$15 Kids Ghostbusters Proton Pack

Mercury

Sr Member
My 7 yr old son has been bugging me about Ghostbusters.:wacko He's got the wii & DS games and has been watching the movies every time they come on, which is alot lately. I remembered the old kenner role playing toys from the 80s, but they are pretty expensive now if you can find them on ebay.

So I ran to walmart today and picked up $15 worth of craft boxes and a can of black paint. That combined with a old rolling bookbag, a plastic cup, a aluminum ruler, colored corrigated loom tubing, colored cat 5 cables, and some stickers I printed out, I was able to come up with a custom proton pack in a couple of hours.

I love the 1st movie, but never was into Gb like a lot of other people, so it's not accurate but it works for what it is. My boy loves it and is ready for it to be finished. I still have to make a wand though. :cool

GB1.jpg

GB2.jpg

GB3.jpg

GB4.jpg

I think that looks great! :thumbsup Now you've got me thinking about doing something similiar for my boys...

What did you do for the wand?

I think that looks great! :thumbsup Now you've got me thinking about doing something similiar for my boys...

What did you do for the wand?

I haven't tackled the wand yet, hope to make it tom or sat. and I'll update with pics. I'll probably be using parts from a plastic kids net handle, another little box, some more colored wires, etc. I'm kind of designing it as I go and see what looks good.

Thanks all for the positive replys.:cool

Good job! I swear it looked like $30 worth.

I wanted one so bad when I was little, your son is very lucky.

Well $15 out of my pocket today, the rest was just old unused junk lying around the house although if I had to buy everything I used new it'd probably be cheaper to buy the kenner stuff on ebay. :lol

I was looking at this and thought it was a great idea. I'm having a hard time finding a grey or khaki child size flight suit though. :(

I was looking at this and thought it was a great idea. I'm having a hard time finding a grey or khaki child size flight suit though. :(

My wife is looking for a khaki jumpsuit but for the time being I will probably pick up one of the child Halloween costumes.

I forgot to post the most recent pics of the proton pack with wand. I used an old hairbrush, some black legos, a bike grip, and an old telescope. I originally had hooks to hang it on but it made it hard to re-hook while wearing it so I ended up using velcro on the pack and on the wand.

I can't wait to see what others come up with on their kids proton packs.:)

12.jpg

13.jpg

First time I made a proton pack, professionally, I kit-bashed a pair of Mickey Mouse Ears that had LEDs blinking in a pattern. I used those for the 4 red lights, and they blinked like they do in the movies. You could go the extra mile and find a cheap toy with lights you could kit-bash.

For the cyclotron lights you can use a rotating Halloween pumpkin light. Picked up 2 after last Halloween for 50¢ each I think. Then I got some bike reflectors from the dollar store, and even placed away from the reflectors the lights rotating light effect was cool. For the blue led I found a scrolling blue light for car effect on the net only to have my mom "store" it somewhere. I ended up cutting up a blue plastic folder and placing a strobe I bought for less than $10 behind the blue plastic and set the strobe on a slow flash.

~ Don D' Ablo :love

PS
For super low budget the pack is da $#!+

Last edited:
sweet !, my dad never did anything that cool for me, well ....except for the roof over my head and clothes on my back and... oh hmmm , i seemed to have trailed off. Think I'll go call my dad.

Nice one! I was planning to do a children's Evil Dead Ash costume for a kid I knew for his school Halloween party. He was ten and I was going to mod a toy chainsaw to put his hand inside of that still had lights and sound and a toy double barreled shotgun XD His mom said no though...spoil sport. I think he went as some lame anime character instead. 9_9 Ugi-oh or some nonsense.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back