My homage to Tom's Han in Carbonite Desk

Darth Raijlin

I had this posted at THEDENTEDHELMET for a bit and wanted to share it here so that others might have some insight/advice as I proceed. This actually has been my first major wood working project I've ever attempted. So please keep that in mind for this noob :lol

January 1, 2009

Well, I have been doing a lot of poking around here and on the RPF getting different concepts from various builders. I wanted to take a moment to thank azheat, VashDstampede, and Fetthunter for their guidance. My goal is to produce the initial prop for under $300.

I was inspired by the HIC Desk that was made by Tom and Richard. Looking at the high quality of their work, but not the cashflow to afford something of that caliber, I began to have additional thoughts. I'm looking at the possibility of creating it as a desk also with some changes.

The panels on the side where the chair will go will be functional drawers with the panel being the facia. I figured it made sense since they were there to have them functional.

I am also attempting to work with a friend on ideas utilizing acrylic as the base of the desk to give the illusion of HIC hovering (similar to when Boba Fett is transporting him to Slave I in ESB). A friend I've talked to stated that is a unique take on it and will try to give me guidance so it's done right.

Thus far, I have just been gathering some of the parts:

Solo Face: $48 from Fetthunter
Posable Hands: $39 from Bargainboy's Buy-Outs (Ebay)http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290281383149
Upper Torso: $28 from Displayforms (Ebay) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=200154045943

I hope to be able to create something that meets up to the expectations that many of the builders have done before me. I'll post progress reports here, and I would love any kind of input/advice from the veteran HIC builders. :)

HICFace.jpg
UpperTorso.jpg
PosableHands.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
March 17, 2009

Well, it's been a hectic month. I've had bronchitis for over 4 weeks. Finally am kicking it out of the system after I told the doctor I needed something stronger since I have obstructive lung disease from the Marine Corps. He finally listened and put me on two steroids and a different antibiotic. 3-4 days later, BAM, it's nearly cleared my system. LOL...

Well, the project had to be delayed slightly cause we moved into a new house. Been spending time trying to get my office to not look like a war zone, plus repaint it. (Ugh, lavendar/purplish color!!! Decided to go with a light grey...so it was more star wars themed.)

My wife did come up with a better idea however for the design of the cabinet (mostly because I think she was afraid of being the one to help me move it...LOL).

Originally, I had planned on making the entire cabinet and carbonite fascia with Han body parts all one piece, utilizing the 1/2 ply for the sides and the top, and using a 2x2 frame. I needed the extra support so the weight of anything on the desk would be supported adequately.

She mentioned about possibly making it in pieces, to control the weight and also make it more managable while moving it. So I went back to the drawing board and designed it so that the Han Fascia will be a separate piece that will actually slide into the cabinet and stay on some support crosses. This should cut the weight down significantly and make it more managable.

She actually had another idea and I'm thinking of going to Western Carolina University (my college) and seeing if they could do it. She had the idea of getting the cabinet to be vacuum-formed plastic, similar to the children's Race Car Beds, Fire Truck Beds, etc. you see for sale. They have the boards that simply slide into them and are strong (my son had one and it was strong enough to support my weight.)

I told her the only question would be the matter of cost. I can only imagine plastic thick enough to equate to those car beds, plus the fee to get it done, would probably be high.

The plus side would be, I would already have the drawer mounts sculpted into it and the HIC Fascia could then slide in easily. So, it won't hurt to ask the college to see if they can do it without it costing an arm and a leg.

April 9, 2009

Well, with the Easter vacation starting on Wednesday, it allowed me to catch up on the office and begin the Han In Carbonite project. I was finally able to finish painting the office, so I put that hassle behind me.

I had been contemplating purchasing a table saw for the last couple of weeks and after researching what I would need and getting the most bang for my buck, I ended up purchasing the Skil 3400-12 Table Saw from Lowe's on Wednesday. Had the thing put together and adjusted in about an hour and a half, and I must say I'm quite impressed. I was able to get it marked down from $169.99 to $143, plus I had a 10% discount coupon from when I moved to the new house. In the end, I ended up paying around $138, so I can't complain.

Today, I can finally say that I have officially begun building the HIC Desk. Everything went mostly smoothly. I remembered much from my shop class in 9th grade (yeah, about a decade and a half ago since I've had to use a table saw) and was able to finish contructing the top portion of the frame. I must say that I am very pleased with the idea my wife came up with having the Han portion of the top actually sit on a different piece that would slide into the frame. This will make things much smoother.

Pic of my new baby and the shorter 2x2s of the frame:
TrimmingPainted001.jpg

The work bench, the long 2x2s, and the saw again:
TrimmingPainted002.jpg

The top frame put together:
TrimmingPainted003.jpg

Close up showing where the top facia will slip into the frame:
TrimmingPainted004.jpg

One of the 2x4s was slightly torqued, even after I ripped it down to a 2x2. So, using some cinder blocks, hopefully things will straighten out over night:
TrimmingPainted005.jpg

Had to put the kids in bed. Good thing I will have Friday and Saturday. I'm hoping to have the entire frame done by the end of the weekend. We shall see. :D

April 11, 2009

I was anxious to get back to work on the project, as I spent yesterday taking my children to see the Easter Bunny at the local Wal Mart, and of course had to purchase tons of candy for the weekend foray.

