Blank firing guns...

Rook 3

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
You can buy an M9/92f style Beretta blank firing pistol for under $100 these days.

Typically, they ship with a red plastic barrel plug and fire the standard semi-auto only.

Has anyone tried modding one of these for use as a prop in a fanfilm?

I mean, drilling out the barrel plug, or possibly modding it to fire full auto? Or any other mods?

Russ

Caution to wind here. First you will need sufficient blow back gases to throw slide back so you can chamber next blank. Now in order to fire properly you are going to need a restricter or barrel plug and I presume the barrel on these is not sufficient to handle the pressure needed. I would stay away and just mod a real weap by a gunsmith.

Well, the blank guns are an 8mm blank. I'm not certain on what kind of power they put out as I haven't invested in one yet. It is possible that the reason the barrel is plugged is to provide enough back pressure for blowback. More research is needed. :)

As far as modding a real weapon... that would be CONSIDERABLY more expensive than using a $100 blank pistol, hence the question. If cost was no object then of course I'd use blank modded real steel. :D

@Treadwell: Yes, it can supposedly be done with a drop in part (This was done with the Blade 2 and Judge Dredd pistols). But the part makes it a class 3 weapon which is pretty illegal for the average citizen to own without jumping through all the legal red tape provided by the BATF.

Russ

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mez7 @ May 11 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]1242334[/snapback]</div>
those were made with one of these, not just a berretta with a drop in part, i would thik it would probably have to be alot more to it than just a drop in part or wouldnt the barretta itself be illegal? since it could easily be converted to full auto?

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/reviews/m93r/m93rreview.htm

the above is also what was used for the robocop pistol
[/b]

http://www.longmountain.com/movieguns/Underworld

full auto 92F's were used in Judge Dredd, Blade 2, underworld and equilibrium.

Yep, those are the ones I was referring to. :)

The Dredd pistol wasn't made with the M93r, but with a modified 92F. The prop maker lamented the fact that they couldn't get the 93r's which already fired in burst or full auto mode right out of the box.

not just a berretta with a drop in part, i would thik it would probably have to be alot more to it than just a drop in part or wouldnt the barretta itself be illegal? since it could easily be converted to full auto?[/b]

The issue is that it's not a readily available part. It's not something one could buy or special order from their local gun shop. It would have to be purchased or "rented" from Beretta directly, and they don't just sell full auto weaponry to the common civillian. :D

You need to have the proper paperwork and such to either be a military/police organization or a registered movie prop house/armorer. The average guerrilla filmmaker/street grunt like me is SOL. :lol

Russ

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back