Wesley Dodds, the Golden Age Sandman WiP

Bizarro Lois

Sr Member
And here is my husband's costume so far. We took the mask and overcoat to the flea market today, where there's a guy that sells all kinds of vintage and similarly-styled hats. He found exactly what he had in mind there. Since I took this picture, we went back out and found a tie that works really well. We also have a pattern for a waistcoat that I'm working on, so that will replace the suit jacket in the photo. Other than that, all we need is a pair of leather gloves, shoes, and the gun. We were thinking of modding an old-looking cap gun by removing the barrel and replacing it with a pvc tube or something. Anyone have any other ideas?

005-1.jpg

004.jpg

Looks great!

The gun sounds like a good idea, they are quite simplistic in design . Only thing i would add would be to remove the lable on the coat and serial number from the gas mask as both are a little distracting. Besides that this is a great interpretation of the character :)

I'm going to remove the label. I actually had just noticed that after posting the pics. But I'm not sure how I'd go about removing the the number from the mask. It was printed on like that when we got it, so I don't know how I'd remove it without damaging the mask.
While shopping for the hat, we got a tip on custom-fitting wool hats from the guy at the stand. This may or may not be old news to everyone here, but I thought I'd share anyway. He said to steam it over boiling water(teapot or just a pot of water) until the inside feels damp. Then put it on the way you plan to wear it. Leave it on until the hat is completely dry and cool. As the wool dries, it will conform to the shape of your head. I did this yesterday, and it seems to have worked really well.

Just picked up a toy cap gun and will start modding it today. Will post pics once I make some progress.
For the gloves, there are a few on eBay within our price range and we're looking at sporting goods stores as well.

For those of you who have been considering putting together this costume, have any of you bothered with a shoulder holster? The canister of the gas gun is pretty wide, and I'm afraid that the holster will be too bulky for my husband to wear comfortable under his coat.

Looking really great so far. Is there anyway to darken the lenses? I think black reflective lenses would really lend to the overall mystique...

Looking forward to seeing more:)

Regards
TAZ

I'm sure you could, but I don't know how it would affect the wearer's vision. In the comics, they look like they could be tinted, but that could also be shadow. You can still clearly see Wesley's eyes most of the time.

I'm sure you could, but I don't know how it would affect the wearer's vision. In the comics, they look like they could be tinted, but that could also be shadow. You can still clearly see Wesley's eyes most of the time.

A slight tint around the edges to enhance the "shadow" effect would be cool, but not necessarily...necessary.

As far as a holster, I was going to use a cross-draw holster at my waist. The bulk of the gun would be covered by the overcoat.

What're you using for the barrel of the gas gun? I'm leaning towards a large inline fuel filter, like from a Volvo or Mercedes.

I found an everyday object that looks like the right size and shape and I'm going to try that. I'm actually going to wait to share anything about the gas gun until it's finished.

A slight tint around the edges to enhance the "shadow" effect would be cool, but not necessarily...necessary.

As far as a holster, I was going to use a cross-draw holster at my waist. The bulk of the gun would be covered by the overcoat.

What're you using for the barrel of the gas gun? I'm leaning towards a large inline fuel filter, like from a Volvo or Mercedes.

Nate had actually asked about wearing a little makeup around his eyes, kind of like Bruce Wayne in "Batman Begins" did under his cowl. I have not found anything that would tint the lenses and leave them transparent. Time is getting too short to replace the mask if I would ruin it.

The gas gun will be done soon. All I have to do is finish painting it and attach the barrell. The body of the gun is metallic charcoal with a "wooden" grip. I haven't decided what color to make the barrel. Most of the lighter grays have been to bright and shiny, so I was thinking about leaving it primer gray, just to see how it looks.

I think I found a solution to darkening the lenses of the mask. I found some black fishnet mesh that I had bought for a custom figure, cut a piece out, and stretched it over the eyeholes of my Red Tornado helmet. With a little hot glue to hold it in place, it makes the eyes look black, like the comics and obscures my eyes and glasses, while allowing me to see through it. I'm going to try the same thing with the Sandman mask. Will post later once I see how it works.

I think it worked pretty well. It doesn't make the eyeholes overly dark, but it does make a difference. The eyes are also more noticeable in this picture because of the camera flash. The mesh makes a more drastic difference on my helmet, for some reason.
gasmask3.jpg

I would totally be at the auto parts store buying window tint film. I wish I could hold that mask and get a better look. Part of me thinks it'd be pulling teeth to cut and adhere it to so small an area, but a greater part is convinced it could be done. No such luck as removable lenses on that thing?

I've never seen that stuff before. By any chance, would it also prevent the lenses from fogging up? Is it expensive? Difficult to work with? This has to be done by Thursday night.

It doesn't seem to be particularly expensive. You'd just buy the absolute smallest bit that you could. This item at Amazon, for example, is $5.

I think working with it might be a bit tedious, but not exactly difficult. I can't tell how the mask goes together, but it looks like the lenses don't have much of a bezel -- so you'd need to cut a fairly precise and tidy circle. From there, it's a matter of neatly adhering the film; I know some of them are supposed to stick by static cling while others have a glue. I'm not sure which would be better.

If it's somehow possible to remove the lenses, It would be a five minute job. If they don't come out, it's just going to take some extra time to make sure everything is neatly done. But yeah...I totally think you can do it.

I looked at the lenses last night, and can't find any way to detach them. If anyone else is familiar with how these are put together, the mask was listed as a Hungarian, WWII model. Maybe someone else here would know a way to pop them out. Thanks for the suggestion. Until I order it somewhere, it won't be here in time for the Con, but maybe it would make a nice upgrade for another event. I also wouldn't want to get that film stuck on the lenses wrong and not be able to remove it, so waiting will give me a chance to experiment with it. I know that my husband is planning to wear this for at least Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Halloween, and he said that he wouldn't mind upgrading bits and pieces if we find more accurate stuff.

The window tint is pretty much like any vinyl window cling. Just use a credit card to make sure you get all the air bubbles out. It's also ridiculously easy to find: Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, just about any major auto supply store should have it.

P.S. Ever consider using a baclava with the costume?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back