is there a 1:1 print out of han solo in carbonite

I just wanted to bump this in case anyone out there made posters or standees. CE, where exactly on the site are the blueprints? I couldn't seem to navigate anywhere.

I know this thread is quite old now, but I was concerned with the "IC Carbonite is a resculpt" myth started here. Don Bies has been mis-quoted and I wanted to set the record straight. Here is his original statement on the history of the Illusive Concepts Han in Carbonite replica that he posted on the R2 builders forum years ago I kept a copy off for my own records. He clearly states that it was molded, not re-sculpted, although he says some amendments were made, like filling out undercuts on the hands.

The making of the Han Solo in Carbonite replica prop by Don Bies

In 1989, Planet Hollywood contacted Lucasfilm about getting some props to display in their restaurants. Lucasfilm didn't want to give (or sell) them originals, but was willing to allow ILM to make replicas. Their first order, originally for the New York site, was R2 & 3P0. I headed that project up and we molded original parts very quickly to do these one offs (Later, Don Post would use a casting from these molds that lives at ILM for his molds for R2, and castings directly from our trashy 3P0 molds.) Their second order was Vader (originally for the Chicago site) and Han in carbonite(don't know what happened to that one) [*NB it's in the Planet Hollywood in London - edit by Graham Todman]. (Another sidenote: One of the cardboard standees that they sold later was actually a photo of this Vader replica, and it also appears on the box art for the 12" Kenner figure released in the early 90s.) At the archives, there were 2 castings of the carbonite Han--the painted, aged one used in the film with the control panels on the side(actually dashboards from some european car-look for the turn signal indicators!) and one that was plain with no panels. We molded the latter, but took out some undercuts from behind his fingers for ease of molding. Quick panel mock-ups were scratch-built and sent off to PH, while the mold went to the archives. Years later, when Illusive Concepts wanted to make one, they came to the archives and pulled a plaster cast from our mold, then made their own production mold. I don't know if they did any further modifications or not to it, and they made their own control panels.

One more anecdote: The ILM model shop made a carbonite Han casting to adorn its walls, and when the Jedi:Special Edition was being filmed, IT was used in the background behind the taiko drummers. To fill the space in the panels, the still photographer took photos of the real panels (it was going away to some exhibit and couldn't be used) and those were blown up and attached to the panel spots.

Don Biez
Extract from the R2 Builders Yahoo Group

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back