Team zissou hat ??

DrMcoy

Sr Member
First, I realize this may get thrown into COSTUMING forum, but my guess is a lot of people don't check there that can help me.

I am obsessed with finding a red knit stocking seaman's cap or toque that looks EXACTLY like the one BILL MURRAY'S character STEVE ZISSOU wore in LIFE AQUATIC.

And yes, I know ebay sells them all the time, but they look more like what Owen Wilson's character wore -- take a close look at the STYLE of the one Murray is wearing -- larger cable weave or whatever you call it -- the little "stripes" that form the channels on the cap -- AND it is more form fitting except for the little tuft on top.

I realize, of course, how silly this pursuit is, but I have been searching on and off for this ever since the film came out. I own about 7 different styles I picked up here and there, hoping they might be what was used, but they turned out to be different once I had them in hand.

I can't believe these aren't readily available...but as all the caps used in the movie were different, maybe this was something unique picked up in Italy or France or wherever they filmed parts of the movie.

Any help appreciated, but please don't tell me to look on ebay or search for knit caps on internet cause I've already been there and done that a million times over.

Thanks in advance for ANY help you might be able to provide - I am hopeful that maybe someone overseas may shed some light on this one.

Here are a few pics...

life-aquatic-with-steve-zissou-3.jpg

LifeAquatic_Shelter.jpg

thecaptain.jpg

zissou3.jpg

Last edited:
I can recall seeing hats made out of this material in the past, but I didn't snag them since it was long before Life Aquatic.

You'll probably just have to make weekly stops to thrift shops and slavation armys for a while :\ I think dollars stores some times have cheap beanies is the kinda material, too.

I used to see them all the time on Ebay. Had a little stoplight logo.

Edit: I just checked ebay doing a search on "zissou cap". They have them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to see them all the time on Ebay. Had a little stoplight logo.

Edit: I just checked ebay doing a search on "zissou cap". They have them.

Thanks for the advice, but as i stated in my first post, I am well aware of what ebay offers -- I have several of the "stoplight" caps. They look more like what Owen Wilson wore -- not just because of the stoplight patch but the actual construction of the cap.

As I said, I am trying to find EXACTLY what Bill Murray wore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a photo of the actual hat Willem Dafoe wore in the flick. The spacing COULD be similar to Murray's hat except for the pom pom at the top. Is it possible Murray's hat had a pom pom that was removed? That might explain why you have had trouble finding one since it was actually adapted.

3642900258_70c59f4ea0.jpg

Lastly, it is entirely possible that the hat was knitted especially for the movie.

Last edited:
I was trying to put together a Team Zissou costume. I do have a red toque, but it doesn't look like Bill Murray's 'condom' toque. :lol

too bad you don't know someone who is handy with some knitting needles. I knit, and it looks like it would be fairly easy to whip up.

If anyone was to do so, I would request a on-screen colored hat. Wes Anderson almost always tweaks the colors in post production.

i finally found some online that are pretty dang close and priced decent - around $15 to $20 i believe -- i posted the link a year or so ago in costume forum -- i'll see if i can find the thread and links.

as for the new one from liquid skateboard, i'm in for one ONCE you post pics of the actual beanie you are offering.

here is info from other thread i posted a year or so ago:

============================

I've posted about this before -- there are many Owen Wilson (Ned Plimpton) style red knit caps being sold on ebay and elsewhere, the one's with red/yellow/green stoplight patch. But ever since movie came out, I've been looking for the plain red cap that Bill Murray (Steve Zissou), which had distinct ribbing pattern in cap...and came close a few times, but never really found the exact cap.

And, unfortunately, I still haven't found 100% exact match, but these are REALLY close.

Here be the links for any diehard Zissou fan -- I already own one of the 3 and have the other 2 on order...I will provide a brief review once I have all in hand.

http://www.e4hats.com/solid-plain-watch-cap-beanie-red.html

http://www.e4hats.com/g-i-watch-cap-with-cuff-red.html

http://www.e4hats.com/heavy-weight-watch-cap-beanie-red.html

got the liquid hat -- it is 99% dead on to the STYLE, but it is more orange than red.

i'll post pics soon -- may see if I can dye it to be a closer match.

okay, here are pics of me sporting the LIQUID SKATEBOARDS Zissou hat.

I admit that it appears to be 99% spot on to the one Bill Murray wore in the movie, except it is orange, not red. I asked LS about this and they said they had the caps specially manufactured for them to match Steve Zissou's (which accounts for the exact styling -- note the ribbing and the little tuft on top, an exact match to my eye). They claim the one in the movie was more orange. While I can't discount this, it certainly looks more red to me -- the cap LS has listed says it is a red/orange, but trust me when I tell you, it looks orange, not red. Even if this was the exact color used in the movie, it looks more red on screen and I asked LS if they would make one more red -- they said maybe in future.

i might be able to dye this one, but at the $25 or so it took to get it, I don't wanna mess it up.

Anyways, here are the pics, judge for yourself.

IMG_0656_zpsa567a65c.jpg

IMG_0650_zps3e75b754.jpg

IMG_0649_zps41a38210.jpg

IMG_0647_zps3d48ceed.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back