1) Added a 1x2 support at the head and the foot of the frame to assist in supporting the plywood facia once it is in place. The thought hit me and was kind of a "well duh" moment, as I should have had it included from the get go.

2) Finished up the bottom of the frame, cut out the 2x2x6 supports, and began assembly of the frame. Ended up running out of screws, so I will probably be done for the day unless the wife gets home with the children from her sister's house.

Pics

Top and bottom frame cut out, with new head/foot supports
FramingContinued001.jpg

The frame about 85% done:
FramingContinued002.jpg

FramingContinued003.jpg

FramingContinued004.jpg

I still need to put on the last 5 2x2x6 supports, as well as plan out the sliding drawer system I want to include on the HIC where the panels towards the desk chair will be.

April 20, 2009

The last week, I was able to slip in some time between studying for 3 major exams, coaching my sons soccer game on Sunday, and my wonderful wife now requesting me to do some "projects" around he house. (It's amazing how I got THE LOOK....those married know what i'm talking about.....when I purchased my table saw and other odds and ends. Now, all of a sudden it seems acceptable because there's a shelf that needs to be built for this room, a hanging thing to go in that room...blah blah blah that she is requesting.)
LOL...
The sides to the frame/desk were put in place, as well as the surface board where the actual prop pieces will be attached. Again, I can't thank my wife enough for coming up with the idea of making that seperate from the frame itself. This thing gets HEAVY lugging it around. Plus, once it comes to painting, I won't have to tape off anything. I will just be able to remove the center section and spray.
I also spent time designing and making a leaning shelf for my office, so time was split between that and the Han. I wanted to try and get the shelf done ASAP so i can go back to displaying my Star Wars collectibles.
Anyways, here's some progress pics, as well as some with the props on the front facia to get an idea of the likeness:

FramingContinued2001.jpg

FramingContinued2002.jpg

FramingContinued2003.jpg

FramingContinued2004.jpg

FramingContinued2005.jpg

FramingContinued2006.jpg

August 22, 2009

Well, I had taken a step back from the project because I needed some tools and also after checking the setup, I wasn't happy with how high the desk was going to sit once I would add the glass on top of Han.

So it was back to the drawing board (inside my head that is) determining how to accommodate the person's legs while sitting at the desk without raising the desk, hence the height of the glass top.

Simple task at first, but then you must realize that means actually cutting away part of the frame and the sideboard, making the entire structure less stable.

So I began working in my head how I would take away the least amount of wood to allow clearance for the person, yet still maintain some rigidity. During this past month and a half, I've also been working on my Vader ROTS suit, which allowed me a needed break from Han.

I came back this past week invigorated wanting to continue. I decided on the measurements of my cut, and at the same time came up with a great plan where I'm going to be putting the motherboard, hard drives, cooling fans, and whatnot for the computer once the desk is done and ready to have the hardware mounted into it.

Opposite of the opening where the person will have their legs, I will put a bottom on the desk and inside those two areas the internals of the computer will be housed, with illuminated green and red cooling fans being grafted into the HIC Side Panels.

In the pics, you can also see I started working on the first drawer for the desk. I think it came out pretty well. Keep in mind, this is all coming from my head at this point. I only did the basic sketches for the initial frame. Now it's a matter of working it out in my head, ensuring it's what I want.

Anyways, without further ado:

Aug16-22a3.jpg
Aug16-22a2.jpg

Aug16-22a1.jpg
Aug16-22a4.jpg

Aug16-22a5.jpg
Aug16-22a6.jpg
Aug16-22a.jpg

Very cool idea! Keep us posted on this one, wish I had room for something like this. I would love to have a room/office with the look of the Jupiter II for my 1:1 B9 robot!:thumbsup Keep this going and show us the pic's!

Well, since it was my last day before the next semester started, I wanted to take a bit of time to finish off the other drawer and still spend time with my three kids.

So, here's the pics of what I was able to get done:

Aug231.jpg

Aug233.jpg

Aug234.jpg

Still not sure if I want to mess with modifying the upper body, having to shape the hands, pour the glue to set the clothes and wrinkles, etc. etc. So I may just bite the bullet and go with the HIC front panel that the gentleman is making for $550:
Aug235.jpg

Last picture, you can see straight through to where I will be placing the computer hardware:
Aug23.jpg

No I'm not going to put the monitor on his chest. Hehe...I did think about having Han be the actual top of the desk, but my wife looked at me and stated, "You do want a functional desk with area to put things right?!?"

She had a point. LOL :lol

So I'm going to do with Tom did on his desk and about an 1.5" above the HIC fascia, I'll have a glass top put in place.

Similar to this: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=39500

Again, this is by no means anywhere near the quality that Tom and his group were able to produce. I'm just trying to make something nice with my fledgling skills. :lol

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back