Back to the Future

Isn't the one on BBTS supplied by Markpoon? Same description and all.
That's right.
And yes besides the notebook version sold at Universal there has been no official replicas of the Almanac. BigBadToyStore also sells Markpoon's Almanac replicas.

Which of course, would make it an unlicensed replica, but the best one out there.
Indeed. And now I am really curious to see what improvements Roland is going to have for his Almanac replica.

Indeed. And now I am really curious to see what improvements Roland is going to have for his Almanac replica.

Shh....don't put pressure on him lol.

I enjoy everything he posts. His talents in making paper props far out mine. I usually make papercrafts though lol.

Inventors Portrait Photos redux

I know, they are posted here already, but I always try to push it to the closest, what you see on screen. Here are again the Inventors portraits on Doc Brown's chimney. After I watch the movie again, something wasn't right to me, when I remembered the old photos posted with a size of about 9x12 - they are more 10x13! After looking for frames 10x13, I am pretty sure, that the real size is 10x13. Two photos I downloaded and cropped afterwards confirmed my assumption (Newton, Einstein). I also faded them as I could see on my DVD - not perfect for my standards, but so close, if you print them, you wouldn't notice from the screen. I also attached the non-faded versions. These portraits are in print size 10x13, with an intended uniform size of 720x936, otherwise I couldn't get my brush and eraser properly handled.

If you like to get your owns hands on the pics, feel free, I also added my largest found photo on the internet.

Inventors Portrait faded 10x13 cropped as close as seen on-screen:

Inventors non-faded 10x13 cropped:

Inventors orginal largest photos found via google:

aaand: the internet is so vast and surprising - I combed for "flux capacitor" and found the largest Doc Brown sketch, BUT it seems to be an original screen used prop! The comparison between the old old inferior scan and the vectorized version is interesting, handwriting is consistent with Lloyd (handwriting is unique for every person), the details are much better and done with a sharpie, even overhangs and dots of sharpie are visible, which is NOT on the the low res scan or vector scan - the crumpled parts are scanned it. And again watching the movie gives a new size of papersheet, that IS NOT US Letter! It's a square, 13x13", I posted a screencap and the crumpled as well as the de-crumpled version,

handwriting from Lloyd:

Last edited:
@YenChih Lin

Thanks for the images of Einstein and Franklin. They are better than the ones, that I had.

About the flux capacitor drawing you found: Maybe it's a production made prop, but it's not the one, that can be seen on screen. Compare it with the screen grab you posted. Example: the formula to the left of the drawing - on your find it begins with "Xx4", but on the screen used one you can read "X+Y".

The size of 13"x13" is correct - it's an unfolded napkin. ;)

The size of Doc's inventor's portraits must be 11"x15" (without frame). Look at the Polaroid that I attached (it's from outatime.net). Behind the newspaper frame you can see a letter. If we assume that it's an US-Letter, then the inventor's photo is exactly 11"x15".

Hmmm, I am not sure, 11"x15" is not a common frame, even in the US, it has to be custom made, see here: Frames for an 11x15 picture? | Gold Picture Frame Don't forget the width is of a US letter is 8,5". I don't want to be smart-ass, but it really makes not sense production wise to do extra work, if you can grab some standard frames off the store shelfs. Still looks like 10"x13" for me.

Flux Capacitor Sketch: interesting, slipped away from my sight… but why would Christopher make slightly different sketches?

... Don't forget the width is of a US letter is 8,5". I don't want to be smart-ass, but it really makes not sense production wise to do extra work, if you can grab some standard frames off the store shelfs. Still looks like 10"x13" for me. ...

It was not just an estimation from me. I counted the pixels on that Polaroid. Time for calculations:

The letter is 405 pixels wide.

---> 405 pixels / 8.5 inch = 47.647 pixels/inch

The photograph below that letter is 523 x 714 pixels.

---> 523 pixels / 47.647 pixels/inch = 10.977 inch
---> 714 pixels / 47.647 pixels/inch = 14.985 inch

Any questions? :D

The official size of the portraits is given as 44 x 37 cm (L x W) in the BTTF prop book and that must be including frames. So it's approx 17.32 x 14.56 inches.

The official size of the portraits is given as 44 x 37 cm (L x W) in the BTTF prop book and that must be including frames. So it's approx 17.32 x 14.56 inches.

Hmmm, if I count the pixels including frame, it's 714 x 905. That's 14.985" x 18.994". Seems to be 15" x 19" frame.

It was not just an estimation from me. I counted the pixels on that Polaroid. Time for calculations:

The letter is 405 pixels wide.

---> 405 pixels / 8.5 inch = 47.647 pixels/inch

The photograph below that letter is 523 x 714 pixels.

---> 523 pixels / 47.647 pixels/inch = 10.977 inch
---> 714 pixels / 47.647 pixels/inch = 14.985 inch

Any questions? :D

You know what? GlaDos Portal - RGGHHHH! I hate you! - YouTube
You are nuts…

Last edited:
Re: Inventors Portrait Photos redux

handwriting from Lloyd:

What is that from?

Flux Capacitor Sketch: interesting, slipped away from my sight… but why would Christopher make slightly different sketches?

Christopher PROBABLY didn't make those sketches. Stuff like this is up to the prop department to design and make for production. That's usually the case, the actors don't handle the props so the difference is probably a mess up by the prop guys who had to draw it.

Also, from the screen cap, I'm noticing little differences in the available version online and the one in the movie. Here's just a few I outlined.

Also little details like the lines overlapping too much.

Really fascinating! I still believe it's Chris' handwriting, if you look again at the picture with the chalkboard as well as the ficticious equations XxYx6x. I can only guess, that he just remembered some stuff and did it on the fly. I don't remember the show, it's on futurepedia, where I found it.

Yeah its a shame... I gave away the Fantastic Magazine and Tales from Space Cover, now they are on Ebay...

Its good to see that still some people make free stuff for those, who aren't such a*****s like the ebay sellers...

BTW: Still need the Brown Mansion destroyed newspaper clips, anyone made ever made 'em?

I remember someone, who wanted to seel 'em, but he deletes the offer to make it more acurate, never heard back anything from him...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back