Museum Replicas SW costumes

I realize that this is an older thread, but I'm interested in people's input about the MR officer's uniforms.

I've been a serious costumer for years, working mostly at various renaissance faires etc., and have only recently gotten into Star Wars costuming applications, but my experience (and obsession) with historical accuracy has bled over into this new direction. I have hired a professional seamstress to work on my guardsman robes, and am considering hiring her to put together screen-accurate RotJ Line- and Staff- Officer uniforms. I retain the services of a seamstress because her skill with cloth much surpasses my own, tailored pieces fit and wear much better, and are more durable than off-the-shelf pieces.

That said, /Shocking gasp! I'm looking into purchasing a MR uniform, to save time and money.

My point is that since I'm on a budget, I'm already shelling out over $1K for for the crimson and burgundy robes (and accessories) of my RotJ Imperial Guardsman getup, would it be worth me getting a MR Deathstar Officer's uniform (I already have boots)?

My preference, of course would be to have the costume tailored, but the cost adds up significantly quickly.

For those of you that have purchased, or are in the know, how are the MR uniforms as far as heft/wear, screen-accurate color, lining, durability, etc...?

Last edited:
I've also been considering an MR Obi Wan costume, but I have seen very little in the way of pictures/reviews from customers.

Sean

Bump.

I'm just looking for an honest opinion from someone who has bought/handled/worn the uniforms, so as to determine the pros and cons vs. having the uniforms tailored. If there is negatives, I'd like to know, but please be respectful; ie: no MR-bashing just for the sake of it.

I went ahead and ordered the black hat, both rank badges, two code cylinders, and two belt boxes. I'll report on them when they arrive.

I'm also considering purchasing the boots, as my quest for proper leather knobelbelchers and officer's riding boots is getting frustrating. A decent pair of no zipper knee-length parade boots costs upwards of $400, whereas MR's price is half that. If anyone has a source for top-buckle jackboots, I'd appreciate the tip.

I have both the gray/green and black Imperial Officer caps. They are nice but I've seen better fan made ones. This is because the fabric doesn't stay too well in shape like it should be, it usually looses it

When you put it on your head it doesn't look 100% like it should. The top part gets deformed too easily.

My MR order arrived today. I was mostly satisfied with it. Some of the items were not described on the website, so when they arrived, they were not what I expected; namely the rank bars.

So the breakdown:
Death Star Officer's Cap: $40
Code Cylinders x2: $40
Three rank bars (three red, three blue, and four blue): $45
Shipping $17.95

The hat, imho, is acceptable. The fabric is a bit thin, and it was shipped flat, so it was wrinkled like crazy, the liner is basically cheap muslin, and the greeblie was a notched pulley. Due to sizing advice on the website, I ordered the XL, which even for my huge noggin is a bit loose. However, the overall look on my head seems to work.

The code cylinders look a bit thick and don't have brass clips. They seem to be made of aluminum (with a steel bolt core) and have a steel clip. The blue tip is hardware that has been painted. $20 for a knockoff dosimeter is a bit much, imho, but still better than shelling out upwards of $150 on everyone's favorite auction site.

The rank cylinders are going back. I'm sorry, MR, but these are terrible. Firstly, they are all plastic. The mounting plate is chromed plastic, and the tiles are plastic squares with two pegs in the back that have been loosely glued onto the plate. No attempt was made to even make sure the tiles were attached evenly. The back didn't even have a pin to attach to the uniform jacket, it had double-sided-tape! Absolute crap, and they are going right back to MR. $15-apiece? These things aren't even worth $0.99.

The belt boxes haven't arrived yet, as apparently they are on back order.

Gotta love that made in china logo. It seems like all officially licensed products are made in china and all fan made products, which always seem more accurate, are made in the US, Europe, and elsewhere. Hmmmmmm...

MR's stuff is made in India. But yeah, the plastic rank badges backed with double-sided tape? Cheap. The quality of their stuff seems hit-and-miss. I actually like the code cylinders, and the hat isn't bad. I'm hoping that I don't have to send the belt boxes back as well.

^ Is that a damaged rank badge? ^

Gotta love that made in china logo. It seems like all officially licensed products are made in china and all fan made products, which always seem more accurate, are made in the US, Europe, and elsewhere. Hmmmmmm...

Tell me about it ;)

I have both caps on display next to my 1:1 AT-AT and TIE Pilot busts/armors. They look nice, though as I said, wish the tailoring would be a bit stronger, maybe the caps to hold the shape better.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back