WW2 Captain America help

hikz

I'm just starting to put together a ww2 Captain America ultimate costume and was wondering if any guys here had done one, if anyone has links or info that might be helpfull I would be very gratefull
cheers
jamie

are you looking for the leather mask with the goggles also? i like that version... alot of the renditions in my head are of a well worn leather jacket like the one of 410 to uma and the rocketeer, with realistic colors and a tall broad collar. no white sleaves, with a white or red large turtle neck shirt. the a leather belt strap system for your military look. the mask is an easy deal, molded leather and if you can find a kool set of goggles. the shield is easy, i cam do that for you... in any paint scheme, but this is the better of the costumes... more realsitic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClBTG5_NU-Q
this is a really good trailer, i made them a round steel shield, (not the one in this short) and they are looking to really finish it soon...

I presume this version?

074kr.jpg

theres this from southbeach leather

yhst-11391242254467_2065_4478388

although there are issues with southbeach leather as a supplier though - just do a search on it on here. mixed reviews from various guys. and you will have decide for urself.

irishamerican - you shields rock, always wanted to get one of the 40's style ones

you mean this one? lol and i posted a pic of the WWII captain america from the video game... and of a jacket i made, non leather, and actually its my first costume...

IMG_4121.jpg

PB210312.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

2784786-captainamerica.jpg

costume2.jpg

yep exactly the one mate
nothing wrong with the more recognisable round version.

one day mate... one day... I will get that shield into my collection ;P

irishamericanlad, Not exactly a small guy are you? lol
hikz, Great idea looking forward to seeing this done.:thumbsup

Last edited:
Yes this is the way I want to go, how much do you want for one of your shields shipped to the uk? As for the leather mask I think I might buy a leather
ww2 flying helmet and mod it.

are you looking for the leather mask with the goggles also? i like that version... alot of the renditions in my head are of a well worn leather jacket like the one of 410 to uma and the rocketeer, with realistic colors and a tall broad collar. no white sleaves, with a white or red large turtle neck shirt. the a leather belt strap system for your military look. the mask is an easy deal, molded leather and if you can find a kool set of goggles. the shield is easy, i cam do that for you... in any paint scheme, but this is the better of the costumes... more realsitic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClBTG5_NU-Q
this is a really good trailer, i made them a round steel shield, (not the one in this short) and they are looking to really finish it soon...

there is a guy I see at cons that always wears his cap outfit. Looks amazing. Always carries the American Flag. Can't find a pic, but it is that version.

sent you the price with discount...
(irishamericanlad, Not exactly a small guy are you? lol ) i used to think i was big, 6'2" 245 lbs, but now i fee average lol...

you mean this one? lol and i posted a pic of the WWII captain america from the video game... and of a jacket i made, non leather, and actually its my first costume...

IMG_4121.jpg

PB210312.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

2784786-captainamerica.jpg

costume2.jpg

I'm curious, given the many paint schemes of the shield over the years and changes of artists, the scalloped top vs the angular top, the flat top, etc, aside from the circular shield with the single star, do you have a system for identifying the various shield versions? Perhaps something based on the number of stars displayed, or something like that. Obviously, going by color scheme wouldn't make much of a difference with this character. Or do you only make the one style of shield, aside from the round one? How heavy are the shields, and what do you use inside them as a handle- not a second strap, I hope. I fight with a sword and shield in the youth group I run, and I've always thought a Cap shield would be really cool- I also want one that's painted as a STOP sign, but then again, I get silly, lol.
Most of the shields we use are hardwood ply, in 1/4", which are light and durable. Weight is a consideration, as it IS a youth group, and these are kids holding them most of the time. When we use metal, with that in mind, we use sign aluminum, usually from a surplus dealer, so the signs are all legally obtained. The aluminum holds up well to a beating, and still is nice and light, so a full day tourney wont kill an arm. My own heavy fighting shield is two layers of 1/4" hard-ply, coated with a sheet of 20ga galvanized steel, and then painted. The interior is a leather arm strap and a gate handle, affixed with carriage bolts for a smoother face surface.

I presume this version?

