Building the 8' Star Destroyer (superstructures done)

Re: Building the 8' Star Destroyer

Thanks for your comments guys !

Yeah Michael those are very cool but I think Brad made a good point, I will try to cast it !

Ok guys, I will build the whole thing, we have one life and life is too short, so let's go.

I prefer post it here since I would have more chance than in the junkyard,

I would like to buy all the Shinano hulls of the ones who want to sell it. AFAIK it's not used on any other Star Wars stuff (maybe the 3' ?). I havent count how many hulls I would need, probably 20 or 30 :lol Those are not easy to cast (at least with my skills)

shinanohull.jpg

I would also be glad to buy those parts also from the Shinano (I would need just a copy of each, I can cast those ones) :

shinanopart2.jpg

shinanopart1.jpg

I would like also to buy 2 of those parts (Mobelwagen) :

Mobelwagen-1-2.jpg

Thanks for your help, please PM for offer !

PM sent J, you can have my parts as well dude!

Hey guys,

Not huge updates (for you) but a huge work (for me).

The Karl and the ford engine parts well not at the right place. What a pain to remove them with care... Took me one hour.

8ft57.jpg

Since the part was not usable I had to use another one. Unfortunatly in 2 of my Karl kits the parts are not well molded !

(on the left a good one)

8ft58.jpg

See the flaws !

8ft59.jpg

Well finally all is good :

8ft61.jpg

The Karl and Gneisenau parts are not glued yet since I dont know what is the part behind them.

I removed the styrene strips on the top of the bridge because I saw on my new reference material that I was a bit off. It was the good time to exchange the Mobelwagen armor plates. Here again it was very hard to remove them without hurting the surrounding parts.

8ft60.jpg

That's look OK, TBH I was not affected by those 2 parts but since I had the opportunity to change them, Im glad of the result even if its not very noticiable..

I found a part which is very similar to the right one :

8ft64.jpg

Not 100% correct but since we dont know the right one, this will do the job. Ill replace it if we ever find the correct one.

Allan (Imaginager) sent me the T34 parts, I cast it and put it in place :

8ft63.jpg

Thanks Allan !

OK today I received a kit I already bought 3 years ago for my 1/2 Avenger. Unfortunatly since I picked a lot of those kits for it on ebay I didnt recall from which kit it was and of course Ive lost the part... But I had some boxes (empty) so I ordered again those kit. One came with no part (AFAIK) for the Avenger but I was right for the other ! I still need to find another kit I bought which has several big parts for the superstructure. Cant recall the kit... I did a mold of the part for my small Avenger but it's in a bad state...

Ok so here's the new part with the Gneisenau turret :

8ft66.jpg

And I found the part which is behind this assembly, in the Hood housing ! Enterprise kit sprue (wow what a great find :lol) and an Enterprise part.

Thanks for looking !

Astounding work Julien, totally mad but loving these updates!.
Boy your'e one brave puppy to remove those parts J, especially if you used superglue, what a pain but hey I thinh we've all been there too?.
Just a thought if any other parts need realigning/removing, spray with oven cleaner and watch as all those lovely parts fall off cleanly just as they did with my Tie bomber which worked in my favor BTW!. It eats through glue too so has another use besides a paint remover lol!.
Anyway looking amazing J, not long now to finishing dude ha ha!:lol

Gosh... This looks like so much fun I'm tempted to do it. But I think if I were to do so, I'd make it a sister ship, and just have fun finding parts that are close to it but maybe not dead-on accurate.

Would it make sense in the fictional SW world that another Star Destroyer would be largely similar, but not exact?

Awesome, awesome, awesome, Julien. I'm so glad you decided to do the entire ship. Wow.

Cheers,
Martyn

Progress is looking great! If you're going to mold your balls, you might want to detail one as far as you can and then mold it.
That way you only have to do the detail once.

Many thanks for your comments guys !

Stu, unfortunatly it would have been too easy with cyano :/ I used orange and green tamiya glue which literally melt and welt the plastic. That's a cold welding :/

Rob I think it would make sense. Sisterships I never the same in the real world so why not in the Star Wars universe ? Just take a look at the X-Wings, Y-Wings, AT-ST's... None of them are exactly the same !

Thanks Martyn, and thanks again for your help :)

SWGeek : Im wondering if I should go this way... That's a big problem for me because if I had the little trianular styrene plates, it would create a ton of sharp edges (sharper than the crystal edges). It means a lot of trap for airbubbles (I cant do pressure casting). But in the other hands, cut thousand of exactly the same parts would be time consuming. I dont know what to do ! I think I will try to do a mold with all the styrne plates in place and if it doesnt work, Ill cast the second and naked crystal !

SWGeek : Im wondering if I should go this way... That's a big problem for me because if I had the little trianular styrene plates, it would create a ton of sharp edges (sharper than the crystal edges). It means a lot of trap for airbubbles (I cant do pressure casting). But in the other hands, cut thousand of exactly the same parts would be time consuming. I dont know what to do ! I think I will try to do a mold with all the styrne plates in place and if it doesnt work, Ill cast the second and naked crystal !

It's too bad you don't live closer I could pressure cast them for you.

Tox did I read your going the whole 8yards! :eek You are a modelling monster! Well your going to build one at any case & this is truly inspireing work.

It's too bad you don't live closer I could pressure cast them for you.

It's too bad I dont live in Los Angeles, 30 years back ! :lol
Thanks anyway :) That's really something I should buy... a pressure pot !

Yeah Omes, I will build the whole thing. Im very satisfied with my 42" ISD but I love so much the 8'... I can recall when I saw for the first time Hi rez pics of the brim trenches and the superstructures. I thought "well In no way I could ever do that !". That was 3 years ago !

Thanks for your interest.

Awesome work Julien!

Makes me wonder,..... where are you going to put that beauty once it's finished?:confused

This kind of work really blows my mind! God bless you for having such skill!
That's the kind of model kits I want to see in stores!

Scratchy, I have no idea :lol

Thanks for your support guys, it's a long way to go !

Ive started to detail the pylons :

8ft69.jpg

Im waiting for some parts from kits I should receive soon but most of the other parts, I cant find them !

Better get this finished quick mate, I'm coming to Paris on the 3rd Oct, I'm looking into staying an extra day if your around on the Sat/Sun?

Better get this finished quick mate, I'm coming to Paris on the 3rd Oct, I'm looking into staying an extra day if your around on the Sat/Sun?

Hey Guy,

I work until 2nd Oct then I got 2 weeks off so that's just fine for me ! :)

Thanks Michael, Ive 2 or 3 more kitparts on the pylons but I cant work more on her for now !

I would like to thanks all of you guys who helped me and will do with the Shinano parts, that's great ! Im pretty close of the number of Shinano hulls I need now :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back