and he has something in his right hand. Don't remember any mention of something like that in the film.

Any ideas?

Pat

Pretty sure he's not holding anything, but the pic is kinda cut off at the bottom:

the-shining-photo.jpg

In his right hand he's holding what looks like a small, folded piece of white paper or possibly a folded napkin. Of course it could be almost anything, bandaid (blister from swinging the bat), cigarette butt...

k44965ShiningPictureq228.jpg

f51194ShiningPicturecloseupo228.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, let's get our Encyclopedia Brown thinking caps on. Check out the pic three up from this post: the woman's hand's behind Jack. She is holding a similar item, almost in a striking pose as if striking a match. I would bet she is lighting a self-rolled cigarette as they would in the time period.

Then take a look at the first photo There is a gentleman holding a cig between his fingers (first guy to Jack's right) It is fat in size and similar shape to Jack's mystery item.

Prob a cig.

Last edited:
With Kubrick, it could be almost anything. A friend and fellow movie addict told me to watch that movie again, and just pay attention to the "minor" details that change from shot to shot, and its amazing to see what changes. Literally every shot, something changes. And it obviously intentional. Not sure what it means, but thats Kubrick.

Was the entire photo staged and shot with Jack for the prop in the film?

Or was Jack's head placed over someone else's in a vintage stock shot?

Thanks for the replies! I posted at work then got busy. I too thought a ciggie but I have never held/seen someone holding a cig like that.

I was wondering if it may have been a note of some sort that was in a scene cut from the film.

I haven't watched the film in a long time, but would love to know more about the things that change from scene to scene!

Pat

My guess is it's a phone number.

Doesn't look like a cig to me. Too wide & to flat. I've never waved with a flat cigarette pinched b/t my thumb and hand. Might be rolling paper actually use for right-handed tobacco, though.

-DM

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back