074kr.jpg

The helmet is a standard steel pot and liner (trust me, you WANT the liner), and the body straps are a standard LBE setup on a pistol belt. Start haunting Army surplus stores and websites (I like sportsmansguide.com) for the parts to put that together- it shouldn't even run a lot of money.

The pants might be done with a more modern cargo-style BDU pants, if you can get them in a white or light color you could dye, or possibly go with a standard dark olive green to mimic the BDU colors of WWII. The spats on the boots are a holdover from the WWI uniform, and are hard to find anymore, in a decent condition. A light olive green canvas can be used to make your own, and then grommet them with a black oxide grommet, and a tan or olive lacing. Standard black combat boots under them would really set the whole look off.

For this version of Cap, the hardest part to locate is really the tunic, and the sources for that have already been posted for you. everything else is almost off-the-shelf, excepting the mask/underhelmet and shield. The goggles could be done from some older style welder goggle, swapping out the green lenses for clear, and perhaps some paint on them. When working from comic art, I try to use an approach of "close as possible", rather than the extremes of screen accuracy as you get with a movie. Comic artists do not spend the time and effort on details that might determine model A or model B of a given item, they are looking to give the proper over-all impression. I'm sure none of them have time to ensure every panel they draw has the proper number of eyelets in the combat boots laces- it's enough to be able to tell they ARE combat boots.

I'm curious, given the many paint schemes of the shield over the years and changes of artists, the scalloped top vs the angular top, the flat top, etc, aside from the circular shield with the single star, do you have a system for identifying the various shield versions? Perhaps something based on the number of stars displayed, or something like that. Obviously, going by color scheme wouldn't make much of a difference with this character. Or do you only make the one style of shield, aside from the round one? How heavy are the shields, and what do you use inside them as a handle- not a second strap, I hope. I fight with a sword and shield in the youth group I run, and I've always thought a Cap shield would be really cool- I also want one that's painted as a STOP sign, but then again, I get silly, lol.
Most of the shields we use are hardwood ply, in 1/4", which are light and durable. Weight is a consideration, as it IS a youth group, and these are kids holding them most of the time. When we use metal, with that in mind, we use sign aluminum, usually from a surplus dealer, so the signs are all legally obtained. The aluminum holds up well to a beating, and still is nice and light, so a full day tourney wont kill an arm. My own heavy fighting shield is two layers of 1/4" hard-ply, coated with a sheet of 20ga galvanized steel, and then painted. The interior is a leather arm strap and a gate handle, affixed with carriage bolts for a smoother face surface.

the WWI style shield changes with each artist, the one with the blue on the sides is what marvel calls the licensed WWII shield...
Original_shield_design.jpg

the original captian america cover WWII
1940-2.jpg

mine
IMG_2934.jpg

and my brackets are welded on, two for the adjustable leather arm strap and a handle, all made from the same material as the shield, its 16g pressed rolled but not heavy at all... and i chose a more "traditional" shape for my shield but can make any shape... and a few of the new hanldes i am making...
IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4112.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool project. But a bit side stort and some thoughts.

For the new capt america movie i belive the storry will be played out part in WW2 and main movie in real time. For the new Captain america i belive
they will use the new boddy armor similar to a existing bullet proofe vest called dragon skin. This is among the best bulletproof and antisplint suit mades and its used by army troops.

The material absorbs impact incredible well, i belive its to be said its the best. The funny thing how how it looks and how its layerd. Just like the original design of Captain america. Take a look:

dragonskin_8.jpg

Here is the video documetary:
Look at the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kMCZlSfUW4

I belive this is A nice way to bring real life tecnology into the super hero realm.

now if someone, i dont know, say a master of costumes in the area of modeling and casting, where to make a prototype captain america costume... say TMP... maybe :lol

I dont mean to hijack this thread, but if anybody has any connections to get a leather WW2 cap jacket with center star please PM me

Magnoli does a custom jacket, I would have liked it but it was alittle out of my price range in the leather so I've gone for one in a heavy cotton material to match the trousers

someone should just sculpt the Capt America WWII leather cowl and cast it up and paint it to look like leather. The full version that goes down the neck and everything.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back